The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PSA**Wear your vest- as well as your helmet- when riding a greenie!

I should have known better, I jumped on my friends green bean without my vest. Thank God my helmet did it's job.

I suffered a collapsed lung, chest tubes in the ER are the most painful thing ever. 4 broken ribs/left posterior 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th and a concussion. At least I'm still alive, just wishing this pain would subside some. I have had other breaks in the past but never ribs, ouch.. it hurts!

1 members found this post helpful.

So sorry to hear this...are you going to be ok? I am riding a retraining project, think I am going to go dig out my Tipp vest, just to be safe. I feel really bad for you....hope you heal quickly!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Yowch! I broke a few two years ago when I blew up my shoulder, and gosh, they do make life hell.

I wear my vest on my packer, every ride, because I never want to feel that again...or at least make it not as severe.

Feel better soon-- take those pain meds, and stay ahead of it!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Default every ride

I wear my vest every ride.

I was picking berries off my good horse on Tuesday when he stepped sideways and I lost my balance and tumbled to the ground (sorry no video).

The ground was very hard. The piece of protective clothing which saved me the most was my long sleeved shirt. Otherwise I think I would have been quite scraped.

sigh.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton