The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on friesian dressage prospect

I just purchased myself a lovely friesian...she has the absolute best temperament...can go out alone in the woods, on the roads, she drives, and she's bombproof under saddle. I'm wondering what you all think about her as a future dressage prospect?
    (excuse the lack of helmet in the photos..i just hopped on for a picture)

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...3/IMAG1264.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...3/IMAG1263.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS8fuWI_OpM

Default canter?

Hi, I liked what I saw in the footage, not that I'm an expert. I like the way he motors along, thinking forward. He goes a little hollow now but when he dropped his head you could see the potential there. With Friesians, the weak point is often the canter, which is why I asked about the canter.

To me? Looks like you got a NICE one! Good luck!
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog
    BTBbrowbands.com
    Unique browbands for dressage and hunter riders

What is with the training yoke? Horse looks fine, but that it contracts from contact rather than looking for it, which is often a byproduct of the training yoke's downward pressure.

Friesians tend to have lovely trots, and this one is no exception. It is more the canter that I think would be important to see/assess to know if this horse has dressage potential.

Yeah i'm also not a fan of the training yoke...but she's at a morgan farm being trained for saddle and her trainer (the girl on board) doesn't really take up contact with her at all and has very steady hands so i'm not overly concerned with it. I don't have any footage of her canter unfortunately

What was his canter like in your opinion?
    BTBbrowbands.com

Very big and powerful! I had looked at another friesian who had a really weird...flat...canter...no lift to it at all. Is that the problem that some friesians have? Her canter is SO forward and powerful...like nothing i've ever ridden before! Her neck is kind of short...that's my only real concern about her. Anyone had any experience with short necked friesians?

I was wondering what I was seeing around the neck too. Not much to tell in the video. Good rhythm. Definately need to see the canter, since Friesians tend to be trotters. But no transitions, just round and round.

No expert, but from the minimal ones I've worked with the challenge is getting them to work from behind and over their backs, and stretching into the contact. They tend to be already built so up in the neck, if it was a short one, that would make it even more of a challenge.

Ok I looked a the pics. I don't see such a short neck, but I do see a small behind and weak loin.

Default short necks

I think the length is not as important as the shape and the way it ties into the shoulder. Short necks, I'm told, can make a horse more rideable if they are well-formed and tie into the shoulder high. I thought your Friesian had a nicely formed neck and nice throatlatch. But short? I hadn't noticed it even being short. He looks to have a proportional and harmonious build. I like that he is lighter. Is he full Friesian?
    BTBbrowbands.com

Yes full friesian by Teade 392, out of a mare by Ouke 313

And she's a mare and if you saw her in person you wouldn't think that. It's funny but in the videos she looks so light! I almost didn't go see her because she looked too refined in the videos. When i got there i couldn't believe how broad she was...she takes an x-wide saddle and is a total chunker

Isn't Teade standing at Iron Spring? My goodness.
    BTBbrowbands.com

Yeah

You know what I like about this horse in the vid? She is forward and really attentive to her rider. She looks really tuned in and eager to receive the aids. She is motivated and upbeat.

Whatever her canter is, her personality is great for a prospect. She looks like she wants to learn, and looks like she'd give any fair request a go. That's SOOO important!
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

She's real cute in her driving video, too. Very concentrated there as well!
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydutch View Post
    Is that the problem that some friesians have?
    What you described for your horse's canter is the norm for Friesians. But some lines just cant canter worth a crap. I absolutely LOVE the friesian canter! Nothing like it in the world.

Anyone had any experience with short necked friesians?
    I have a short necked half friesian. It's not a big issue. We're training Second currently, and so far she's excelled at everything asked of her. I think I prefer the shorter neck, rather than too long. But she fools me into thinking she needs more rein and I end up dropping her too often. If her rider were better, the horse would be a lot more advanced than she is.

Quote Originally Posted by SisterToSoreFoot View Post
    You know what I like about this horse in the vid? She is forward and really attentive to her rider. She looks really tuned in and eager to receive the aids. She is motivated and upbeat.

Whatever her canter is, her personality is great for a prospect. She looks like she wants to learn, and looks like she'd give any fair request a go. That's SOOO important!
    This describes my friesian mare to a "T" and it's priceless! The canter can definitely be developed but the temperment is something you have or don't. When we started her in training she couldn't hold a canter for more and 3/4 of a circle and could never get her left lead. Now she's getting 7's & 8's on her canterwork at 1st & 2nd level (at rated shows). It just takes awhile and the willingness for them to develop the strength to carry themselves in a decent canter.

Congrats!!! Beautiful mare!

I think she is lovely! Looks to have a great, willing attitude and that is priceless IMO. If you make it fun for her, she should be a great partner. She has a pretty, light trot, and with more work and conditioning she will really come together for you. Best of luck with her!

What a pretty girl! I may be biased, b/c I have a (IMHO) lovely Friesian dressage mare myself

I agree with witherbee et al: a pretty light trot, good attitude, not short strided, which have seen in some Friesians.

Getting her to stretch/reach into her bridle is something that will come with time and training. I think these heavier horses need some more time to build up strength.

We did have some canter issues, similar to those mentioned above, mostly her bracing. She needed a lot of help to convince her to stand up/not lean & to use her butt so we could get off the dang circle. When she was convinced, it took a while for her to get the muscle to stay at it.

However, she is doing great & judges like her. She, too is willing to please, just needs consistency from her rider. As someone upthread said, if she had a better rider (ie not me) she would be leaps ahead of where she is now, but she is still doing great.

Congrats! You two will have a great time. Everyone at your barn will probably want to steal her away. Be careful!