The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question XL Crochet ear bonnet?

Yes, I have Googled but still am not finding one below 99$ for the custom one at Dover. My poor boys need draft-sized ones for our hacks in the woods. Any suggestions?

Alas, unless you make it yourself, they do not exist. Trust me, I've tried for years.

The ONLY ear net for drafties is from: Black Dog Farm

No, they're not crocheted but I like them better (that's my mare modeling hers) because they stay on better due to velcro and only the teeniest of wee gnats can get in. I just spray the ears with fly spray before putting it on.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Have you tried calling Shipshewana Harness? They can be pretty helpful with draft sized everything. Troyers is acrossed the road and they do have some draft supplies too.

Or make your own...

http://www.crochetdodads.com/forthehorse.htm

We use the Absorbine Ultra Shield Bonnets as they protect the jowls too from those darn deer flies. They are a bit hotter tho. I do know those come in draft size as I have seen them on drafts out on the trail.

We have Cleveland Bays, which are not Drafts, but have BIG EARS.

I got some ear covers and just made bigger cloth ears to replace the ones on the covers. The smaller cloth ears came off pretty easy. I made some "practice ears" to check for size on our horses, then made a pattern and created the bigger sized ears I needed. They went back on the crocheted part using the sewing machine pretty easily. I did use larger stitches for that.

It wasn't hard, didn't take a long time. I did get fabric that was plain cotton, which doesn't hold heat like synthetic fabics will. Quilting section of a fabric store probably has plain cotton material you would want. Pre-wash the fabric in HOT water, dry in the dryer, to get as much shrinkage done as possible, before using it. Cotton ALWAYS shrinks in heat, so I hang the ear covers to dry after washing them. This continued shrinking of cotton, is why your old cotton jeans keep getting tighter after being dried!!

Those ear covers have worked very well for a long time. We use them every outing in summer, with the bugs. Lets the horse pay attention to us! I need to make some more big ears, so we can change covers to the newer, non fringed style for competitions.

Thanks for the replies. My regular ones don't fit because the ears are farther appart! Bigger head. I will try the cashel on. Thanks!!!!
    Oh, and maybe my mother will crochet me one!

You could see if one of the etsy sellers who make these could do a custom size for you. You'd also get to pick the colors Here are a couple that do them:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/EquiEars?ref=top_trail

http://www.etsy.com/shop/horsesandho...on_id=11717233

http://www.etsy.com/shop/meddywv?section_id=10071186

http://www.etsy.com/shop/popelkaLida...on_id=10552426

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxchick View Post
    Yes, I have Googled but still am not finding one below 99$ for the custom one at Dover. My poor boys need draft-sized ones for our hacks in the woods. Any suggestions?
    I was going to say, "YES! THEY DO EXIST!" until I saw where you lived. I had been looking for one forever for my draft x, and ended up settling on a Cashel Quietride Fly mask, but I see someone else came up with another Cashel solution.

I did happen to find o/s ear bonnets (after the fact) at my local feed store for $13.00.
    It's called Tri-County feed, in Marshall, VA. Only had them in stock in blue and black (for o/s), but maybe they could send one to you?

Thumbs up Etsy!

Etsy was a fantastic idea. I found someone who makes fly bonnets that look like a fox mask! Since I fox hunt, coudn't resist. She has agreed to make me one and I just got back from measuring the Beast's ears - seven inches apart. Thanks again. COTH problem solvers are consistently amazing.
    Last edited by xeroxchick; Jun. 27, 2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: sloppy typing

Oh how nice! Do share the Etsy crafter please
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I picked up a VERY large one at our local Co-Op for $3.95.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c6...10743566_n.jpg

If you think it will fit, I'd be more than happy to re-home it!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Thanks but I did go ahead and order a custom one. I think yours might be too narrow between the ears. My guy has that big head. Thanks though!

Smile Update

Equiears on Etsy made me this. Thought it was fun for trail rides:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24894...RpD?vhost=pets

Love it!