The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ammy friendly offspring for Hunters

I'm looking around for my next adult/amateur horse. Don't have a huge budget so figured I should be looking at 1-2 yr olds. What lines do you guys suggest look I for? Any other ideas on where I should look.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sparky Boy; Jun. 24, 2012 at 09:06 AM.
    https://www.facebook.com/HunterHillFarmIowa

Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Escudo I and Cassini I is blood commonly found in the hunter ring. Acodetto has made some really nice hunters. I do know of a striking yearling for sale.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

My stallions, Nevada, and Oliver have both sired amateur friendly offspring.

We have lovely temperaments from Rubignon given to our yearling filly and I've always loved the Landkoenig temperament, although my Pablo four year old has a super temperament now that he's settling down to a show career over fences.

Laurel Leaf Hanoverians/FACEBOOK and Diane Halpin/ FACEBOOK

Default Sir Caletto foals have wonderful amatuer friendly temperaments...

Check out their website:

www.silverhorne.com

never seen a wild temperament from him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponylady99 View Post
    Check out their website:

www.silverhorne.com

never seen a wild temperament from him yet.
    Really??!! Being in CA I have known of a few that are (for lack of a better way to describe them..) better jumper or event prospects, and not ammy rides. He certainly sires some nice horses, but I don't know that I would buy a 1-2 year old banking on a ammy hunter temperament. Certainly look at them though..but I think saying he never sired a difficult temperament is a little stretch, they have a bit of a reputation for not necessarily being easy.

Ones I have had personal experience with: A dressage stallion, but Fabuleux sometimes throws a great jump and gorgeous hunter movement with a easy temperament. Landkonig can also do the same, and I have seen loads of them that are sweet as can be and look easy. Don Alfredo is another one. And an older bloodline but also look for All the Gold in the pedigree.

I am also a big fan of some of the offspring I have seen (via video mind you) of Beste Gold. If I was looking for a hunter prospect I'd probably contact Magic Rose Farm (who posts on here) and see what's available.

Riverman ISF...Have had 2 and they are total Ammy horses and have the movement for Hunters.

We've had great temperaments on all of our R-line babies and our D-line babies (all are owned by adult amateurs).
    My personal favorite is a Don Alfredo colt that we have...wish every day he was a filly so I could justify keeping him...I just don't show enough anymore and he's too fancy not to be out doing great things. He's a real sweetheart on top of his fancy moves

You can look for specific lines, but also ask breeders which individuals have the kind of disposition you are looking for. Sometimes different individuals from the same lines can be very different.

I've had great success with Oxford. He's put a super ammy friendly mind on all of the ones I've produced. I've had Oxford out of 3 different mares, and they all had super brains and were the EASIEST to start.

Don't forget to look at the mother as an individual and her breeding. She contributes more then 50% of the equation. Her behaviour early in life shapes that of her foals. The development at the farm is also key. I'm a firm believer then ammy friendly horses are raised and developed...it's a lot more then just genetics.

All of our Escapade babies have been very easy to work with. We started our 3 year old under saddle ourselves and in less than 5 rides she was packing around our 16 year old daughter. I love their brains.
    This year we had a colt by Amazing, and if his disposition now is at all an indicator of what he will be like in a few years he will be the easiest by far. He is so agreeable and just loves people. I would highly recommend either. Just thought I would add that ours are all out of TB mares also Good luck in your search.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Fabuleaux

If you are open to Thoroughbreds, my stallion Noles is throwing some very nice hunter offspring. The 2 yr olds are ridden by my junior working students. Taking one of my 3 yr olds to Culpeper tomorrow for my other trainer to see. He's going to be super fancy
    www.hilltopfarmva.com

Facebook: Hilltop Farm VA

Beste Gold has SUPER ammy friendly offspring ( and junior friendly ) despite the oldest in the hunters being 6 yr
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Quote Originally Posted by alliekat View Post
    All of our Escapade babies have been very easy to work with. We started our 3 year old under saddle ourselves and in less than 5 rides she was packing around our 16 year old daughter. I love their brains.
    My Escapade mare has been easy peasy as well, but her dam was pretty well known for producing top quality, ammy friendly horses, so who knows who its from. I like to think a healthy mixture of both :-)

Thumbs up WESTPORTE

Westporte without question!

I have 2 offspring and both are amazing and incredibly amateur friendly!

West Hampton won the IHF 4 year old championships and is so easy and uncomplicated. Only needs to show now and then and winning in the 3' Pre green hunters.

Porte O' Call is so easy to work around and quite flashy!
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/classifi...s_featured=All
    http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/H...02&UserID=5509
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

don alfredo.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby416 View Post
    My Escapade mare has been easy peasy as well, but her dam was pretty well known for producing top quality, ammy friendly horses, so who knows who its from. I like to think a healthy mixture of both :-)
    Of course!! My mares are the same way and I would like to think my handling from an early age plays a roll in it as well LOL.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by NorthHillFarm View Post
    We've had great temperaments on all of our R-line babies and our D-line babies (all are owned by adult amateurs).
    My personal favorite is a Don Alfredo colt that we have...wish every day he was a filly so I could justify keeping him...I just don't show enough anymore and he's too fancy not to be out doing great things. He's a real sweetheart on top of his fancy moves
    I have to second this since I got my R-line baby from NHF. Hi Maggie! We also have a ton of Don Alfredo's in my area and they all have had wonderful temperments. My girl walked off the trailer after a 12 hour ride in the middle of the night like she had been doing it her whole life. She is so brave and very sweet. Even forgiving when my ammy self butchers her mane. I have always heard very similar things from others that have R-line babies. Good luck! I am having so much fun with my yearling and time really flies. The first yearling I bought is 11 now! I still can't believe it.

Edited to add: My experience finding mine was really fun. I started by finding stallions I liked and found out as much about them as possible. I looked at as many offspring as I could and then I searched for a breeder that used the stallion if the actual SO didn't have any that fit the bill. I was lucky in that I have an A/O friend who brings her own along and sent her the info of the mares for her opinion which was invaluable.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRoseFarm View Post
    Beste Gold has SUPER ammy friendly offspring ( and junior friendly ) despite the oldest in the hunters being 6 yr
    I have not seen Bill's offspring but I have a related 4 year old (through the G-line) and the line has AMAZING temperaments. You can trust these horses. Intelligent and very human oriented and trusting without being deadheads.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by vandenbrink View Post
    You can look for specific lines, but also ask breeders which individuals have the kind of disposition you are looking for. Sometimes different individuals from the same lines can be very different.

Don't forget to look at the mother as an individual and her breeding. She contributes more then 50% of the equation. Her behaviour early in life shapes that of her foals. The development at the farm is also key. I'm a firm believer then ammy friendly horses are raised and developed...it's a lot more then just genetics.
    Agreed! I have one mare whose foals all just pop out as laid back as the day is long. They are friendly and easy from before they even stand up!

As for stallions, I would say Ideal. The temperament is there and he really passes his incredible jump. http://www.ultimatepiaffe.com/jumpers.htm
    However, you won't find very many 1-2 year olds available due to his older age. All the ones I've known were very friendly, forgiving, easy-going, and fun (though occassionally can be too smart for their own good or too pushy if they were raised by someone passive or not knowledgeable about raising youngsters)