The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rate My Horse Pro

Anyone use this service...? Just wondering what the benefits of being a member were. Does this service help you bring in new clientele?

Like anything else on the internet, people say whatever they want.

If you take it with a grain of salt, it might be beneficial but I wouldn't take it as gospel or pay for it.

I just went over there and peeked at my local area trainer listings...3 are listed at adresses they vacated over a year ago and one has a dreadful reputation in both horse handling and personal issues despite a glowing testimonial. I suppose they depend on what is submitted, it's not an independent, neutral review.

I actually think getting a website and paying to keep it on top of the search engine lists is going to generate more inquiries as well as word of mouth in your local area.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I think the site is actually quite good and useful for those that wish to use it. For a few dollars you can advise people of your experiences and also list yourself if you are a trainer. They do seem to get a tremendous amount of traffic and they seem to be up-to-date on current events involving all different horse disciplines. Why not let them know certain folks have left a location and they would probably fix that. Truth is some trainers move every few months so not uncommon not to have updated locations. The reviews are no different then other sites that rate their doctors, teachers, sellers of products, blah blah blah. I looked in my area here in California and they have many trainers listed with what appear to be pretty accurate reviews.

When they started (or around 2009 or 10 maybe??) I mulled over advertising with them. While I liked the premise what I did not like was the political posturing on the Facebook for Rate My Horse Pro. It comes across as more like a cross between an activist and Fugly blog except the issues change frequently?

let's see, I thought it was like "Don't date him girl!" for horse folks. Unfortunately, not where I would pay to advertise
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I signed up and didn't fill in their questionnaire correctly, mainly because I have a private barn and didn't want to advertise as being open to the public so they took my five bucks and then said I couldn't join because I didn't fill out the questionnaire correctly.

They said I'd have to pay them another 5 bucks to try again. So what if they don't like the way I answered again? Then what? I have to PAY ANOTHER 5 BUCKS? So they entered incorrect info about me and my farm there you have it. Garbage in, garbage out; as they say in the database world.

I think a long time cother has a connection with the site. She is very good, if she's still affiliated with it.

I only read what is posted on coth about ratemyhorsepro so I don't know how they go about rating people.

I think that most of their traffic is generated by people reading all the law suit news of late ;-)
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

What chunky munky said.

Other than thd lawsuits I don't think a lot of people are using it. I live in Avery horsey area and there aren't many ratings up. I don't think enough people use it for the trainer and misc. professionals rating system to make it worthwhile.

The people who know enough to look up a rating are probably those who are "in thd know" enough to get the same info from friends and other contacts. The random joe who isn't as well connected probably doesnt know to look there. Besides, I think a lot of people are turned off by having to pay $5 on a CC to look at the site. I think thd ratings may also get skewed because people who want to give a bad rating (for legitimate reasons) are more likely to
    Pay the $5 than those who are happy with thd services of he same pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    I think that most of their traffic is generated by people reading all the law suit news of late ;-)
    Mea culpa. I go look too as it is the actual record of the suit/judgement whatever.

The rest of it is not really a "rating" service, it's whatever people want to say. Maybe some find it helpful in selecting a trainer, others use it as a gossip site.

Is the horse world not so small as to not know via word of mouth about a trainer? I understand if maybe you're selling a horse to someone you've never met before, but likely someone will know someone who knows someone if you've got something fancy enough to cross state lines.

I personally would rather hear testimonials from someone I can see face to face and know if their opinions are valid or not. It's so much easier to say crappy things about someone online where you can hide behind a screen name and not ever be held accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I signed up and didn't fill in their questionnaire correctly, mainly because I have a private barn and didn't want to advertise as being open to the public so they took my five bucks and then said I couldn't join because I didn't fill out the questionnaire correctly.

They said I'd have to pay them another 5 bucks to try again. So what if they don't like the way I answered again? Then what? I have to PAY ANOTHER 5 BUCKS? So they entered incorrect info about me and my farm there you have it. Garbage in, garbage out; as they say in the database world.

I would like to clarify that per the registration page and Terms of Service new members seeking to join Rate My Horse PRO are required to designate their industry status.

From the Terms of Service:

You are considered a horse industry professional (a “PRO”) if you sell goods or services within, produce an event related to, or otherwise vend to, the horse industry. You are considered a consumer or customer (a “Consumer”) if you are not in the business of selling or producing any goods or services within the horse industry, and you are solely a purchaser of goods or services from PROs. You must select which category you belong to as a part of the registration process, and you must make the selection truthfully. Failure to register in the proper category is grounds for suspension or revocation of your account.

We encourage everyone to utilize the site's ratings, whether you've had a great experience with a horse professional or not! You have the ability to share your voice. The $5 fee is utilized to verify the accuracy of the information being provided. The $5 identity verification fee is refundable within 24 hours of joining for those who rate 5 professionals.

Safe Riding!

Question - What if I joined as a consumer first but would now be considered a Professional??
    Love and Laughter - 2005 TB Mare - Boss Mare
    Foxfire Lacey - 2007 Half Welsh Superstar
    New Sensation - 1986- 2014 Love you to the moon and back

Quote Originally Posted by Rate My Horse PRO™ View Post
    I would like to clarify that per the registration page and Terms of Service new members seeking to join Rate My Horse PRO are required to designate their industry status.

From the Terms of Service:

You are considered a horse industry professional (a “PRO”) if you sell goods or services within, produce an event related to, or otherwise vend to, the horse industry. You are considered a consumer or customer (a “Consumer”) if you are not in the business of selling or producing any goods or services within the horse industry, and you are solely a purchaser of goods or services from PROs. You must select which category you belong to as a part of the registration process, and you must make the selection truthfully. Failure to register in the proper category is grounds for suspension or revocation of your account.

We encourage everyone to utilize the site's ratings, whether you've had a great experience with a horse professional or not! You have the ability to share your voice. The $5 fee is utilized to verify the accuracy of the information being provided. The $5 identity verification fee is refundable within 24 hours of joining for those who rate 5 professionals.

Safe Riding!
    That's all well and good, but I'm still confused as to why, under those terms and conditions (fair enough), Tidy still doesn't have either A)Her five dollars back or B)A membership of some sort.

I don't think this is the first instance I've heard where someone had issues with not getting what was promised and also not getting a refund on their $5.

Other than that...

I only read it when linked from this board to the law suits etc.
    I wouldn't pay to find out things I can find out through good word of mouth networking and diligent research. The source of the info on the pro's isn't solid enough for me to use as a foundation of an opinion.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Although I know most of the area trainers and have for years, I have not been a client of most and, really, outside of general observation, any ratings I could give would be heresay at best, gossip at worst.

Realizing that does not stop some people, but I don't know how 5 pros actually operate their business well enough to rate. I stayed in one place for 17 years and strikes me only a barn hopper could fulfill that honestly.

Oh, I can make a general recommendation and frequently do. But I am not going to rate 5 of them as if I had actual knowledge to save 5 bucks.

I like the site. No one is ever accountable in the horse industry and I look at it as a small step in that direction.

Your five ratings can be for trainers, farriers, and, in the future I believe shows, vets and tack stores. Lots of questions about facilities, customer service, personality, education, followup, etc. Maybe fifty or more questions. I thought it was worth a look and went through the process and got my $5 back. Of course, the legal info is very interesting and free. I did notice that most of the trainers in my area did not have any ratings yet.