The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How and where to find a trail "riding buddy"

Hi, I need a new avenue for finding a trail riding buddy. I would explore my trail riding group, but 98% of those folks are gaited and I have a half arab. Also, I don't want to find a psycho. Last time I asked my blacksmith, but I have a different one and don't know him too well. So, what has worked for other people. Basically I am looking for someone to meet up with at a "state park" type riding place.

thanks in advance,

KH and R.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Have you tried the 40 Something cowgirls? There are several chapters throughout the US..

try CL's
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Do you have any local horse related message boards? I think that's where I met most of my horsey buddies, at least indirectly. The best was the one sponsored by our local rescue, since I figured I'd find more like minded people there. Just be careful - I haven't had an awful experience, but I did have one ride, on my greenie three-year-old at the time, that could have gone really badly. One guy was bucked off, three horses laid down (not mine!), and they rode off and left me at the end. Live and learn!

Are there any riding clubs in your area? My SO and I belong to a county saddle club that has monthly "organized" day-rides as well as doing longer camping trips together.

Apparently ACTHA has a site for finding a trail buddy, though I have never used it and the organization doesn't interest me at all. Since they seem to cater more towards the non-gaited horses, though, you might have a good chance of finding other riders in your area.

Happy trails!
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Please don't be put off with riding along side gaited horses. I've ridden non-gaited horses with gaited horses, and I now ride my gaited horse with non-gaited horses.

Just because they CAN gait, doesn't mean that they HAVE to gait. As long as you find someone who likes to go the same speed as you do, and make sure you talk about it at length in advance. But really, you should let others whom you are planning on riding with your preferences in advance anyway - gaited or not.

I know there are some ya-hoo's out there on gaited horses that whip them up into a fast gait and ride that way the whole ride, but there are many like myself who like to travel at a more sedate pace.

Do I like to do some gaiting? SURE! But, if I'm riding with a non-gaited horse and it's been discussed before the ride that they do not want to trot, canter, etc., than I also have enough manners to NOT go faster than a walk.

Sorry for the novel, I hope you find some like-minded riders to go exploring with.

Happy Trails!

If you are on Facebook try posting there. I've joined several local horse groups on FB and they are always going trail riding!T

Not to sound too ignorant(new to FB World), but how do you find horse groups on FB??

Tx.

KH and R.
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

michigan horse
    horse trails michigan
    michigan trail riders

stuff like that.