The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cheap board needed near Malvern, PA

Searching for an inexpensive place to board 1 mare near Malvern, PA. Must have ring. Stall or field board. Can help with care but not all care due to my job. Backyard barns are totally fine, just can't find any advertised! Key words: very very inexpensive.

Any recommendations?

What do you consider "very very inexpensive"?

I am not sure that "inexpensive" and "Malvern" can be used in the same sentence- especially regarding board.

What are you considering inexpensive and what radius/time travel from Malvern are you considering as near?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

[QUOTE=SonnysMom;6399344]I am not sure that "inexpensive" and "Malvern" can be used in the same sentence- especially regarding board.
    QUOTE]

Now THAT is true! I am from Chester County and grew up riding in Malvern. Average board in the Malvern/Chester Springs area frequently pushes $1k/month... let's face it, it is a high-end locale and the clientele has money to spend.

What other areas are you willing to look in? Are you looking for a place that provides lessons or a trainer that comes in occaisionally?

Very flexible on type of place, don't need a trainer as I have one willing to travel or if the place prefers I use theirs that is fine as well. Within 30-40 minutes of the malvern area so that gives a pretty wide range. I know the area prices as I'm from here but I no longer have the finances for the high-end life. I think field board will be my best option at least until winter. Just need a safe place with a ring. Not very picky. There are plenty of small barns in the area but none big enough to advertise or with posted phone numbers, hoping someone on here might just know someone they could put me in touch with.

Try FB - I think there's a group that started about boarding in the area with people saying what they have available. Good luck!
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Search for the Coatesville area. It's 25 mins from Malvern and there is often low cost boarding advertised for that area. I never paid too much attention to the specifics as I am not looking to move my horse.

Parts of Coatesville are not the best, but the rural horsey parts are fine.

I must ask, do you have a specific price range you're looking to pay? As you stated, you grew up in the area, so you are familiar with the "cheaper" barns, I.E. none of them are very cheap. If I were you I'd head over to herritage and take a look at the classifieds board, see if any local family is looking to take on a self care boarder. I'd also check the equine marketer. Good luck! I wish I could help out.

Ask on the eventing board. That area is filled with eventers and they are more likely to do some self care type things that H/J'ers.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Just moved my two out of a "cheap" barn in Malvern. $450/horse for field board, Indoor, outdoor, $700 full board.

Now they're in Kennett and thriving on actual grass, but alas no indoor anymore. Now at $400/horse.

I would recommend the old place in a heartbeat, but I would caution that their supply of grass is low, but the care is good.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Em, I had you in mind in my previous post!
    F O.B

Yea but that barn, which you were at Linny, is all H/J'ers.

Malvern and areas nearby are more H/J related. Eventers are over in Coatesville and Unionville.

~Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I just posted about looking for someone like you to board with me I am between 25 & 40 min from Malvern depending on the time of day. Cheap board, ship in for training & shows (though I believe I am getting a house call this weekend!) would love someone to help with work - BUT we have a barn full of geldings! They've all gone out with mares before, but it would definitely take a special lady

Being an eventer I figured you would know some better options, like what you found for the boys. How are they doing on all that grass?
    F O.B