The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Poor horse is a bleeding hunk... which fly sheet?

Had to bring my poor boy (young grey TB) inside yesterday as the flies were bothering him to the point that he was bleeding in spots all over and covered in hives. Nasty little green flies. He's never had this reaction before but he's turned out alone in a round pen, recovering from a injury, so he doesn't have a buddy to help keep the flies off. We don't want to turn him out at night because the dew makes the grass slippery, which would make him more likely to reinjure himself.

He keeps a fly mask on so I'm going to try a fly sheet. Any recommendations?

Sorry, can't really help with fly sheet recommendations. Does his round pen not have a shelter? I sure would get that horse inside though.

a lot of these are great. I have the Mosquito Belly Band Flysheild sheet and love the fit.
    http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...un-protection/
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Fly sheets and blankets are a mystery I have yet to solve - although I consistently hear good things about Schneiders, http://www.sstack.com/. I have a Saratoga fly sheet for my mare which I like fine, but, down where I am, it is just too hot and humid to add a layer of anything.

I highly recommend Mosquito Halt by Farnam (which is for flies and mosquitoes). It was recommended by Horse Journal and was the first spray I used. Recently, I ran out and Tractor Supply didn't have it in stock, so I got 3 other sprays that I'd heard recommended Pyranha, Endure, and Ultra-Shield EX -- they were a joke and don't work at all. I am on the Mississippi Gulf Coast living in a swamp, so the bugs are insane. I don't know how they sell the other fly sprays given how much better Mosquito Halt works. Just spray on (or apply with a mitt) once a day before turnout.

I also use Equi-Spot on my gelding that believes that fly spray = death, but down here it has to be reapplied weekly - definitely doesn't last as long as they say it does.

No shelter but it's surrounded by trees so he has plenty of shade for most of the day. He's in his stall at night and I will be keeping him in during the day as well while the flies are this bad.

However, I'd like to get him out again ASAP because we need to start tack walking him, and he needs some kind of limited turnout to stay sane under saddle.

I haven't found any fly spray that works for more than a few hours so I generally reserve it for when I'm riding them. I'll try Mosquito Halt but I've never seen it... may not be available in Canada.

I like the Rambo Protector

Sounds like he's having a reaction... if it doesn't clear up I'd recommend bug-off supplement.

I'd just turn him out at night. IMO dewy grass isn't very likely to make your horse re-injure himself unless he's running around in the pen and slips. If he's running around he could re-injure himself anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    I'd just turn him out at night. IMO dewy grass isn't very likely to make your horse re-injure himself unless he's running around in the pen and slips. If he's running around he could re-injure himself anyway.
    Honestly, this ^^^^

and this:
    http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...esh-fly-sheet/

I just bought that sheet for my TB and REALLY like it. Breathable, looks to be durable and the blue would be very cute on your gray horse.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

OK, will talk to my BO/trainer about night turn-out. That is what he was on before the injury, and we never had a problem with him and flies.

Cute flysheet, JB!

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/EOUS-Dunbar-Fl.../dp/B005XJV8MW

It fits well, stays in place, and isn't too hot. Plus you get to make fun of your gelding--"Why hello there ma'am, that's a mighty purty dress you're wearing".
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Kcmel, it's gorgeous but he's already angry enough at me already for (1) putting him on stall rest for months and (2) then in limited turnout with no roughhousing time with his buds, and (3) to top it off I am paying too much attention to that redheaded bi*** that I am riding instead of him. That flysheet would end our relationship, I'm pretty sure of it.

Both the Rambo and Amigo line have flysheets that have insecticides "built in" that last through 25 washings.

I have the Amigo one and I really like it.

If you have a particular brand that fits him well and you like in winter blankets/sheets, I would recommend getting that brand's fly sheet (Rambo/Weatherbeeta/etc.) The thin mesh ones don't hold up as well, but are soooo much cooler. With the really thick, stiff mesh there will be many days when it's too hot to use, and why have a fly sheet if you can't even use it? I would definitely get one with a removable neck cover. Some days its too hot to use the neck, but it's really nice to have when the weather allows.

He was out this morning. Although it was hot, there was a good breeze and he seemed OK hanging out in the shade. Brought him in at noon when I saw signs that the flies were beginning to bother him.

If he can't be turned out at night, limiting it to morning may be the way to go.

Default Kensington Fly Sheet?

I just purchased a Kensington Fly sheet (on sale at Smart Pack) because the reviews were so good. Haven't put it on my guy because it is so bloody hot and I do not want to cook him. Before I put it on him, I would love to hear any reviews on it. I tried the Amigo bug buster but my gelding got himself wrapped up in it and I am just too worried to leave it on him when I am not around (returned it).

As for the bites, I would try adding garlic to his food. Trust me, it makes your horse less tasty for the bugs. For the current bites, I mix up the blue gold bond powder with aloe vera gel and till its a paste and then I put it on the open wounds. For the bumps that are really bad, I try to put Surpass around the welt (not in the open wound area) to bring down the swelling.

I know that the gold bond powder (blue specifically) does repel the flys a bit. I puff it on dry to my pinto's legs when he gets those oozy knat bites.

Good luck
    Keep in mind...normal is just a dryer setting.~anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by mkevent View Post
    Both the Rambo and Amigo line have flysheets that have insecticides "built in" that last through 25 washings.

I have the Amigo one and I really like it.
    Schneiders does too now . And I'm all about the Schneiders mosquito mess fly sheet! I've gone through a dozen other sheets and they fall apart and fit terrible.

These things are great:

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...sh-fly-sheets/

Here's their new one with the vapor shield, but I haven't tried it:
    http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...y-sheet-34197/

Lots of good ideas, thanks COTHers!

I'm in Canada and I doubt they would ship anything impregnated with insectide here; I've already tried it with people clothes (Bug-Off shirts), and no US companies will ship to Canada since they have not been approved here.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    a lot of these are great. I have the Mosquito Belly Band Flysheild sheet and love the fit.
    http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...un-protection/
    It's hard to tell from the picture, but do you have to slide that over the horse's head to put it on? It looks awesome, but not sure how my horse will deal with that!

I have a Turtle Neck Fly Turtle for my beast that is really hard on her clothes but needs to be covered head to toe or she gets covered in welts and drops 50 lbs a day. It doesn't rub her big shoulders, is guaranteed not to rip or tear for a year, and covers her from top to bottom. I also have a Bucas fly sheet, which is very nice but not quite as durable. It does block more sun, though.