The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Alternatives to bones?

I found bison bones at the farmers' market for $1 each and thought I hit the jackpot. Dogs love them. However, the sensitive-stomach dog has gotten diarrhea two times after chewing the bones. And one of the other dogs had it last time as well. We'll see if anyone else gets sick tomorrow. (They were gnawing on them for about 20 minutes today and then sometime after there was an accident on the freshly shampooed carpet.)

I read that bully sticks are a good alternative to bones. Are they going to be beneficial as far as cleaning teeth? And are they likely to make the sensitive dog sick as well? What's the best place to get them online?

Bully sticks, antlers, Kongs stuffed with Peanut butter or their wet food and frozen.

Bully sticks are pricey but they do keep our dogs teeth clean and she loves them. She doesn't have a sensitive stomach but she has never had a problem with these. I usually get them from:

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/
    Member of the Redheads with Redheads clique.
    I have a blog about Sammy: http://www.sammyssaga.blogspot.com/

Antlers are expensive, but my boxer mix has had hers for a year and a half and it is just now starting to get "smaller". She absolutely loves it. No splinters, no stomach issues, it is great. My dog is allergic to a lot of food and has a super sensitive stomach so it may be a good idea to try.

My dog doesn't go for the Nyla Bones and they have a tendency to get sharp edges from the chewing.

it's the shearing action of teeth going through soft tissue like meat that cleans their teeth; just gnawing on something hard like an antler, nylabone, kong, or a large weight-bearing bone won't do much for cleaning. It will keep the dog happily occupied- dog pacifiers. Be warned that gnawing on hard bison or beef bones can fracture dog's teeth or wear them down, and nylabones are indigestible and can block the gut and kill your dog.

If you want to clean teeth you need something softer the back molars will cut through. Bully sticks, rawhide, raw meat, soft raw bones like young chicken or lamb bones.

My dog won't touch the antlers--sigh!--but does love the hard cheese sticks.

http://www.petexpertise.com/dog-toys...-dog-chew.html

Antlers are all that our dogs chew
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Thanks, everyone. Looks like I need to order some bully sticks. I hate the idea of Nylabones-I just don't see how they can be good for a dog, and they are pricey. I brush their teeth, but I am not consistent and it just doesn't cut it like chewing on something does. Here's hoping the bully stick doesn't upset someone's delicate system.

Mine loves antlers and they also really like Dentasix for their teeth brushing. I have noticed a difference in bad breath and tartar wit the Dentasix too.
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here." ~ Desiderata by Max Ehrmann

For those of you who use antlers - are your dogs just chewers in general? If not, did the antlers entice them to be? If so, how long did the enticement last?

Our dogs are not big chewers (great for us, not so great for their teeth LOL). We keep on top of it by getting a regular supply of meat bones, but it DOES get $$$ These are 70lb dogs, so we get big bones.

But, once the meat is gone, they lose interest, so bones rarely get chewed until they are too small to be safe.

I'd be quite willing to buy antlers if I even remotely thought they'd be a good choice.

My dog is a chewer and has actually fractured both carnassials chewing on beef bones. She chews on bone, on the hard cheese sticks I linked earlier, and on rawhide.

She will not go near antler. It was an expensive lesson. I'm hoping the puppy will find it more interesting.

my dog is a below average chewer. He will go after a bully stick for a bit or work on a raw bone started by another dog. He wouldn't even pick up an antler even though he chews on sticks all the time. Expensive lesson.

Bully sticks are like crack for my dogs!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    For those of you who use antlers - are your dogs just chewers in general? If not, did the antlers entice them to be? If so, how long did the enticement last?
    My boxer mix Lola is not a big chewer. She prefers her stuffy toys and a kong, but only if it has peanut butter and she licks.. not chews. Lola enjoys the antlers and it is really the only thing she chews on. She stuck her nose up at Nylabones and could care less about them.

My wheaten mix Zeus is a chewy boy. He likes soft rubber chewies, my phone cord (grr), the antler, etc. Other than my phone charger and nook charger he doesn't go after anything that is not a toy.

I don't feel like the antlers made them chew on anything more than before and for a toy that lasts over a year it is worth the $20 I paid.

Antlers last that long? There's actually a pair (connected by a chunk of skull and whatnot) laying in the garage that has been disgusting me for months. I haven't been near it since my son told me there were maggots in it. I suppose it's clean now. I wonder if someone would notice if they went missing? There's also a much cleaner antler laying on top of the gun cabinet right now.

Gave the dogs some larger rawhides tonight and they took to those pretty well, although one needed some encouragement. I did find bully sticks made in Brazil at Farm and Fleet, but was hoping to find some USA product online.

I HATE RAWHIDES FOR DOGS!

They don't chew up well, and my parents had a dog that chewed it until it was soft and soggy, and then tried to swallow it. She choked on it really bad, and they had to reach down her throat and pull it out. I will never feed my dogs anything rawhide. Please think of this when feeding something that they can chew to a poitn of thinking they can swallow it, but that doesn't chew up into small enough pieces to swallow!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

rockon - yeah, ours are so little into chewing that the nylabones (or whatever) we got them at 8 months are still around, 7 years later

Kong? Yeah, if it's got pb in it and then it's all tongue action

I might (!!) buy *one* and see how it goes. I will NOT tell hubby how much it was

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Our dogs are not big chewers (great for us, not so great for their teeth LOL). We keep on top of it by getting a regular supply of meat bones, but it DOES get $$$ These are 70lb dogs, so we get big bones.

But, once the meat is gone, they lose interest, so bones rarely get chewed until they are too small to be safe.

I'd be quite willing to buy antlers if I even remotely thought they'd be a good choice.
    I got a couple of antlers for my chewing BC mix. She was very interested in it for a day day or two, then ocassionally interested for a few more weeks, then not at all interested. She is big on chewing, but she likes something that tears...whether it is meat off a marrow bone, a bully stick or something she steals and shreds up. I won't be buying her more antlers, as they are quite expensive and she looses interest in the bare chewing object, long before it's worn out.

She treats bones the same way your dogs do...they are good until they are bare, then they are just lying around the house for me to step on in the dark . My ACD will gnaw bare bones once and a while, but not the BC mix. I've been getting some big bags of bones at H-Mart. I don't know if there is one anywhere near you, it is a Korean super store, huge, with very good prices. There are all kinds of interesting meat frozen bones, including oxtails, much cheaper than in my regular supermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I HATE RAWHIDES FOR DOGS!

They don't chew up well, and my parents had a dog that chewed it until it was soft and soggy, and then tried to swallow it. She choked on it really bad, and they had to reach down her throat and pull it out. I will never feed my dogs anything rawhide. Please think of this when feeding something that they can chew to a poitn of thinking they can swallow it, but that doesn't chew up into small enough pieces to swallow!
    I don't give raw hide either. A few months ago, my younger dog got into some chocolate, that my young son left within her reach. So, I got out the hydrogen peroxide and made her puke it up...in addition to the chocolate, out came a very loonng, narrow strip of rawhide. There's no way that would have made it all the way through cleanly. I didn't give it to her, I figured a neighbor kid tossed it over our fence...one neighbor has small dogs and it looked like an unravelled, small, rawhide bone. I then thanked my son for the chocolate accident and spoke to the neighbor about not letting her small dog toys and chews get into my yard because they aren't safe for my big dogs, who will swallow them whole.