The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking I went XC schooling for the first time yesterday!

OH MY GOODNESS! I had so much fun I want to go today!

I've been following the husband from the showjumper ring to eventer land. However, I never have really had the courage to do a whole lot in eventers. I did some eq in college and in FL (while the husband was in jumpers). And, that was mostly on the flat and over 10 years ago.

I have a trainer up here that pushes me just enough to feel like I accomplished something, without pushing me too far to lose my confidence.

Yesterday, we took the junior riders, one of the other adult ammys, me and the trainer up about an hour north of here. Everyone is preparing for the Whidbey Horse Trials in a couple of weeks (except me).

I did all the logs, one coop, the smaller ditch, and the upbank/downbank all by myself! Bella and I are both out of shape, but we did some open galloping/cantering. We've never really galloped out on the field before and I could tell Bella was a little uncomfortable trying to figure out her footing, so we did a lot of trot work.

The only thing I couldn't do myself was the water and a particularly scary set of tires (the tires were more me than her, those things were weird! ). One of our junior riders, who rides her Tb gelding in Prelim took her over the tires and into the water. Thank goodness for the velcro-butt junior riders!

I'm super proud of Bella. No mare tantrums, no dirtiness, and even loaded pretty well.

*whispers* I think I'm a convert to eventing... don't tell the hunters...
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

I am SO TELLING
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Cool! Glad you had a good time. Where did you go? I'm not going to Whidbey either although trainer and a few others will be there.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I still hate water, too. I always want to close my eyes.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I probably shouldn't admit this but cross country schooling is by far my favorite thing to do on horseback! I like it way better than the actual events because if I don't like a particular jump I don't have to jump it or if I really like a particular jump I can jump it as many times as I want. If you have a good water horse water is an absolute blast! I love cantering my old guy through it.

Just did my first schooling on xc yesterday. On trail rides we have jumped various logs or other obstacles but having a whole bunch of things to jump was just tooo fun!!!! Hope you keep at it!!!

Thanks guys! We went up to Blaine at Sunset Farms.
    http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/parks/sunsetfarms/index.jsp

It was a little wet, but everything is wet up here in the PNW right now. It made things a little sketchy a couple of times, but Bella did great.

I'm aiming for the Whidbey one day in September as our first event. Everyone at the farm is so excited that Bella and I are finally diving in.

I can't believe I waited this long to try eventing! What was I thinking!?

p.s. jenners- you're next my friend! Your little man is way to awesome to just use in the ring!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

welcome to the dark side
    I had the same response after I went xc jumping for the first time
    All those wasted years doing other stuff
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)