The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

"Skidrow" panels are County's version of the K panel - deeper through the front 1/3 or so, to help support the saddle on a big wither.

Since we are on the topic of County saddles...

I hear that they run wide than most saddles, then I hear they run narrow than most saddles, then I hear it depends on the model. I believe the later. Can anyone give me a guide to which models run wide and/or narrow?

Also, gusseted panels in the County: does that refer to the back panel? A used one I'm looking at has a "2.5in Gusset" & I'm trying to figure out where that gusset is. (Nope, not skid row panels.)

Since we are on the topic of County saddles...

I hear that they run wide than most saddles, then I hear they run narrow than most saddles, then I hear it depends on the model. I believe the later. Can anyone give me a guide to which models run wide and/or narrow?

Also, gusseted panels in the County: does that refer to the back panel? A used one I'm looking at has a "2.5in Gusset" & I'm trying to figure out where that gusset is. (Nope, not skid row panels.)

It depends a lot on the saddle. For example, the innovation runs huge. My innovation is marked a N and it is a solid MW, even with skid row panels, which it needs or it would fall on the wither of anything but a barrel with legs.

Gusseted panels could refer to a gusseted panel in the back, or to wither gussets...I'd have to see a picture of the saddle to tell you.

Usually, a 2.5" (or whatever measurement) gusset refers to the rear. The gussets in the front are usually called a wither or shoulder gusset, or a full front gusset.

I have the connection and It runs wider than my stubben scandica and wider than my courbette jumping saddle. It actually runs a good bit wider than both.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

rabicon, just FYI, one of the reason the Countys (and many other saddles) fit wider than the Courbettes and Stubbens is that they have shorter tree points. For example, Passier's (also measured in cm.s) 28.5 cm. "wide" tree fits more generously than Stubben's 32 cm. tree - all due to the shorter points. The trees are measured between the tree points pre-construction, so a 5" tree point measuring, say, 30 cm. will fit more generously than an 8" point measuring the same.

Having ridden primarily in County saddles for over 25 years, I'd say I like them! My oldest is still in good condition, a little faded. I do enjoy the padding in the newer seats.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I'm now anxiously awaiting my innovation And... the tree points is an interesting thing... I wonder if that's why FLeck likes these saddles so much!? He jumps amazing with the innovation. I can't wait til mine comes!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks. Didn't know that about the tree points. Learn something new everyday. Thanks for that explanation.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I've ridden in a Connection and a Competitor, and both of them pull my legs forward in a chair seat, so I have to constantly fight to keep my legs back. It doesn't make for a pleasant ride!

Chiming in here to say that I love the County dressage saddles, although as above I found the Competitor to have stirrup bars that were set too far forward. The newer ones have stirrup bars set back more so I haven't had the chair position problem.

I have an older Connection now and want to order one just for Mick in the near future. I will probably go with the Connection, and I am guessing he will measure out for MW with Skidrow panels. I have a M Connection now that doesn't fit him quite right and then I've got a Luc Childeric that fits everyone in the world except for him... The latter is a wonderful saddle but my old boney butt does so like the cushiness of the County.... I have never gotten a saddle custom fit before (I am cheap and I buy stuff used and mostly on ebay).

I jump in a Devocoux... and I know those aren't popular on this forum. So I will keep my mouth shut on that one...