The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Has anyone seen this before?? Worried

So,
    I have a gelding that went on lease for about a month. Just got back today... He got off the trailer, galloped around for about 20-30 minutes.. Bucked, rolled, played, hopped.. He was just having fun. Anyway. I noticed this thing on him. It is not from him playing.. It was there since he got off the trailer (I know because I had kind of noticed it before enough to know it was there.. But until I stood behind him I didn't see how bad it was. Even then, I wasn't really shocked until I compared it to an old picture and now I am super super super worried and freaking out..)

anyway. Here are some before and after pictures. He has a vet appointment on Wednesday.. I gave him a gram of bute (not sure if that will help) and i ran cold water over it for a while (it doesn't feel hot... and it just feels... weird.. kind of like a clump of muscle or something except its obviously not..)
    I just want an idea in the meantime.. to know if I should be more or less concerned

the right side is bigger than the left side.

before
    http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...0/Albefore.jpg

after
    http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...0/alafter1.jpg
    http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...0/alafter2.jpg
    http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/...0/alafter3.jpg

my poor boy I don't know if i will be able to sleep until wednesday

I can't see what you're talking about. What is bigger? It looks like he lost a little weight and his spine is sticking up more, but not noticeably on the right. Depending on which leg he's weighting it looks like it's higher on that side, but he actually looks the same as in the first picture, but with less weight.

I thought Hunter's bump, perhaps, but I'm by no means an expert.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Hunters bump. SI joint. Is he sore or lame or it just looks different? Plenty of horses can be sound with a butt that looks like that. Others may benefit from things like an SI injection. Since it is a new and dramatic change, I'd be having the vet out as you are doing. But if he is sound and it's not bothering him, it may not be a big problem.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I thought it might be a hunter's bump.. but I am just worried how he could have possibly gotten it that fast and all. It looks a LOT worse than it shows up in the pictures.

And no, he had equal weight on both legs in the pictures that are close up. I made sure.

He doesn't appear to be lame. He seems like he may be sore when I press on it but then again he doesn't really like to be touched much to begin with. He is not an affectionate horse

hes under weight thats why its so prominant hes needs a few more grocies as he has proverty lines to

and thats why you noticed something wrong - as hes your horse

compare old pics when you had him to now you will see what i mean
    good spot - he needs food plus fittening up so it builds his top line back up

He was about the same weight before though. He is just a hard keeper and naturally very lean (not denying he needs groceries but I am just saying, he is the same weight as when he left. We are working on the weight)

The pictures really do no justice. It is very prominent and noticeable when his hind end was round on the top before. He has been having a few issues.. (stepping shorter with the left... etc) that I was calling the vet out to begin with before I saw this but he is not any 'lamer' than he was when he left. He is actually 'sound' just with a few odd problems. He is 14 yrs old. tb x hanovarian cross but registered oldenburg

Could this new bump be the result of something serious like slipping, falling, hurting himself etc with the person that leased him?

the "before" picture was taken like only a couple of days before he left

May have thrown himself off kilter there a bit...my late mare did that from time to time and her hunter's bump was very noticeable when it happened.
    An adjustment to pop things back in place did wonders.
    She was a large boned lady and her shenanigans resulted in the rare knocking herself out of whack. Usually from a roll when she went down too hard on one hip.

Never noticed a stride/soundness change until it was adjusted and then her trot went from big to *huge.*
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Take a look at this : http://www.kentuckyhorse.org/henneke...ition-scoring/ and some of the pictures.

The old guy has a butt like that, he's underweight and has a lack of muscling on his topline partly because of his Cushing's. He is even on both sides though, I am not sure what is happening on your horse because I'm seeing a high side, but it's not the same in all the pics - is that just me?

The first time I ever saw that set of bumps was when I got my mare as a teen. I was used to QH and ponies and they have to be really underfed to see that, but TB and some older horses, not so much. I never could get the weight back on her the way I wanted but back then we didn't realize the importance of free feeding good quality hay nor have the easily used dewormers of today.

And yes if he has a higher side he may need an adjustment.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

If it is due to weight changes, maybe it is possible he lost some water weight on the super long trailer ride (2,000 miles)?
    The pictures "after" were only about 5 hours after he had been off the trailer. (I gave him 'alfalfa soup' made out of alfalfa cubes and electrolytes and he has been drinking a lot so maybe he will look better tomorrow?)

I have a TB that spooked and jumped onto the pavement, went down spreadeagle onto his belly and leaped back up onto all fours instantly, all with me on top. It did damage his SI and gave him a similar appearance to your horse's. So a specific event/injury could have been the cause of the change in your guy.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

We are/have been working on the weight but I really support my original statement that he was near the same weight when he left although maybe he just lost water

Before he left he was getting ultium, free choice pasture 24/7 round bales of hay

now, he will be slowly changed to triple crown senior, free choice hay, and mashed alfalfa cube 'soup' (probably rice bran too)

I guess I will just have to wait and see on wednesday and pray he remains sound and happy until then

No way is that just weight. Possibly some muscle loss is accentuating it (i.e. loss of topline due to not working correctly), but if his spine were that prominent due to being skinny, I'd expect less gluteal muscle than what he has, and a more prominent hip. Once the spine starts sticking out, you are going to have some muscle wasting. I agree with the other posters thinking its an injury- and probably has created a "hunters bump." Would be interested to hear the vets diagnosis.

Oh, chronic azoturia will cause muscle wasting. Eventually we discovered my mare was tying up far more frequently than was normal. Endless sets of hill climbing to develop muscles actually stressed her system too much and she would have an attack about twice a year and lose musculature. (remember this was over 40 years ago and the treatment was tubing and electrolytes)

It's extremely unlikely that is your boy's problem OP, although if he's just gotten back from a long long trailer ride he's not likely to be at his show ring best. The vet visit is probably a good idea just to check him over.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Is this the same horse you're asking for a vet recommendation for a lameness exam?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=358520

Quote Originally Posted by bec0820 View Post
    I have seen a couple of things pop up on google about this topic, but none had quite what i needed nor were they up to date.

Here is the story..
    I have a horse that is having a weird sort of "lameness" issue. He is not lame, but does something weird with one of his hind legs that is really hard to explain and has been that way since the day I got him. He is still able to be ridden, is not obviously lame, is able to be jumped (though of course he currently isn't until this is sorted out) and all that stuff. He just has a few weird problems.

Anyway, I need a very good vet in the Lexington area, however, we are currently having financial issues so I also need a vet that isn't insanely expensive and won't push to take unnecessary or expensive methods to diagnose and will understand a limited budget.

I know of Rood and Riddle, Hagyard, and all that. We have only lived in Lexington for about a year so that is the reason I don't really know the vets around.. We had a vet come out to do coggins, teeth, health certificate, etc. But honestly, he seems a bit young and inexperienced and I don't really trust him for this job.

I emailed rood and riddle to try to get a feel for the cost financially.. They didn't give me a good idea at all, go figure. I know it is EXTREMELY hard for them to do that when they have never seen my horse, but I never got a response to how much x rays cost per shot and all that. Also, the vet they told me that does lameness exams is Dr. Hopper. I know nothing about him so would anyone want to shed some light?

If anyone would like to give recommendations, give me an idea of the vet costs, recommend a specific vet to ask for at rood and riddle, etc. I would be very very grateful. Once again, I am on a tight budget but I will do what it takes for my horse.

Also, I have a feeling he will probably need hock injections (he is an older guy) anyone know how much that runs in the area? Thanks
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Oh, chronic azoturia will cause muscle wasting. Eventually we discovered my mare was tying up far more frequently than was normal. Endless sets of hill climbing to develop muscles actually stressed her system too much and she would have an attack about twice a year and lose musculature. (remember this was over 40 years ago and the treatment was tubing and electrolytes)

It's extremely unlikely that is your boy's problem OP, although if he's just gotten back from a long long trailer ride he's not likely to be at his show ring best. The vet visit is probably a good idea just to check him over.
    He does lack a top line. Especially muscle around his hind end area. I think he is having some minor arthritis in his hocks but enough to warrant injection and I think (I have finally put a bunch of small symptoms that I just attributed to needing more conditioning) it warrants injections. I was thinking (although he has not lost more muscle mass than he had before he left really) that if he is having any back pain, MAYBE it is from going so long with hock pain (Like i said, his possible hock pain has never been outright obvious.. its a bunch of little things I am putting together)

Well, the vet will see him on wednesday like I said and when he does, I will update everyone. Maybe it is an acute injury.. Maybe it is chronic back pain alone.. Maybe it is hock pain. He did had adjustments twice (though it was in like december) and it didn't seem to make any difference (he didn't have that bump.. just a few small things like crossfiring) so it could be hock pain causing back pain so of course I cant treat any back pain without treating something else (if there is something else first) or else any back treatment won't last.

He is comfortable (well appears to be) and that is all that matters right now (though of course, vet appointment already scheduled and won't be cancelled unless the world ends) I find it a little funny the vet is working on fourth of july though... I hope he remembered it is the fourth of july and doesnt cancel on ME

I think he was not fed well and not enough on a regular basis, (quality poor). Was he on pasture most of type time or limited on hay

You are describing classic symptoms of SI soreness. And if the SI is sore, his hocks are probably sore too. Please let us know what you find out from your vet appt. My boy has similar symptoms so am very interested in what is suggested for you.

Sorry, I'd be freaked out too. Tell us what the vet says......
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.