The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy EPSM in my TB gelding- help?

I highly suspect that my 12 yo 16.2 reg. TB gelding has EPSM (he also has Cushings). I was told to contact Dr. Valentine about constructing a diet to keep him healthy and happy based on his work load (dressage and jumping). Does anyone know her email? I really appreciate it, oh and has anybody had good expiriences with using cool calories 100 with an epsm horse? it has the rice bran and flax.. thanks!!

Dr. Beth Valentine has a lot of information on the Rural Heritage web site at http://ruralheritage.com/vet_clinic/index.htm . Best wishes for your horse.

I have read the site, I just need her email so I can properly construct a diet that will suit my horse properly and give him the fat that he needs, as he is a hard keeper and looses weight very easily. I dont have the 20 dollars to join that website and talk to her that way, but was told on another forum to talk to her herself, thanks!!!
    p.s.: does anyone have any suggestions based on diets that you feed your epsm horse? I alfalfa pellets good to feed as a substitute or hay stretcher? i have the cool calories 100 and plan to feed him shredded beet pulp (no sugar/molasses) and veggie oil ,thanks!
    Last edited by eqlovr167; Jun. 26, 2012 at 09:09 AM.

I got this e-mail address off the Rural Heritage site I posted above.

Beth.Valentine@oregonstate.edu <Beth.Valentine@oregonstate.edu>

Smile

thank you so much!! I really appreciate it

Everyone else gave you the info you were looking for, I just wanted to share a hug and an "I've been there"!! My pony also has Cushing's and PSSM, and after about a year of good diet, management, and meds he is better than ever! He's gained a huge amount of muscle, is fitfitfit, and we're even showing. Both conditions are completely and totally manageable. Best of luck!! Big hugs!!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I dealt with it this winter with my 1450lb draftX mare. My vet had me adjust her grain to include just 2 cups of rice bran pellets and 2 cups of this hay pellet called Special Blend a day. She gets timothy hay in addition to that. He also had me put her on DMG which has been a fantastic addition. She doesn't get stiff during and after rides, and the day after gallop sets or really hard work she's been much more willing to come out and play. I really struggled getting her fit to event and the diet change & DMG have been a miracle.

thank you to everyone that replied! i really appreciate it.

I use alfalfa pellets as the mainstay of my horse's diet. The rest changes over time as he can be a fussy eater, but he's never refused untainted alfalfa pellets.

And I too had a different horse after the diet change kicked in.

I have my boy on alfalfa cubes, beet pulp, nutrena safe choice, veg oil and cool calories and luckily he eats it all without fuss