The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default boot recommendations for wide calf

I've finally come to the conclusion that I need new boots. I tried them on for the first time in a couple months and they don't fit anymore. I've been riding in paddocks and half chaps because they're much cooler than full boots in this heat and humidity!

Some history: I had a pair of Ariat Maestros (no zip) which I loved but my calf would not fit in them even after being professionally stretched once. Gave them to my sister (who isn't really riding anymore now). I bought a pair of Mountain Horse Classic High Riders a couple years ago. They were a bit loose in the ankle area but fit my calf. Now that I've been going to the gym 2 days a week and riding 4-5 days a week, my calves have slimmed down enough to make my MH boots seriously loose around my calves.

What I'm looking for: I prefer a front inside zip, slimmer ankle area, and wide enough for my calf. My calf measures 15.5" (39.4cm), leg height is 17.25" (43.8cm), ankle measures 8.875" (22.5cm) around, size 8 foot. I liked the back stiffener in my Ariats, and the relative stiffness of my MH boots but could probably go a bit stiffer. Something that would support my ankles would be great (too many sprained ankles over the years that I can now be walking on flat ground and have my ankle give out ). Budget is probably around $500 or so.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

I have the same size foot and height as you, but wider calves. I ALWAYS use zip now, and will never buy anything but front zip. Mountain Horse works well and have good foot support.

Amazingly what I found fits are Ovation. They fit my leg really well, have front, zip, are good looking and super cheap. Last time I look for about $150. They aren't that stiff, but, man, so cheap you can buy three. You could buy Birkenstock insoles for support in them.

I have ovations too, and find that I had to get a size bigger than I normally wear, but they fit great.

The Ovation sizing chart is one of the most accurate I've seen. If you measure yourself correctly, the boots will actually fit. This has been a big problem for me.

I didnt meausure because I actually got to try them on. They were on a discount rack at a show and though I usually wear a 7 wide, I ended up with an 8.5 xtra wide and they fit great. Love those boots! rt

I will also chime in and say Ovation. I have a wider calf and smaller ankle and they fit nicely. I usually find a tall boot and it fits my calf but the ankle is really baggy. This happened to me with Ariat and MH. The Ovations fit my leg better. It sounds like you have a similar build too. Their sizing chart is accurate and their boots will definitely be under the $500.00 mark.

Well I searched (and searched and searched) for the Ovations with the front zip and could not find a pair in my size. I think Ovation discontinued them. Boo. Any other ideas?

Go to www.marylandsaddlery.com They have several boots they sell that come in wider widths and/or can be stretched to fit larger calves, they did it for me. And they really know what they're doing!

Mountain Horse are fantastic and look lovely.

I have had two Ovations- wide calf, they wore out quickly- each pair lasted about 6 months (not riding every day) i bought Mountain Horse Firenze boots two years ago- the most comfortable, forgiving, easy to wear dressage boots that I have ever had. I am very neglectful of the boots, they are dirty, salty, etc but keep going strong, the zippers are greaat. They have both gussets and elastic - full length along the zippers- i highly reccommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNeon01 View Post
    Well I searched (and searched and searched) for the Ovations with the front zip and could not find a pair in my size. I think Ovation discontinued them. Boo. Any other ideas?
    Unfortunately, I think you're right. I was finding them super cheap for awhile, and now none. WHY would they discontinue the front zip??? SO great. They havea ton of back zip you can get. i need to write to Ovation. I would gladly pay more for the front zip boot they have with more foot support.

Petrie has lots of sizes. They are a little more than $500 but definitely are worth it. They are well made and last a long time. If you are concerned about the sizing, I've found Monique at www.equinesource.com to be very helpful. She knows her products. I know that Dover carries these boots also.

Link to Ovation front zip dressage boots
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER90152
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    Link to Ovation front zip dressage boots
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER90152
    Thanks DottieHQ, that was one of the many I found in my search but they don't have my size.

ClassicalDQ, I'm considering Petries but if I go that route, I'll most likely order from Europe since they're cheaper even with shipping. Having a zipper is a big thing for me since my ankles are so horrible. I assume you have a pair, so how stiff are they, how much do they actually drop, etc?

Also, does anyone know about the Cavallo Grand Prix Plus? That's one of the other ones I'm looking since they have a size that will fit and they're in my budget if I order from Europe, just like the Petrie Olympic boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Classical DQ View Post
    Petrie has lots of sizes. They are a little more than $500 but definitely are worth it. They are well made and last a long time. If you are concerned about the sizing, I've found Monique at www.equinesource.com to be very helpful. She knows her products. I know that Dover carries these boots also.
    I agree with this - MUCH better than the Ovations and at only 15.5" calf size this would not be a special order for Petrie's.
    Sandy in Fla.