The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Promotional Video for Riding at Mount Holyoke College

Very well done. The only thing missing is guys riding.

http://youtu.be/Mf8muOY7Lqs
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Back in 1979 when I was a senior in college, my school had an equestrian team but no facility, no horses. Mt. Holyoke let us use their facility and their horses. It wasn't as nice back then as it is now, but it was great. I got to ride my favorite horse at our show, which we put on at their facility, and I won!!

This brings back nice memories. Thanks for sharing, Mike.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

And in a little over a year I will be one of those science geeks in the riding program! Would be starting this fall but I'm taking a gap year to ride. MHC is my dream college and I am so happy to be going there.

Well, Mike, that would be because it is a women's college, LOL. It was my dream school when I was a junior but after further digging, I changed my mind and ended up at a lovely place in VA (that sadly no longer exists really) that changed my life forever. But more power to places empowering women across the nation!!

Do you have to pay to ride at Mt. Holyoke College? I am only familiar with NCAA schools.

Do you have to pay to ride at Mt. Holyoke College? I am only familiar with NCAA schools.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Well, Mike, that would be because it is a women's college, LOL.
    I was seriously about to say... Was he kidding? Mt. Holyoke is a Seven Sister school.

ETA: I'm noticing the "wink" face. So I think that was a joke.

Yes, you have to pay to ride. The classes are considered PE classes that you get credit for but there is an up charge. When I was a student hmm 26 years ago the fee was 175 - 2 lessons a week. I'm sure it is more now...

Most of the 7 sisters aren't just for sisters these days.
    Last edited by Bells; Jun. 29, 2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added info

Default Credit where credit is due

I was at Holyoke 1968-72, and would love to see our riding teacher from those days get a little credit. John Moffat and his wife Elaine were dedicated people working in what was then a dismal facility, especially in 68-69. They were hardworking, kind, great at sharing all their knew, which was a lot; gave it their all. They also had students come to their home for dinners and a little family time. They were great, and no one seems to remember them now. Thank you Moffats, you saved my life at Mt. Holyoke! Lisa Young

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Well, Mike, that would be because it is a women's college, LOL.
    However they do allow men in their courses. They are part of the 5-college consortium in western mass that allows cross-registering among schools. You'd be surprised how many guys you see on campus!
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

I was w/Moff from 1977 until 1984 (I was a local yokel who went to MHC) and then another summer in 86 at Teelawooket. He was a great instructor and a lovely person.

And for those who ride but don't want to do the IHSA, there are some good barns in the area if you want to bring your own. For those who don't know MHC, it is not a school for "equestrian studies" - it is for those who are not faint of heart about strenuous academics!

Quote Originally Posted by jonquil View Post
    I was at Holyoke 1968-72, and would love to see our riding teacher from those days get a little credit. John Moffat and his wife Elaine were dedicated people working in what was then a dismal facility, especially in 68-69. They were hardworking, kind, great at sharing all their knew, which was a lot; gave it their all. They also had students come to their home for dinners and a little family time. They were great, and no one seems to remember them now. Thank you Moffats, you saved my life at Mt. Holyoke! Lisa Young
    I rode with Mr. Moffat as a child. He wintered in Naples FL. He and his wife were lovely people and great horsepersons. He also judged quite a bit while he was in town. Really fantastic memories ..the few times I showed where he was judging he was the sort that always took the time to come chat with the children and juniors giving tips and hints and atta boys/girls for well done moments.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    I was w/Moff from 1977 until 1984 (I was a local yokel who went to MHC) and then another summer in 86 at Teelawooket. He was a great instructor and a lovely person.
    I worked with John Moffat when I was an instructor at Teela-Wooket in 1980...we probably knew some of the same horses. I remember riding a chestnut mare named Cheap Trick on a regular basis. There was a dark bay named Vestabar, a big bay gelding called "City", can't remember his whole name, who I remember schooling at the GMHA show before the camper who was showing him got on.

I think you were recalling Cute Trick. She was lovely. We also had a good looking chestnut gelding around that time called Quiet Time (QT) but he was so nice that he was sold on rather quickly.
    A lot of the horses at TW weren't MHC horses - quite a few came from a big rental outfit. City and Vestabar probably came from him as I'm sure they weren't at MHC when I was there.

If you are on Facebook there is a page for TW. They are having a reunion this summer.