The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default They're all ok BUT. Story of the Great Escape

DH calls me today and relates the following:

He came home and found the pasture empty and all three horses missing. After frantic phone calls and searches of the farm he found out that they had escaped from the pasture and had sauntered over to the neighboring TB farm where the workers had just put them in a paddock.

They are thankfully ok, but this is a serious breach! I can't imagine how they opened the gate!!!! No breaks in the fence. I have to think somehow the PONY got the chain off. The others would be clueless. I won't be able to sleep. Jeezzz!!

PONY is a four letter word. Are you sure the gate was closed and latched? If so, I'd be putting an extra chain or two around the gate.

I'm working out of town but DH is putting extra chain on gate tonight.

Pony?
    Nuff said!

The aliens unzipped the suit and undid the chain, you know!

WORLD DOMINATION!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

LOL...I had one similar to that a few weeks ago! I have 6 horses and a goat. I woke up, looked outside and saw not a single horse from the upstairs window....just as I was was headed downstairs the phone was ringing and it was my not-so-friendly-neighbor: "Tracy, you're horses and a goat are here." We had gone to bed early, early the night before so we had no clue how long they'd been out!

There was a break in the electric braid and it was strewn all over in one section. We think a couple deer hit it (my horses won't touch it) and the brave pony and his side kick (the goat) were probably the first to test the gap....the others must have followed suit once they saw the little ones manage to get through. One horse had serious road burn that still isn't entirely healed and another one was so body sore I needed to call a chiropractor! I was so relieved they were otherwise okay and nobody was hurt.

And funny, I was so rattled when I put them up, I carelessly left the gate unlocked. About an hour after I put them away a guy came to the door and told me that they were out. I couldn't believe it. I ran outside and they were all standing in the garden. I grabbed a longe whip and got behind them and pointed to the barn and they all trotted single file right into the barn, goat trailing. The good samaritan watched in amazement. He had no idea they were utterly exhausted .

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Pony?
    Nuff said!

The aliens unzipped the suit and undid the chain, you know!

WORLD DOMINATION!
    ROFLMAO

In my case it's usually the donkey letting everyone out. Six letters, same effect.

Had to put a padlock on the gate Mule so good at opening gates!

PONY is a mare and the neighboring TB farm put their teaser out in the paddock next to our fence. Apparently the geldings in "her own" field were not so interesting. Hussy! Mystery solved.

I'd definately blame it on the PONY .

My youngest mare can pull the chain out and undo the "L" shaped latches that come on a lot of the metal gates. We put a second chain with a carabiner-type snap on all the gates, and that solved the problem for us.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    My youngest mare can pull the chain out and undo the "L" shaped latches that come on a lot of the metal gates. We put a second chain with a carabiner-type snap on all the gates, and that solved the problem for us.
    For now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

In the stalls, for my problem children, I have a carabiner AND a snap. When Blue was on stall rest a couple of years ago he had a carabiner, snap and a chain wrapped around his stall gate and the post. He was a stitch when he escaped. We saw him stick his head out of the barn door, look both ways and slowly saunter out.

My driveway gate has a chain firmly attached to the fence post so they can't pull the chain around...snap is on the outside. I've had escapes, but never out of the barn,pasture area.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default WOW ! Any owners nightmare ~ glad they are all ok ~

Glad they are 'home' and ok ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

yup!! our pony was a total escape artist and figured out how to undo the stall latch, once out she would let the others out too!! we would wake up and they'd all be out in the paddock waiting for breakfast :-)

Had my horses (three) got out once and walk up the road and through front yards (very quiet neighborhood, hardly any traffic).

When I got there from work, no notes, no calls, nothing.
    Neighbors mentioned: "Oh yeah, saw them this morning wandering by."

Going from house to house I finally ended up at Dennis' at the corner. He'd taken them in and stuck them in open stalls next to his mules. Fed and watered them.

My, were they happy to see me and get the hell out of that barn that housed those weird, loud long ears.

Walked all three at once down the road by myself; they were absolute pussycats.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    For now!
    Gosh, I hope she doesn't suddenly figure that one out. It's served us well for the past couple of years now, so I hope I have most of the kinks worked out in my equine containment system. At least as it pertains to the current occupants - who knows what the next critter will bring to the equation?
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

It is always the P-O-N-Y! I have one little super genius that can undo bolt snaps, bull snaps, caribeaners, those links with the metal part that twists over the opening, barn doors that latch from the inside (while he is outside), doorknobs, chest bars in the trailer, and the hook and loop gate latches. Has even jumped clear over the fence to get to the neighbours to play with the cows after a couple weeks off.... It really is just the fact that the little booger likes us and finds our riding games amusing that he stays here at all. I have moved all my gate latches to the outside, not reachable over the top of the gate or through the fence, and have it tensioned so that you have to lift the gates with one hand and undo the latch with the other to get it open, just so I can sleep at night.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Hah! I take your pony and raise you a herd of dairy cows. The pony was a genius about inventing places to get out, but the cows studied under Houdini. Chains and carabiners are no match for cows with oral fixations. They lick on stuff until they come open, or dissolve, I think.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Hah! I take your pony and raise you a herd of dairy cows. The pony was a genius about inventing places to get out, but the cows studied under Houdini. Chains and carabiners are no match for cows with oral fixations. They lick on stuff until they come open, or dissolve, I think.
    rofl yes. We had dexters (mini jerseys basically) and we had one we actually named moodini! She jumped a 5ft gate, in a 6ft doorway... no idea how. But she was on the other side of the gate and it wasn't even damaged. And she wasn't exactly tiny, say the size of a medium pony. And then there was dear little Henry who decided the lawn was better than the pasture on the lawn and would go right through the fence.

Of course our best two escape stories were from non ponies. The first was my arab qh cross, Julius. He was at our home barn, the boarding stable was across town. We had just taken his buddy out and up to the boarding barn to ride and stuff. Not sure what was done to the gate but he got out and trotted up the middle of the road, out into the main road and all the way to the barn, so several miles and not on a plain old back country road. The poor police man on duty followed behind him with flashing lights because he wouldn't let anyone catch him. He didn't care, just trotted along like nothing had happened, tail high and happy.

The other one was our old wb cross. He was lonely one night, walked right through the fence and first went down the road to another local barn. Turned around, walked past our house up the road and through the woods to the other boarding barn (ours). He showed up there about an hour or two later, walked into a pasture and refused to be caught. We locked him in (this is at 2 in the morning mind you) and left him. In the morning they caught him and put him in a stall till I could ride him home. He slept lying down until I arrived, then got up and was perfect for the ride him :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post

The other one was our old wb cross. He was lonely one night, walked right through the fence and first went down the road to another local barn. Turned around, walked past our house up the road and through the woods to the other boarding barn (ours). He showed up there about an hour or two later, walked into a pasture and refused to be caught. We locked him in (this is at 2 in the morning mind you) and left him. In the morning they caught him and put him in a stall till I could ride him home. He slept lying down until I arrived, then got up and was perfect for the ride him :P
    And that would be Trumpie, photo linked in my signature below. I still remember the report of "the sound of horse hooves on the road." The pink vet wrap is courtesy of this escapade as he picked up a few cuts on his legs, nothing serious.

Poor old guy was just lonely; his companion had been put down not too long before.

Trump was an awesome horse. I still miss him
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine