The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quarantine for event horses returning to Australia?

I remember reading that event horses who left Australia were often sold here (or in Europe) because the quarantine to get back into Australia was so long and expensive.

Now, on a Black Caviar thread (the incredible Australian race horse who just ran in England, increasing her record to 22 -- 22-0-0) posters are saying that there is only a 21 day quarantine.

Anyone know why the apparent discrepancy?
    Last edited by Lord Helpus; Jun. 25, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
    I have talked Maggie into running for President. She will be running on the Curly Haired Dog ticket. Her campaign slogan is "Don't be douchy or I'll pee on your carpet".

21 days sounds standard for the quarantine in England. She will then spend another two weeks in quarantine in Australia before returning to her stable.

I work for two years for eventers in Australia and I never heard of a horse that was sold because they couldn't afford quarantine. Yes, it is expensive but it is a fact of this for the Australian based eventers and it is factored into their plan.
    Hanlon's Razor

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

I think it was more the cost. Back before eventers were worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, I bet the cost of shipping home was the equivalent of a large percentage of the value of the horse where it was almost cost effective to just buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    I remember reading that event horses who left Australia were often sold here (or in Europe) because the quarantine to get back into Australia was so long and expensive.

Now, on a Black Caviar thread (the incredible Australian race horse who just ran in England, increasing her record to 22 -- 22-0-0) posters are saying that there is only a 21 day quarantine.

Anyone know why the apparent discrepancy?
    Some 20 years ago, there were
    -Equine diseasses in the rest of the world that had not yet reached Australia.
    -No adeqaute vaccines or cures for those diseases.

In those days, it was much harder to get a horse (back) into Australia, with a longer quarantine, and many "innocous" (to Europe and US) diseases that would cause them to be rejected totally.

That is why "way back when" the Equestrian Olympic sport were held in Sweden when the rest of the Olympics were in Australia.

Nowadays, most of the dieases have got in anyway (though an outbreak of flu a few years ago caused great devastation because most horse were not vaccinated), and vaccines and cures.

Race horses, and TB stallions, go back and forth all the time.

For the privateer eventer, it is usually the cost of shipping, combied with the higher value of the horse in the European market, that leads to many Australian horses being sold in Europe instead of shipping them back home.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

"Privateer eventer"? Please explain. I'm intrigued by the concept.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Slightly OT, but I'd heard the same thing around the 2010 WEG about the South African eventers. That if they come here, they get sold rather than returning home. Is that (a) true, and (b) because of quarantine issues or just because it makes financial sense to sell in a stronger market?
    I evented just for the Halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    "Privateer eventer"? Please explain. I'm intrigued by the concept.
    Those who compete at the highest levels but do it on their own dime rather than have sponsors etc. Most likely amateurs. Just like privateer racing teams.

A privateer may not technically be an amateur, and they may have a little sponsorship (typicaly in "product", not cash). But they are self funding in terms of travel and competing.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I know some of the good event horses owned and ridden by young(er) riders from both Aus and NZ are sold to fund their next horse/s and/or living/competing in Europe. Some of them have sponsorship that only goes so far; they need to be competing in Europe to get the experience and exposure; sometimes they get offered ridiculous $$ and have to make a business decision.

Oh yeah, I just read Janet's post - they would be the riders I am talking about.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I bet a good Eventer would sell for alot more in the USA or Europe because there are more competitions at all levels and there are, therefore, alot more buyers then in Australia and certainly in South Africa.

It makes sense to sell them and move on to the next project....many BNRs and their owner clients here do that anyway without facing a shipping costs and quarantine requirements/cost. Get them to a certain point, compete them and market them.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.