The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default Gemwood Horse Trials - Canceled

June 25, 2012

For Immediate Release:

Gemwood Horse Trials, July 21-22, 2012 has been canceled.

It is with regret that I have decided to cancel the Gemwood Horse Trials, Fairborn, OH for 2012. A number of concerns have brought me to this decision. The impending heat, humidity and drought conditions cause me concern for my staff and volunteers as well as my horse and human competitors. Many of you must share this concern due to the smaller number of entries to hit my mailbox so far. With entries slow to come in, I am unable to make the necessary financial commitments that must be made in order to host the horse trial.

I chose not to wait until closing date to announce this cancellation in the hopes that the competitors who did send in their entries for Gemwood, might have the opportunity to support one of the other upcoming events in Area8. If you sent in an entry to Gemwood, you will be given a full refund.

This cancellation does not effect the June 30th X/C schooling day scheduled at Twin Towers Park. Hope to see you there.

All the best,

Laura Beaver, Org.
    Gemwood Horse Trials
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I'm bummed about this. Gemwood was really hot last year, too, but plenty of entries and it was still fun.

I think Laura puts on one of the best events in Area 8. I think the Area 8 community could really get behind her and get as many entries/volunteers as they need if given the chance. We'd all love to have the chance to prove how much we'd like to support Gemwood!!!

Total bummer I was planning on going with my new ride and hopefully one of my others to run Novice.. I was waiting til a little closer to closing date to send entries in though, as I am bringing one back into work and wanted to see how it was going...

I went to Gemwood for the first time last year and LOVED it! Everything was so well organized, everyone was nice and accommodating (I was alone w two horses and my SJ times were tight and it was no problem to go early w one, later w the other), stabling was RIGHT THERE by parking and all the action. So sad it won't run this year...

This would be a good reason to get entries in earlier--small organizers like Laura just can't roll the dice & hope entries will come in later when so many expenses have to be paid up front. I'm sure the stress of worrying about making the expenses combined with worries about horrible weather were huge. I bet she feels bad about canceling, but I also bet she feels a big relief not having to worry about it.

It is a bit strange though since she had record large entries for Greater Dayton in May. Yes, the weather was great in May of course, but last year Gemwood had similar (VERY HOT) weather and the turnout was good/great. Oh well. So sad. We are in drought conditions here in central Ohio, so that must have really added to the decision to cancel. Boo! Would love to bring my daughter to your event camp instead, LAZ, but I can't swing that much time off work... Double Boo!

I feel bad for Laura and all connected with the event as I know how much work they put into running nice events. There has been more than one occasion that I have cancelled a judge because entries were low on closing date only to have to do creative scheduling because I have received 50 entries after closing date. As an organizer and competitor I can see both sides of this late entry scenario and I'm not quite sure what the answer is.

I hope you have a great turn out for your schooling day and everyone enjoys your new bank complex.

Jackie