The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Featherlite trailers yes or no?

I'm looking at buying a Featherlite trailer, a 1998 model, so older, but hopefully sound. I am shopping on a budget so it is going to have to be older, just can't run to a new one.

Is the Featherlite a good option, or what would anyone reccomend
    I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

I knew someone who bought a Featherlight, was older when she got it, no problems. This trailer had always been under shelter and well taken care of though. The guy was selling it b/c he wanted a larger trailer.

This guy is upgrading to a bigger rig as well

We have two - a 2 horse bumper pull with dressing room, and a 4 horse slant gooseneck that we installed a weekend package on for camping. LOVE our Featherlites. Neither of ours were new either. The 2 horse is a 1994 model, and I believe the 4 horse is a 1999-2000 or somewhere in there.

Never had a problem with construction, etc. We always get our wheel bearings checked and re-packed if needed every year, take out the mats and scrub the inside down once a year as well. Other than just normal washing etc., very low maintenance.

I have a friend who has a 1991 Featherlite that is build like a tank. I did recently look at a 2011 Featherlite stock trailer as a run around trailer and was definitely not impressed. It seemed very flimsy and had a lot of sharp edges on the inside.

I was told that Featherlites built before 2005, when Featherlite was purchased by Universal Trailer, are a much better built trailer than the ones built now.

I have a 2003 Featherlite 3H Gooseneck (slant). We have recently outgrown it, but I think it has held up extremely well. I get compliments on it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    I was told that Featherlites built before 2005, when Featherlite was purchased by Universal Trailer, are a much better built trailer than the ones built now.
    Good to know

Ditto.

Their older models are terrific.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I vote with may dollars...and I'm on Featherlight Number Three!

As a brand, it's a good, "middle of the road quality" trailer. Take a flashlight and crawl around it, putting the light "where the Sun doesn't shine." IME you'll find good quality workmanship in welding, fit and finish, etc. There are some other brands where, if you do this, you'll come away with a different opinion.

Take the time to carefully examine the trailer in front of you. Then make the call.

Good luck!

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I have a 1997 2H purchased new and love it. It has been meticulously maintained and have thought about selling it several times, but can't afford a new trailer right now. The thought of buying used is dumb since I know this trailer so well. I have one complaint, the trailer is noisy.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Watch out for sharp edges.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I have one complaint, the trailer is noisy.

My horses and I are used to noisy, I currently haul the poor things in our very ancient stock trailer, which is VERY noisy

I think that Featherlite trailers have exceptional quality and retain their value as used vehicles. I would much rather have a used FL than many of the new "cheesy" trailers on the market. We got a bargain on a "new/never saw a horse", 4/H head to head years ago in a divorce settlement. Enjoyed it for years and sold it for more than we paid when we went to a custom slightly shorter rig. Nice trailers!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I bought my 2horse FL GN a couple years ago new, and I love it. Great to tow and my horses like it.

I have a friend who has a 1991 Featherlite that is build like a tank. I did recently look at a 2011 Featherlite stock trailer as a run around trailer and was definitely not impressed. It seemed very flimsy and had a lot of sharp edges on the inside.

Universal went on a buying spree and owns the Featherlite, Exiss, Sooner and Haulmark brand names.

http://www.universaltrailer.com/our-trailer-brands/

I have a 2000 4-horse stock combo FL and love it. I bought it off the line when it was a new model and have never regretted it.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Older Featherlite trailers are built much better then the new ones. They are cutting too many corners on the new ones.
    Just my opinion.

I have a 2002 Featherlite trailer. It is a straight load bumper pull with a dressing room. I absolutely love the trailer. It is so easy to haul and has held up very well.

I have an08 two horse bumper pull , with a tack room. I have drug it across the country a few times with no problems. It pulls well , and horses travel well in it. I have shipped for many races unloaded the day before and won . So it's safe to say they suffered no ill in the trailer,

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Older Featherlite trailers are built much better then the new ones. They are cutting too many corners on the new ones.
    Just my opinion.
    I would have to agree. I have a 1996 model that's a pretty good trailer. We were looking at the new version of the same trailer at Congress, and it's like a totally different (much more cheaply made) brand.
    ---------------------------