The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "A Miraculous Ending to a Terrible Accident"

An amazing story! Incredible!! Look at those photos and imagine yourself in this situation with your horses.

http://www.horsejournals.com/miracul...5sYvF.facebook
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Holy crap. That's scary.

I'm curious how the trailer became disconnected though
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Oh, wow, what luck that they recovered! Very scary.
    A good reminder to wrap like crazy before loading up..

The trailer disconnected because it was hit from behind (man claiming it was all his fault).

We just had a similar accident last week. The horses all survived the initial collision and were taken to the vet but I don't know how they are doing. Unfortunately, the truck flipped and the driver was partially ejected and in critical condition.

I'm getting so I don't want to take my horse anywhere.

Susan

Whay did they not have safety chains fron the truck to the trailer? Their only function is to hold the trailer to the truck if it detaches from the hitch. They were not even mentioned. Did they not use them because it was too much trouble?
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Even safety chains can snap. Maybe they were older, had a spot of rust and sheared with force from the impact. I can see it happening, especially as they're main purpose is to provide a cradle for the hitch to fall on if it pops off the ball. Not an end all be all to keep the two connected.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

5- my guess is that the trailer was rear ended hard enough to break the hitch off the trailer and break the chains, too. I had a friend get "merged into" on the freeway and her chains broke, but the trailer was jammed into the back of the truck and didn't tip over. The car that hit her pushed the side of the trailer into her horse!! Trailer totaled, horse cut and bruised and scared to death.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Holy crap! It's amazing they all made it out in one piece- the horses, the people, the dog and the other driver.

And they were only ten minutes from home! Must be awful when they have to drive by that spot and remember it all over again.

I've gotten a little lax over the years about wrapping my horse on quick local trips. Never again, not after reading what they went through.

Yeesh. I had a friend when I was in 4H who was involved in something similar. His mom was hauling his gelding home and the trailer became unhooked somehow, went down the road a bit before vrooming off the side, tipping and sliding down an embankment. He had no protective gear on and sustained one heck of a nasty laceration to his chest that had to stapled and stitched and patched back together, but he survived. Trailer wasn't even a loss as no cutting was involved, they just dragged him out, but she never hauled anywhere again.

Can't blame her.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrabee View Post
    I'm getting so I don't want to take my horse anywhere.
    I used to head off on 8 hour hauls with just normal prep and caution. Thanks to too much information, the thought of trailering now gives me serious anxiety.

My trailer came loose one time, thank God the safety chains held.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Whay did they not have safety chains fron the truck to the trailer? Their only function is to hold the trailer to the truck if it detaches from the hitch. They were not even mentioned. Did they not use them because it was too much trouble?
    I have no issue with your question about the chains, but the "too much trouble" comment is just rude.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

wow, im glad all were okay. what a horrible experience.

J8888zus Ch*ist that is scary..! so glad everyone is ok!!

My question is about the emergency brake. I had a trailer disconnect on the highway once. The emergency brake on the trailer functioned beautifully. Engaging both the truck and trailer brakes to stop the rig.

We were on a straight away at the time and the trailer barely deviated from it's track behind the truck. The back up chains didn't even get 'used.' (I don't recommend testing the emergency braking system out this way it was not the most fun 'drive to horsehow' I've ever experienced...) Luckily, it was a very early weekend morning with virtually no other traffic on the highway.

But I wonder if being struck by another vehicle somehow interfered with the operation of the battery operated brake?

Isabeau, that's my question too. In addition to the chains, I have a little wire that, if it snaps, activates the trailer's brakes. Is it possible that the trailer being hit from behind could override the emergency brakes?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Trailer emergency brakes only work if the trailer battery isn't dead and that's a really easy thing to miss in 'preflight'.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
    Trailer emergency brakes only work if the trailer battery isn't dead and that's a really easy thing to miss in 'preflight'.
    I don't doubt that. But I read the article. Unless I missed it I saw no mention of it. NOR in their recommendations (though this is filtered through a reporter, so I can't know all of what might have been said.)

I just want to remind everyone to keep that battery in repair (make sure it gets checked when you get your trailer serviced yearly.....) The battery is a great deal (compared to the alternative) and it turned my little trailer snafu into a virtual non-event (not that I quite saw it that way at the time)

I am actually hoping that they their battery was not in good operating order. I want to think that if it were, it would have stopped the trailer.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Whay did they not have safety chains fron the truck to the trailer? Their only function is to hold the trailer to the truck if it detaches from the hitch.
    I spoke to a trailer guy... that's all he does is trailers of all types. He said he's seen some nasty wrecked trailers over the years and not necessarily just horse trailers, but in the majority of those accidents the safety chains snapped at highway speeds. He said they should hold at low speeds, but at highway speeds they are just a "feel good measure" as are the trailer breaks.

Now, I am not taking this guy at his word, but they did give me something to think about and more anxiety when hauling now.
    Dreaming in Color

And that little battery sits in a very vulnerable position on most trailers. We have a friend who's trailer disconnected from her truck and ended up ramming the truck and breaking off the battery and snapping the chains.