The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Traders Point Charity horse show

I am trying to decide where to go in August and I am interested in how big this show is for the jumpers? High Schooling and 1.20/1.25 open jumper classes? I looked for class counts from last year online but couldn't find it.

How many horses were there last year?

Thanks!

So I just shot a text off to one of my good friends who did jumpers around here up to small grand prix's- she did trader's point as well. Her text was:
    "LOVED IT!! The grass arena is tricky and they set heights at exactly the height- no over/under (unlike kentucky). I never showed in the other ring but it looked fine. Look at the schedule and try to get in the grass ring!" She said it was one of her favorite shows. Hope that helps! (Sorry I can't help you out with numbers..)

My barn goes every year, and if I remember correctly (I haven't been since 2010), the jumpers are well represented. The jumper annex has nice footing. The grass field does get a bit hard by the end of the week, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems. I am probably wrong, but I remember the jumpers running all day in the annex ring, but the grass field being done by 1 or 2.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

The jumper numbers are always good there but I have to say the region has not had much rain and I can only imagine the grass ring will being harder then a rock unless they have or plan on watering it. Plus it never fails that the electricity will go out and it will be horribly hot. I've never liked the schedule either because most of the amatuer stuff runs during the week. I did like the fair and the office staff was nice but I can honestly say for myself that unless this show was in my back yard or I need points I won't go.
    I want to be like Barbie because that bitch has everything!

Jumper numbers are always good. Fun courses and the grass field is a blast. Be prepared for HOT!!! I was there in 2010 and I think it was over 100 every day. The circuits get over loaded and the power goes out in the tents a lot. Horses and humans alike were pretty miserable at no fault of the management or facility. Just too hot :/
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

I live very close so if you go I want to meet another COTHer!

I have never shown there but I have been there as a spectator and I have ridden on the grounds for a hunt club function. This facility is ONLY used for the one show a year plus the foxhunters run through it.

You would be jumping in a large sand ring with another sand warm up ring. There is a grass grand prix ring which has an irrigation system so it will stay green and soft but it really isn't used except for the bigger classes especially if it's wet. There is a lot of room for hand walking, grazing, and lunging. I think there is an area for motor home hook ups, and most of the trailer/car parking will be on grass.

It can either be VERY hot or it can rain a ton. There is a "fair" type area with multiple vendors and fair food booths.

Default Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by DeucesWild11 View Post
    "LOVED IT!! The grass arena is tricky and they set heights at exactly the height- no over/under (unlike kentucky). I never showed in the other ring but it looked fine. Look at the schedule and try to get in the grass ring!" She said it was one of her favorite shows. Hope that helps! (Sorry I can't help you out with numbers..)
    Oh and we were stabled next to Margie Engle, very nice and classy lady! Oh, and if I remember correctly, the numbers were good!

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I am trying to decide where to go in August and I am interested in how big this show is for the jumpers? High Schooling and 1.20/1.25 open jumper classes? I looked for class counts from last year online but couldn't find it.

Thanks!
    You can always calculate class counts by looking on the USEF website for the results from the previous year.
    I know it's a bit tricky and not for the lazy because you'll have to actually do some math or count the number of DNP horses but you can calculate the counts.

The results from last year are posted on the TPH web-site so you can look at the jumper numbers. The grass ring does get watered so the footing should be okay and before the show last year all the electrical was redone and there was no issue with the power being overloaded. We had fans running all the time and had no problems at all. New management took over two years ago but overall there have not really been many changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Quartergirl View Post
    The results from last year are posted on the TPH web-site so you can look at the jumper numbers.
    I clicked on the 2011 show results link and it took me to one of the horse showing online sites and I only saw shows for 2012. Perhaps I didn't dig down deep enough? I will take another look and see if I can find the 2011 show on that site. : )

Cool Well I hope you go ! and return with sensational pictures of your 'boys' !

Suppose to be a wonderful show ~

I hope you go and return with ribbons and pictures of your 'boys' PPLLEEAASSEE !!

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post

Thanks!
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I loved Traders Point when I went in 2009. Child/Adult jumpers were massive (not as bad as Conyers but definitely the 2nd biggest C/A class I've competed in.) We were in tents so that wasn't so wonderful but the footing was nice.

Actually Beezie Madden schooled me that show, so I may be a little bias from the memory. Ah to have the money to ride with her full time. Le sigh..