The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default World Record Perfomance by a Cross-Bred Trotter..

This video is worth the watch. Goo Goo Gaa Gaa, a 3yo trotting colt, set an all-age world record on a 5/8s-mile track last night, trotting in 1:50.4. What makes it all that more impressive is, QuadG is sired by Cam's Rocket, an entirely pacing-bred horse.

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=98539

I can't even imagine the odds of this happening. This horse is the real deal; I hope he continues to dominate in his division, but he won't get a crack at the Hambletonian as he wasn't made/kept eligible, sadly.

I saw that this morning but never paid attention to how he was bred. Sometimes, breeding a mare to a horse of the other gait can prove very useful, it was done here quite often, many a good broodmare had nice solid, albeit oldfashioned for the taste of the day, trotting bloodlines and bred to old Adios Pick or Tango Lobell, there were lots of good pacing colts and a decent percentage of competitive trotters. I've known of the odd pacing bred horse that was put on the trot, and did quite well, and I even considered doing just that with Mr Fussy because he could trot fast enough to qualify. Have also seen it go the other way - had an old horse that was wonderfully trotting bred and he couldn't trot a step. Go figure.

This type of breeding is sometimes done to dilute blood as well - the mare is pretty heavy on Speedy Crown blood so, I can see a complete outcross being tried
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    I saw that this morning but never paid attention to how he was bred. Sometimes, breeding a mare to a horse of the other gait can prove very useful, it was done here quite often, many a good broodmare had nice solid, albeit oldfashioned for the taste of the day, trotting bloodlines and bred to old Adios Pick or Tango Lobell, there were lots of good pacing colts and a decent percentage of competitive trotters. I've known of the odd pacing bred horse that was put on the trot, and did quite well, and I even considered doing just that with Mr Fussy because he could trot fast enough to qualify. Have also seen it go the other way - had an old horse that was wonderfully trotting bred and he couldn't trot a step. Go figure.

This type of breeding is sometimes done to dilute blood as well - the mare is pretty heavy on Speedy Crown blood so, I can see a complete outcross being tried
    well the story as I understand it with this pairing was, the mare didn't get in foal to a trotting sire (not sure which) so he just said "what the hell" and threw her in the field with his pacing sire (Cam's Rocket). Similarly, when it came time to name the colt he figured he'd never make it to the races anyhow and just arbitrarily named him.

The mare has since died, I understand. Too bad.

What a horse! I guess that was a breeding made in heaven.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Corey Callahan his driver is also the driver (and his Dad trained my now riding OTSTB trotter) and he is just incredible.

I love this horses breeding, it has been a while since a cross bred has done so well. Good luck Corey and Googoogaagaa. He is not staked to the Hambo or the Crown but he is going to Yonkers for the Yonkers Trot. He wins there he will definitely be supplemented into the Hambo.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrivetrotters View Post
    Corey Callahan his driver is also the driver (and his Dad trained my now riding OTSTB trotter) and he is just incredible.

I love this horses breeding, it has been a while since a cross bred has done so well. Good luck Corey and Googoogaagaa. He is not staked to the Hambo or the Crown but he is going to Yonkers for the Yonkers Trot. He wins there he will definitely be supplemented into the Hambo.
    Unless they (very recently) changed the rules, he can't be supplemented into the Hambo. I believe he may be able to be supplemented into the Breeders' Crown though.

Wow you can't supplement, that's my bad. He definitely can be supplemented into the crown we had a pacer back in the 90's we had to supplement in. Never had a Hambo horse although that's been my dream.

I am proud of Hans, it goes a long way that a owner/breeder/trainer combined with a great driver can do great things. That's why I love Standardbred racing so much, us little guys can have a legitimate shot at a good horse.

His "mud blood" breeding could make a lot of people rethink the crossings.

Nice little article put together for him on the USTA website today:
    http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolu...48820&zoneid=1

Quote Originally Posted by Idrivetrotters View Post
    Wow you can't supplement, that's my bad. He definitely can be supplemented into the crown we had a pacer back in the 90's we had to supplement in. Never had a Hambo horse although that's been my dream.

I am proud of Hans, it goes a long way that a owner/breeder/trainer combined with a great driver can do great things. That's why I love Standardbred racing so much, us little guys can have a legitimate shot at a good horse.

His "mud blood" breeding could make a lot of people rethink the crossings.
    I really love the small operations in both Stdbred&TB racing where that every day workman type in a large operation is "the big horse" in a small stable. Every year horses with lesser bloodlines pop up on the national radar giving the average Joe hope that nurture and not nature produces success on the racetrack.

Many, many years ago I used to think about elegant, aristocratic names for horses: names like Magnificent Mile, Aristocrat, Living Legacy, etc. Decades after watching horses with similar type names fail to live up to expectation, I am more superstitious. The same goes for changing a horses name. Horsemen had told us it was bad luck to change a horses name. Thinking they were nuts, we went ahead with the most talented and expensive colt in the barn. Just prior to his debut, he contracted a minor respiratory infection. He and the other sick ones were treated by the vet, the others were fine but the name changed colt foundered severely.

In some way, I actually like the way "Mud Blood" sounds as a name. There's a lot of inherent imagery there for a race caller and fans..

I'm a small timer myself and I've seen more success stories in the Standardbreds than TBs for small operations. I started out in TBs but turned to the dark side and never looked back. I still love the TB and I have a small rescue/rehoming barn for OTTBs and OTSTBs. I follow both breeds for racing and it's been a great ride.

I've had some cool names for horses:

57 Chevy
    Belair
    and Jaguar (nothing like driving a Jag !)
    Nasty Nasty
    Turbojetic (no he wasn't)

Our best name for one of our home breds was "Perfect Person" .....he was tiny...14.1 and short coupled and held the track record one year at Garden State for geldings.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

We had one broodmare who produced great temperaments on all her foals. Except that her last two fillies who were extremely sweet and cooperative turned into monsters when being vaccinated by the farm staff. The first one they nick named "Killer" which didn't thrill us but we let it go. The next one they started calling Killer also so out was getting to be too much. Her dam's name was Herbie, so her new name became Herbicide.

It was kind of funny because she was so sweet & kind even my 10 yr old kid could get her ready to go to the track. When we retired her, we placed her with a hunter trainer who does a really good job in matching horses with prospective new owners. Herbicide immediately fell in live with her new 9 yr girl and all the other kids in the barn.