The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2008
    Location
    at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA
    Posts
    247

    Cool I was just seduced by a French accent and beautiful leather...

    Sigh...
    Back story:
    I bought my antares saddle 6 years ago for my tb/perch gelding, and I have loved it so much. When I started riding my 2 younger horses and retired the old guy, I used the saddle with some extra padding bc their backs were so scrawny. Last year, I put them in a real program for the first time in their lives, and they started gaining weight and muscle.

    Fast forward to present:
    A few weeks ago, I noticed my saddle "creaking", and then I noticed it wasnt sitting properly on Henry (or Hank the Tank, as he is now called) or Sam, so I called Antares to have some one come look at it.

    Call me naive, or just hopeful, but I really wanted some type of miracle to occur that would mean I didn't have to spend $$$$$. Secretly I knew. I just didn't want to admit it.

    Today the (charming French) Antares rep showed up, looked at my saddle (the squeaking sounded so much more pitiful by this time), when I showed him henry, he said "I know what the problem is....that horse is enormous!" (17.1 with huge shoulders and a butt that makes mine look tiny). He put me in about 6 saddles on each horse, and you guessed it... I ended up ordering a new saddle!

    To be fair, I probably never had a chance. Beautiful leather, cute French guy (who told me I actually could use a SMALLER seat, woohoo!), and my infamous weakness wherever Henry or Sam is concerned. I was doomed before he set foot on the farm...



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 31, 2007
    Posts
    14,888

    Default

    How much did you spend to have a french guy tell you that your butt is skinny and hothothot?

    I hope he was worth his...um... fee. You left it on the nightstand, right? That's always a tasteful way to end this transaction.

    I do hope you enjoy your new saddle. They are truly wonderful things to take out of a box. The smell alone is something I wish I could bottle.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2009
    Posts
    4,481

    Default

    Ahhhh but they're so preeeeeetttyyy!! I love my Antares. People will have to pry that thing from my cold dead hands.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun. 3, 2010
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Congratulations on your new purchase! I love my Antares saddle so much!

    On the bright side, the new one will fit them both, right?



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,786

    Default

    Le sigh.

    Don't blame yourself. Hot French accent, gorgeous leather, horses you love. You were powerless.

    I was oiling my new Antares this weekend. I kept looking at it and sighing. It's so dreamy. One of our trainers wants to try it...she referred to it as the 'gel crotch' model. hee hee.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar. 6, 2009
    Posts
    8,377

    Default LOVE THIS STORY !

    LOVE THIS STORY ! TOTALLY UNDERSTAND ~

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantanaKC View Post
    Sigh...
    Back story:
    I bought my antares saddle 6 years ago for my tb/perch gelding, and I have loved it so much. When I started riding my 2 younger horses and retired the old guy, I used the saddle with some extra padding bc their backs were so scrawny. Last year, I put them in a real program for the first time in their lives, and they started gaining weight and muscle.

    Fast forward to present:
    A few weeks ago, I noticed my saddle "creaking", and then I noticed it wasnt sitting properly on Henry (or Hank the Tank, as he is now called) or Sam, so I called Antares to have some one come look at it.

    Call me naive, or just hopeful, but I really wanted some type of miracle to occur that would mean I didn't have to spend $$$$$. Secretly I knew. I just didn't want to admit it.

    Today the (charming French) Antares rep showed up, looked at my saddle (the squeaking sounded so much more pitiful by this time), when I showed him henry, he said "I know what the problem is....that horse is enormous!" (17.1 with huge shoulders and a butt that makes mine look tiny). He put me in about 6 saddles on each horse, and you guessed it... I ended up ordering a new saddle!

    To be fair, I probably never had a chance. Beautiful leather, cute French guy (who told me I actually could use a SMALLER seat, woohoo!), and my infamous weakness wherever Henry or Sam is concerned. I was doomed before he set foot on the farm...
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2008
    Location
    at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Yes, yesterday was a swooning day (saddles, man, bill, LOL). For now, I have a loaner saddle because it will be 4 MONTHS until my saddle is ready! I guess Antares takes the month of August off, yuck. So It won't be until October that I get to enjoy that fresh saddle smell!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    31,055

    Default

    But of course France is closed in August...as many American tourists have learned...Italy is not much better One must plan in advance as well and that consumes much of July.

    But good things are worth the wait and we want that sellier fresh for the job now, don't we?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,473

    Default

    Um, so did your original saddle have a broken tree? Because that's sure what it sounds like. I bid farewell to Antares forever after TWO broken trees in less than three years in my saddle that is honestly in pretty light use (and I weigh less than 130 pounds).

    I am sorry to rain on your parade, but I do feel compelled to point out that the rep probably realized that your saddle had a broken tree and then scrambled to sell you a new one right away so that you would not discover it. Antares is becoming notorious for broken trees and horrific "customer service."



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2001
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    3,770

    Default

    My Antares also has a twisted/broken tree, as did three other Antares in our barn. In talking to the rep at Thermal, he said there was a screw that may have come undone, but that the saddle was basically just a piece of trash now. He said Antares would charge so much to take it apart and see if it was possible to fix it that I might as well buy a new one.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2010
    Location
    Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantanaKC View Post
    Today the (charming French) Antares rep showed up, looked at my saddle (the squeaking sounded so much more pitiful by this time), when I showed him henry, he said "I know what the problem is....that horse is enormous!" (17.1 with huge shoulders and a butt that makes mine look tiny). He put me in about 6 saddles on each horse, and you guessed it... I ended up ordering a new saddle!
    Eh ben! C'est typiques des mecs Francais, ils disent n'importe quoi

    Those typical frenchmen they'll say anything !!!

    But in all seriousness before you write the check - do some homework on the tree issues - I've heard this being talked about in France !!!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov. 21, 2001
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Same thing happened to me in December. Heck, I asked alot of questions just so Mr. French Guy would keep talking. And, yes...I was so hypnotized by the accent that I bought a new saddle. It took 3.5 months to get it, but the wait was totally worth it!



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2012
    Location
    The "Wet" Coast, Canada
    Posts
    168

    Default

    I once called another french saddle company just to ask some questions about pricing of new saddles, and the possibilities with their used ones.

    Two days later I was trying out saddles.

    A week later the deposit was paid.

    Six weeks later I was so completely besotted with my purchase I could never imagine riding in something else.

    Don't get blinded, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2008
    Location
    at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Um, so did your original saddle have a broken tree? Because that's sure what it sounds like. I bid farewell to Antares forever after TWO broken trees in less than three years in my saddle that is honestly in pretty light use (and I weigh less than 130 pounds).

    I am sorry to rain on your parade, but I do feel compelled to point out that the rep probably realized that your saddle had a broken tree and then scrambled to sell you a new one right away so that you would not discover it. Antares is becoming notorious for broken trees and horrific "customer service."
    Yes, I am aware that the tree is likely broken. We discussed it in great detail and I was pretty sure already going into it. My horse's backs changed quite a bit, so much so that the saddle no longer fit properly, and I hadn't had anyone look at the saddle on the horses since they filled out. I broke my saddle. I could have gotten the saddle repaired, we talked about it, but they would have had to make a lot of changes to make it fit Henry (Sam would have been fine, but I'm planning on selling him this year). It made more sense to me to order a saddle to fit my strangely shaped horse (giant shoulders, and until recently was going in a 48' girth, now 52" or 54", lol), rather than always be trying to "make it work" with a saddle that's not right for him. We ended up changing a number of other parts of the saddle, as well as the tree.

    I joke about being "seduced", but if I had said "let's fix the tree", that's what would have happened. It just wasn't the best choice for my horse. So, I did what was right for my horse, and I got help from a lovely Frenchman and I'm getting a beautiful new saddle!

    I also feel the need to add that this is the first problem I have ever had with the saddle. It fit the horse I bought it for beautifully as well as MOST other horses (darn you Hank, lol), its balance was beautiful and put me in a great position, and because it was grain leather, it was in beautiful condition after 6 years of use, not even one bit of stitching was loose. When I bought the saddle, I was living in MD, and my entire barn there pretty much had Antares, none of them have ever had any problems with their saddles to my knowledge. In fact, had I still been there, this probably never would have happened under the intense scrutiny of Carolyn "hawk eyes" Krome, lol"



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt
    Posts
    18,267

    Default

    question--
    This is the first time I've ever heard of a saddle tree breaking because it didn't fit the horse perfectly. Is that something common?

    Don't most ill-fitting saddles just hurt the horse?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    31,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    question--
    This is the first time I've ever heard of a saddle tree breaking because it didn't fit the horse perfectly. Is that something common?

    Don't most ill-fitting saddles just hurt the horse?
    Kind of with Viney here...have used many saddles on many horses that were not a perfect fit (usually because they were not my horses), sometimes for a long period of time. Never had any tree issues and I don't think creative padding would stop tree breakage if that were the sole cause.

    Maybe there is a batch with a manufacturing defect or something because I have lots of friends with Antares and nobody has had any problems at all.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2008
    Location
    at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Kind of with Viney here...have used many saddles on many horses that were not a perfect fit (usually because they were not my horses), sometimes for a long period of time. Never had any tree issues and I don't think creative padding would stop tree breakage if that were the sole cause.

    Maybe there is a batch with a manufacturing defect or something because I have lots of friends with Antares and nobody has had any problems at all.
    It's possible, but I link it to the horses shapes because the problems started when the horses filled out. I rode in it hard for 4 years, took it easy for a year or so, then started riding a lot more in it. It's also possible someone dropped my saddle and didn't tell me, although I am not inclined to believe that.

    I am thrilled with my purchase based on my experiences as well as friends experiences with Antares. I love where the saddles put me (much more so than the butet I had before or the butet my mother has now), as well as the excellent customer service I have experienced. Heck, he helped me tack and untack both horses, set jumps that the wind knocked down, and offered to stay while I took a lesson on the loaner saddle he gave me, just to be sure I was happy with everything!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2010
    Location
    Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    772

    Default

    Well, I wish you the best with your new saddle. The bottom line is - if it fits you and positions you well as well as your horse thats ultimately why you decided on it.

    But you can get a ticket to France, go to a BNT's barn or down to the ENE in Saumur and hear all the sexy French accents you want with those fine riding men to boot!

    Vive la France



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    31,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantanaKC View Post
    ...It's also possible someone dropped my saddle and didn't tell me, although I am not inclined to believe that...
    I've seen alot of people do alot of things to and with saddles in community tack rooms or even on the rail/rack in front of the tack room/trailer at a show and, trust me, nobody shared what happened with the owner of that saddle. They get knocked over onto asphalt or concrete and hit at just the right (wrong) angle? Or get "borrowed" and have a horse go over backwords or otherwise end up laying on top of them or get loose and slam into a wall on it? That'll do it. And you'll never know.

    IMO it would have to be a hellaciously bad fit to the point of being unrideable to break the tree...or a manufacturing defect.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2007
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Will someone explain to me why a French accent is irresistible only to women in this country?! NOT FAIR!



Similar Threads

  1. What is it about beautiful leather...
    By AmmyByNature in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jun. 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
  2. TB Stallion French Accent
    By AppJumpr08 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Sep. 29, 2010, 08:17 AM
  3. French vs. English Sedgwick leather
    By Mali in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 22, 2009, 07:42 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Apr. 15, 2009, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •