The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Help me find my gelding sold about 15yrs ago to somewhere in CA

In 1997 Peter Pletcher sold my gelding to a "tall woman and her daughter" who were clients of Robert McNeel, they lived in California, they had been looking for a horse for 3 years before they found mine. Here is my gelding's info:

Dam: Lili (German Oldenburg)

Sire: Joe's Lin (TB)

DOB: 3/22/1993

Color: Dark Bay/Black, white stripe & snip on nose, white sock on right front and right hind leg

Size: was told he ended up being around 18 hands, he was 16.2 when he was sold as a 3-4 year old.

My father and I bred sport horses in Spring TX, my gelding's name was Wotan - he was my first horse. I have been looking for him for 2 years, but on 6/19 I had to put his Dam down (heartwrenching!) and now I am more determined than ever to find him. If you recognize him I would appreciate ANY information (no matter how old) you could give me!

I don't know how to attach a picture of him here, but the following link is him on my profile:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
    Last edited by jbragg82; Jun. 27, 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Link does not work.

But best advice would be contact McNeel about a great big horse he got from PP 15 years ago.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Try this link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

I have been in contact with McNeel, he doesn't remember his clients' name - it was quite a long time ago. He is trying to help me track him down....but I figured someone out there might recognize him.

Too bad the then AHSA records from that long ago probably did not make the transition to the digitized USEF format...none of mine did.

That white mark is pretty distinctive as is the name Wotan if they kept it. Maybe it will jog a memory in somebody.

Have you done a Horse Recording Search by Sire on the USEF.org website? There are horses registered that have Joe's Lin as the sire and Lili as the dam. I am not looking at the results right now, but I think two of them were bay.

Yup, there is one foaled in '94 with that breeding in Texas and another, foaling date unknown, in Va. Lots of others by that stud in Texas.

Unfortunately competition records prior to about 2002 or so are unavailable.

There are also about a dozen named Wotan, including a retired one in San Diego. But the details don't match.

The one foaled in 94 is his full brother, I raised him too. His name is Double Jeopardy, he still lives nearby. I found one that seems promising "Peaceful News" and another "Sweetness" that looks close. When he left he went to CA, but I know he could be anywhere now! Thanks so much for the help y'all - I had no idea where to start, I'm going to track down these leads now

Maybe try to contact someone at the Portola Valley Training Center in California??? I believe that's where Robert McNeel's barn was (called Excaliber iirc).