The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I think I need this mini-mule (for my horse)

I found a weanling teeny-tiny mini mule today and I just went to see him. I really think I need him.

My mare lives all alone and I think she likes it that way. Last year, I got her a lamb for company and they tolerate each other at best. BUT, when I take my mare to shows (most weekends), they both freak out, but the lamb freaks more.

What say you about the mule. He is a little smaller than the lamb, but would end up being about her size. He is unhandled, but the guy was able to catch him in a catch-pen so I could pet him. Would he be a good companion?

Wish I knew how to post the pix I took on my phone. He's so STINKIN' cute!!

i have mini donks, and riding size mule............have heard ,and seems to be true in my case, that the mules bond better with horses than donks will........even when my donk was the only donk (now there are3), he was always the odd man out..............so, this mini mule should bond nicely with your horse........far better than a lamb,i would think........and besides, mules are sooo smart and soooooo cute, it's a win/win situation!
    okay, my grandson is helping me type, and requested the smiley faces....

^^ that post made me smile

The moral of that post above - one donkey or mule eventually turns in to more

BTW it is against forum rules to talk about a mini mule and not post pictures.

horseshrink is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

[QUOTE=hundredacres;BTW it is against forum rules to talk about a mini mule and not post pictures.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know. You should see him. Wish I knew how to post pics.

Do you think he would come around from not being handled? I don't want to wean him, geld him, move him and then at the same time, have my lamb be mean to him.

Company is a GREAT idea. A pony or goat will probably be the best low-maintenance, horse-preferred animal for a person who doesn't want the expense of another horse (although goats are escape artists and voracious omnivores, so need secure and non-edible environments). A mule has an entirely different mindset from a horse, and requires entirely different handling. From your post, it does not seem like you are mule-handling material. Lamb, yes; horse, perhaps; but mule -- no.
    Last edited by nightsong; Jun. 28, 2012 at 06:44 AM.

Iv'e got both a horse and a mule...I've only had a mule for 5 years.

Don't get any longear male without him being gelded before you get him. It's expensive and that cheap mule becomes expensive fast.

Some mules just aren't people oriented, some are. Mules like horses...mom was a horse after all and they seem to like mares especially well. They really are a low maintenance equid. Tough feet, take heat well and they live forever. Mules don't do too well with smaller animals, they tend to pick on them. They aren't difficult to train, just be patient, don't nag them and bribe them...mules like treats/bribes/munchies/oat and a few more treats...Meredith Hodges of Lucky 3 Ranch talks of having an oat-holder on your belt to reward your mule...my guy likes the idea.

I don't understand why nightsong said you weren't mule-handling material...they aren't a mysterious animal with rare and challenging handling requirements (e.g. zebra)...they really are very simple and patience is a big help.

Plus, mules don't worry about who's the alpha...they're more interested in food. They also don't seem to worry about their horse buddy leaving (mine sure doesn't, he's more annoyed that he isn't picked to go.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

My TB was living happily alone after I had to put his 2 friends down last year. Calm, quiet, lovely. Then I went and rescued 2 abused ponies. Now guess who is all attached and fretful when he can't see his new friends. I adore the ponies and am glad I have them but it is less peaceful here now...I'd say don't rock the boat!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Get a couple more sheep.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Company is a GREAT idea. A pony or goat will probably be the best low-maintenance, horse-preferred animal for a person who doesn't want the expense of another horse (although goats are escape artists and voracious omnivores, so need secure and non-edible environments). A mule has an entirely different mindset from a horse, and requires entirely different handling. From your post, it does not seem like you are mule-handling material. Lamb, yes; horse, perhaps; but mule -- no.
    I have a nubian goat and the horses adore him. He is inside braided wire that the horses respect and since he won't be outside of 30 feet away from them EVER, he's never attempted to escape. He will jump through the wire where we only have 2 strand though, but those are all my interior fences, so it's no big deal (exterior fences are 3 strand and he won't go through those).

He is the sweetest, gentlest animal I've ever known. We did bottle feed him so he's very tame. He's a very good babysitter for the horses.

This may work:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater