The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ADT Bridles

Has anyone heard of ADT having quality issues as of late? A local tack store told me that they will no longer even be carrying them because of issues. I'm wondering if there is maybe a personal beef or if it's really true?

Thanks!

I bought one recently which I absolutely LOVE, though it was a clearance item and probably at least a year or two old (though I bought it new). I will say it was next to impossible to fit... so maybe there are more fit issues? It's huge everywhere except the cheekpieces which are nearly on the last hole.

I bought one about 2 years ago and had one issue right off the bat and one that developed over time.

The initial issue was a keeper broke while I was oiling for the first time (never been on a horse at this point). I fought to have just the piece replaced since it could not be repaired to look new and that was a fight.

After that, the bridle was only really used for shows and the very occasional lesson.. so less than 20 times likely and the stitching on the reins near the end on both sides started coming out. Based on my reception for the first quality issue and I wasn't planning on showing for a bit, I decided to sell it.

That being said, the leather was super lovely and had the manufacturer stood behind their product, I likely wouldn't have the bad opinion I do today. I know quite a few other people who have not had any problems. I assumed that I had a "lemon" but the manufacturer did not care.

Sigh. That's exactly what they said - stitching coming apart and ADT not standing behind the quality.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have several AdT bridles and often use them in preference to my more expensive tack. Have never had a single issue and they have been lovely to deal with when I have needed any kind of customer service (swapping out pieces for different sizes, and so forth.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I've had my ADT Imperial for almost a year now and use it several days a week - no issues. But I did buy it piecemeal from Just Bridles, so it could be older then a year.

I did order a custom colored/sized girth from ADT last June (arrived in Oct) and I was disappointed to discover the little D rings on the sides are not rust proof. So now my $200 girth that I use several days a week has rusty D rings. Center D ring has no issue. I think I'm going to end up cutting off the rust ones as they are attached with nylon loops and I don't foresee using them. But sad none the less. Sign of short-cut in quality, tho no idea if they always came this way.

I just got one braaand new a week ago, so I'm hoping it lasts! The quality initialy is incredible, and the stitching seems nice! I was advised to not oil it much, because it would last longer it I let it break in on its own. I don't mind, since it's only going to be used to show, it's already soft/supple, and I got it black (little grey horse) so it doesn't need to darken. Maybe this is why it hasn't held up for others? I know a woman who has had hers for years now and never had a problem, and shes never oiled it, just wipes it off after a ride.
    Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, your right. - Henry Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Denial is delightful.

I bought two bridles directly from the manufacturer via eBay. Same size, same color, same model. The first one is gorgeous. The second one is complete and utter crap. Plasticky leather, straps not fitting in the buckles, sizing not even close to normal (or close to the other bridle). It looks like a $50 bridle.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Not oiling it much is fine, when my keeper broke, it was on a first time application of a thin layer of oil. Yes, the initial leather quality was soft and supple, but judicious application of product should not ruin the bridle. I only had issues with the stitching coming out on the reins, the rest of the bridle was beautiful. I had also purchased a standing martingale and curb reins that were fine.

It all came down to the customer service and when its all said and done, I am only one data point and your experience may differ. I hope it differs in a good way!

That being said, when my boy decides he doesn't want to snack on his reins for breakfast my next purchase will be an Antares bridle (I have been ogling it for a while). I have a saddle by them and only one minor issue which was corrected quickly at no cost to me with very pleasant customer service. It makes a huge difference!