The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Who else has a bird/birds?

Just wondering who else has a bird on here?

I have a lovely 9 yr old lutino Cockatiel named...Sunny. I think nearly every lutino cockatiel is named Sunny, but whatever.

He's a cute little guy/girl? (I never did figure it out) and is quite opinionated. Not the most active birdy, but adorable when he wants to be.

So who else has a bird?

I have had an African Grey parrot, Yaco, for the last 30 yrs. I got him when he was three and I guess I'm going to have to will him to someone because he's going to outlive me!

He gabby, never shuts up, pesty because he gets into so much stuff and I love him dearly.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Thumbs up

I do! When we lost our sweet cockatiel hen, Peanut, we got a small male parakeet...interesting thing is that he sings like a songbird all the time, doesn't talk at all and rarely does any "parakeet screeches"...and he is a total cutie to watch...very happy personality. Funny thing...our nickname for him is The Chicken and now he thinks that IS his name!

Have had parrots for many, many years and love birds (wild and domestic) in general. They are so interesting and fun to be around!

I do, I used to breed finches and my parents bred cockatiels and have several parrots.

Currently I have a hand fed collared dove that fell out of his nest in the wild. They are an introduced bird - non native, so I kept him. I also have a trio of diamond doves to keep him company. They are very gentle and quietly coo which is relaxing to hear.

the collared dove is in his akward "teenage" stage and his "voice" is changing. He no longer has the little beggin noise for food but he is not quite learning how to "talk" dove speak yet. Sounds pretty funny...
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Default I do x 2!

I have a Blue Front Amazon. Have had Webster since he was a chick in 1986....he says "I'm a green chicken", sings Old McDonald had a farm and a lot of other things! He loves only me.
    Newest addition is a Pionus Parrot. Grady is a female white capped Pionus and she is such a dear! Bought her for my daughter on a whim when she was still hand feeding. She fed her twice a day and kept her in her dorm room at college for almost a year. Had never heard of a Pionus and was actually going to get her a hand fed cockatiel but in my Internet searches to find hand fed tiels I came across info on Pionus Parrots. It said they are great apartment parrots because they are the quietest of the parrot family. They are small amazons about the size of a large cockatiel, but built like an amazon. It also said they are good family birds because they will be
    friendly and bonded to more than one person. That is very true. In fact my other daughter was with me when I bought her and we had a 3 hour trip home. This sweet little bird
    apparently bonded with her because she gets so excited when that daughter comes home from college! She calls and cries until she comes in the room and picks her up. She has just
    never forgotten her from that long ride home. Me...she likes me but not like she adores my daughters. There are definately some flock dynamics with our "relationships" with her. Just not sure who she sees as her mate and who she sees as her
    mother. I think I am just an alpha member of her flock because she has a different type of respect for me. Sounds crazy but all true. Anyone considering a bird, I HIGHLY recommend a Pionus Parrot! This angel is such a darling! Spoiled rotten, never in her cage if someone is home....

I have two. A Quaker Parrot and and Cockatiel. When my son was younger he was bird crazy so the Parrot was a rescue and we purchased the Cockatiel. Now that my son is older he considers them a nuisance as he likes to sleep.

Wanting them to have plenty of attention with our busy highschool children's schedules, I have loaned them out to a girlfriend whose 7 year old son is now bird crazy. Kind of like a free lease with a horse. If she gets tired of them we get them back.

I have a red front macaw named Bijou, and a blue and gold foster named Ariel.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I've got a white dove named Daphne.

She's very sweet, any noises she makes are fairly pretty...coos and giggles. And yep, she likes being held and scritched.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    I've got a white dove named Daphne.

She's very sweet, any noises she makes are fairly pretty...coos and giggles. And yep, she likes being held and scritched.
    I forgot to add that I also have a scarlet chested parakeet named Elliot, but he lives with my mom and dad.

In 40 years of owning birds of all kinds....from super-exotic finches, to a variety of softbills, to cockatiels, lovebirds and cockatoos, these are my first doves and I am in love!

They are lovely and quiet pets and even the store bought doves are almost tame.

.....and when I say I had super exotics, I wasn't kidding.....many of the birds I had are not common in aviculture anymore. I probably had over 45 varieties of finches and softbills and even had a "mule" hybrid grasskeet that experts say never should have happened.

This was a half-masked Vitelline Weaver who I owned for 17 years. He won a lot of best in shows for me.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

Shafttail finches with a fledgeling

An array of showbirds at the end of the season, the left cage is the mule, he was a cross between a red rumped parrakeet and an Eastern Rosella. The far right is a pintailed whydah. The middle ones are the half masked weaver, a green singing finch, a zebra finch and a blue faced parrot finch.

Blue faced parrot finch

black faced lady gouldian

Paradise whydah

black cheeked waxbill

my winningist bird - a green singing finch

here is my little squab, the collared dove, as a fledgeling. He was in the playpen with some baby silkie chicks so he could run around in the grass with them.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Have 24 parrots.

We have been breeders of parrots for almost 30 years. we are slowly cutting down on them, Mom is 70 this year and with me being disabled now it seemed the best.

Off the top of my head...

3 Blue and Gold Macaws
    2 Greenwing Macaws
    2 Umbrella cockatoos
    2 Elenora cockatoos
    4 Citron crest cockatoos
    3 Goffins cockatoos
    1 Lesser Sulfer crest cockatoo
    4 yellow nape amazons
    1 Red lored amazon
    1 Double yellow head amazon
    1 Senegal parrot

Down from 200 pairs.

I've always had birds back since when I was a little sprout.

Started with pet Budgies (SO much fun to train & SO sweet!); then graduated to Cockatiels; which led to finches, which got me interested in Australian finches which I bread for awhile. Then became interested in Australian Parakeets & Lorikeets; kept some Rainbow Lorikeets for awhile, & bred some Red-Rump Parakeets.

Since moving to Virginia, owned a Quaker Parakeet for awhile that we rescued from a very sleazy pet shop that was going out of business. Unfortunately, she had a serious disease (thanks to the crummy pet-shop environment), & we only had her for a few years. (She's now buried in our front yard with a lovely weeping crabapple tree planted over her.)

Current bird since around 2000 is a lovely hand-raised Citron-Crested Cockatoo named "Baby Bird" (aka "B-Bird"). She was under a year old when I bought her as a gift for my husband, who was very upset when our Quaker died. She's extremely sweet & lovable, highly intelligent, talks, & can actually connect words with specific things - as in shouting out "Kitty, kitty, kitty" when a cat walks by, or calling out "Fat Boy", when that specific cat passes. She's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1;
    She's a lot of fun.
    I'm guessing Fat Boy has a different opinion on this. Just saying

Actually, we used to have a black-&-white cat who, in his later years, did pick up a lot of weight, & we used to call him "Fat Boy", which is when "B-Bird" picked it up & applied it to him. But "Benny" (aka "Fat Boy") passed away a number of years ago (at the ripe old age of 16).

Then a few years ago we adopted "Gizmo", another black-&-white cat, from the local PetSmart. He was 10 years old, & while not as chubby as "Fat Boy", still on the chunky/stocky side. "B-Bird" immediately started calling him "Fat Boy" (what a memory this bird has), & we assume that it's due to the identical coloring to the original cat, as he's the only black-&-white cat we own - the others are 2 that are both white with brown tabby markings, & one Seal-point Siamese, & they never get called "Fat Boy" by the bird.

We have a lovely Hahn's Macaw. It belongs to my 17 yo son, we have had him for just over 4 years now and love him dearly.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Macaws, 2 B&G 1 Greenwing. They own me not the other way around.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

I've had quite a few over the years - 'tiels, 'keets, finches, a lovebird or 2, and a Senegal parrot

Now I have one opinionated lovebird name Squeaky - he loves to torment my dogs - and 4 parakeets whose job it is to sing and play all day long.

I was birdless for a few years when my cockatiel passed at 19 years of age, but I found myself missing having birds around. One of my coworkers had a couple of keets in need of an upgrade (in a huuuuuuuuuge cage), so I took them and added a few more to the flock. Then I added Squeaky bird.

Wow that's awesome everybody, didn't realize so many people on here had birds! Everyone who shared pics of their birds are beautiful btw.

I love my Tiel but after he's gone I don't think I'm going to get another. The time commitment, the daily cage cleaning, pooping on whatever surface they feel like, it gets old.

But my little guy Sunny is so cute, he loves his mist baths!

I've had lots of different birds since I was a kid. Most of them are still around but live with my mom. My main buddy when I was a kid was my Nanday Conure, Charlie. She absolutely adores me and goes crazy when I visit my mom. But my husband can't stand her because she's so loud. Nandays have some of the worst calls, even for a conure.

We currently have a female Senegal parrot and a male Solomon Island Eclectus. The Senegal, Gus, belongs to my husband. She is very hormonal and territorial and hates my guts. My Eclectus, Newt, is the most good natured parrot I have ever seen. Most Eclectus don't like to be rubbed like most other parrots. He'll let me touch him a lot but you can tell he's just tolerating it. He loves to be around people and loves to destroy anything he's given. He loves taking showers with me.

Newt can say:

Got your beak
    Tickle tickle tickle
    peek a boo
    stepup
    Newtabaga (like rudabaga)
    Newt
    Turkey
    Chicken bawk bawk bagaw
    rabble rabble rabble
    what
    you're so cute
    hello
    whatcha' doin'
    come here

He also whistles several different things.

I have my gender confused Roxanne (who is a guy, but I hand fed her/him/it as a baby and it was assumed he was a she). Roxie woof whistles, immitates me coughing and crying (creepy), says hello pretty girl, good morning, whistles happy birthday off key so it sounds like a funeral march, and immitates the sound of me rolling my tounge (like when I say spanish "R"s).

I would REALLY love to get a conure next but I'm not sure. I have a great new cage I put together for Roxie last Christmas that will fit a larger bird than a tiel. She's getting old, can't believe I've had her so long. I got her while working at my first job, a pet store, and she has been with me now for 10 years.