The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default least expensive rural area with real winter?

dh and i are ready to move and hope to find a horse property on a lake or pond.
    new england real estate is pretty dang pricey, western new york state is a candidate for sure, but what about the midwest? we HATE humidity with a passion btw, so anywhere that is the norm is out for us.
    the northwest? dakotas? where else should we look?

Northern Minnesota.
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

No humidity, real winters - Montana and Idaho might work for you. There are lakes and rivers too.

Wyoming, eastern Montana, the Dakotas...southern Idaho but not northern.

Inexpensive is relative. If you need to work you have to be pretty careful!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Bend, Oregon--high desert so you have winter with snow, but lots of clear, dry, cold days followed by a warm to hot summer with NO humidity at all. Dry, though, but green toward Sunriver. Spokane, Washington also will do--same idea as Bend, but 4 seasons, trees, too.

Southern Willamette Valley (Medford, Ashland?). Hood River, Oregon, too.

How much horsey life? Jobs? Recreation needs?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

South Dakota has really nice weather, but their horse scene, at least in the Sioux Falls area, is lacking.

IL can get humid, but western IL/MO line is cheap living....I know, I'm from there and the trail riding is pretty extensive.

Depends on what you want to do with your horses. If you're looking for property to ride around on, then you have lots of options. If you're wanting to compete then that's something else entirely.

The midwest is pretty humid. Colorado has a real winter and is pretty dry. Land prices in Western Colorado are reasonable.

Question

How do you feel about wind?
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I love the whole Long Valley area of Idaho. Winters are real, summers are freaking fantastic and you can still find decent properties if you look. McCall sits on Payette Lake and Cascade sits on (and near) Lake Cascade. They are both in Valley County.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_County,_Idaho
    Sheilah

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Wyoming is gorgeous but windy, Western Dakotas are an option, Montana is gorgeous. I'm in CO and I hate it here, but we have snow flying from Oct to May! Windy where I am. It really depends on how much of a horse scene, what kind of horses, how close to a town, good medical facilities, shopping, etc you need to be. In NE Colorado, if you don't mind dry land, you can be on a decent small farm for well under 300K
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

As a former Valley County resident (of 15 yrs) the winters are very long (snow for Halloween & Easter most years) & lots of snow. I didn't find it ideal horse country but it IS beautiful! Oh, and jobs are few, far between, & low paying. Are you retiring?

That's the same weather that most of Montana has and our land is pretty expensive. It is absolutely gorgeous but the powers that be consider that part of the paycheck-it can be difficult to get ahead around here! Check Bozeman, Missoula, Helena, ect... Billings is more out in the flats and not as scenic IMO. And WY/CO is south from there. Long winters, lots of wind, very dry, but beautiful.

Utah is really pretty but water could be scarce. Unless you count irrigation ponds/ditches which might help.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    I'm in CO and I hate it here, but we have snow flying from Oct to May!
    Solid? From Oct - May? Where are you?

All along the front range, it snows, it melts. It snows, it melts. We got SO little snow this winter (which is why we have SO MUCH FIRE now )

Colorado has 300 sunny days a year and is beautiful most of the time. We don't have much in the way of ticks or fleas. It is a lovely place to live and have horses, for the most part.

I'm not sure where it's really CHEAP, though, except maybe on the western range or waaaay out on the eastern plain. You might as well be living in Kansas, though, if you go east enough for it to be cheap.

If you don't have to worry about finding work, I'd head up to Montana, the Dakotas, or Idaho...maybe the out of the way areas of northern New Mexico?

rustbreeches hit the nail on the head - what else do you need around you- ie how remote do you want to be? The horse situation varies enormously, as does access to certain amenities like grocery stores, vets, farriers, airports, etc.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Simkie, not solid, but we do get snow in Oct, and I have seen accumulation as late as May1. I'm out east of Greeley, which may in part explain why I hate CO so much!!

And nobody tells you that those 300+ sunny days come with wind. Lots of wind

Can you even SEE the mountains from way out there rustbreeches? I don't think it counts as living in Colorado if you can't see the mountains

The eastern plains suck, for sure. Not a place I would want to be. We get a lot less wind along the front range. And we definitely didn't have snow into May this year, at least. Maybe MARCH. Very unseasonal.

I'm getting clausterphobic just reading this!!

If you are from/living in the Northeast, will you be comfortable moving to an interior state?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Yep! I can see the mountains from the dairy! I was not cut out to live in such a dry, cold climate. I miss green and grass and hills and trees and the ocean. I like the 4 distinct seasons of VA, and God help me, I even like humidity. Esp when I am living in a tinder box

We always quote that stupid movie Dumb and Dumber when we are headed back West from VA, and hit the CO line. "John Denver was full of sh!t, you can't see the mountains.

DH threatened a move to Morgan County last year when a dairy came up for sale, and I agreed, as long as the kids and I got a house in Ft. Collins and we would come out on weekends

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I'm getting clausterphobic just reading this!!

If you are from/living in the Northeast, will you be comfortable moving to an interior state?
    Claustrophobic? Do you know how much SPACE we have out here?

The don't call Montana "big sky country" for nothing

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/202725_f520.jpg

http://www.americasknitting.com/imag...ky_002_000.jpg

A lot of the west is like that.

I get terribly claustrophobic sometimes when I go back east. All of those people and trees and cities all on top of each other. It just feels so tight. I like to be able to look over the mountains and plains and see storms moving in 100 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    DH threatened a move to Morgan County last year when a dairy came up for sale, and I agreed, as long as the kids and I got a house in Ft. Collins and we would come out on weekends
    Yes! Come to Fort Collins! You will like it far better than east of Greeley