The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Conformation critique please

Hi

I am curious as to your thoughts about conformation of this mare to breed. She is a 15.3hh 10 yr old TB by Marju (out of Under Cover). She raced 20 times and won once - that doesn't particularly interest me. She has had three foals (all by TB stallions for racing).

I am an amateur rider that dabbles in a bit of everything - dressage, show hunter, showing, eventing, hunting. I am realistic about my riding ability and know that I am not a threat to any Olympic rider I am currently riding a home bred mare (and just had to have her full sister PTS).

I am looking putting an Andalusian stallion over her - not everyone's cup of tea I appreciate, but I am looking for a low maintenance all rounder.

It is winter here - we've had a couple of weeks of really cold weather, and a week of rain - so please excuse her appearance (and the state of the paddock!). I love her neck and shoulder. She has medium bone - I don't like too fine, or too clunky. She has have a nice face and a kind eye - not that you can see it with my shite photography!

Thanks

http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMG_0350.jpg

Well I must say Marju doesn't half stamp them! She's a nice compact mare and seems quite correct from the picture. I know nothing of how Andalusions breed so can't help you there. The Marju's I have delt with were quite quirky. I had one that was 14 hands fully grown from a very decent family line that was an absolute nut. She ended up a polo pony.

If it were me looking for an all rounder I probably wouldn't go Andalusian but maybe an Irish horse. (Yes, some of you might have just fainted). I'm sure some Andy people will tell me I'm wrong, but just going from my own experience which is zilch with Andy's.

Anyway, best of luck with her. She's a lovely mare.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Her head and neck do seem quite nice (no we can't see them well, I understand. Not a great photographer myself..).

She does seem a little back at the knee, and her pasterns especially the near fore don't seem to be well aligned with her hooves.. Perhaps the farrier could work on balancing the hoof/pastern angles?

She has quite the motor behind!
    Is she sound after 20 starts? What are her bloodlines?

As for a choice of stallion for her , I am not qualified to give an opinion. I just happen to be up quite late. There are people here that can give you good advice though, just wait for them to wake up.

I don't believe Andalusians are much for cross country as a rule (I'm sure there are exceptions, and it depends on the stallions you have available). I wouldn't choose Andalusion for her and I think Equilibrium's suggestion of Irish is brilliant.
    See? Told you someone smart would wake up!
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 23, 2012 at 05:21 AM. Reason: To Add.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Well I must say Marju doesn't half stamp them!
    I've never met a Marju before - I had to ask on a horsy forum lol

The Marju's I have delt with were quite quirky.
    Quirky I can live with, nuts not so keen...

maybe an Irish horse.
    I have/had two part bred Andalusians, hence that choice. Not adverse to Irish though

Kyrie, between Andalusian and Lusitano, I'd use a Lusitano. You'd get the calm and quiet temperament, but with more of an athletic ability.

Andalusians are a bit too heavy...

No comment on the stallion but I can say this is a quality mare.

The things I would try to tweek for the next cross would be the neck and the shoulder. I prefrer a longer arching neck and slightly more muscle at the shoulder (think Donnerhall cross).

Dan

That is certainly a nice looking mare -- lots of depth and substance! Haven't been around Andy's much, but for what you want, I'd go with a good Thoroughbred or a wb that has some refinement. Maybe a Sandro Hit son? Not familiar with her family -- who is her sire by?

PennyG

Last Tycoon. (Looked up on all Breed Pedigree). I like her dam side!
    KyrieNZ, what was the breeding of the Andalusian crosses that you've had before?

Kyrie - Welcome fellow New Zealander! I'm sooo pleased you put up a pic of your mare here - she is an excellent example of the sort of quality breeding stock we have here in NZ.

Your mare is a lovely starting proposition. Love the neck/shoulder, her short back, strong loins, and massive quarters with a superb length of hip. She has a marginally weak fore leg and typically TB slopey pasterns but her nice big feet make up for it a bit.

What a nice mare.

I know part bred Andies have done extremely well for NZ ammy owner/riders. The stallion Catherino II was a freak of a sire, producing gazillions of superb mid-level mounts with lovely natures and pretty looks from almost any type/breed of mare. Several were exceptional performers in top competition. A rash of other sires and (sire sons) became available but to my mind none have come close to Catherino II.

So I understand your desire for another Andy cross bred! But these are different times and choices are better than ever before. Without putting a downer on things, you never know what life will throw your way. Although you plan to keep this foal, it doesn't hurt to breed it as if you may need to sell it one day.

With that in mind, take a look around at what's on offer. Are you open to using frozen or fresh shipped semen? What is your budget like?

Sorry for the ramble...

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

That is a lovely, lovely TB mare. She reminds me a lot of one that I have in my pasture. I can see how she might go very well with a baroque stallion.

No suggestions, as I just wanted to comment on the mare.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I agree that this is a solid, substantial good-looking mare.
    Like Terri, I have had little experience with Andalusians, but I too would think you would get something lovely from her, that would suit your purposes, by breeding to an RID,or RID/TBX.
    Good luck and thanks for sharing.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Hi NZ poster! I had the best time showing my NZ bred TB in jumpers! Fond of NZ TBs!

That said? For my own further love of learning from confo critiques? I don't love her shoulder so much. Dropping a plumb line over front legs? I don't like the angle that much for athletic jumping skill....but I am ever a student.....
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

She appears to be lacking some muscle, although the muscle does have shape which may indicate a stronger build with feed.

This is based on photo only.

Looking at the bone structure (Thoroughbred considered) and we have nice short fore cannons, longer forearm, a flatter arm that leads into a lovely closed shoulder joint. The shoulder blade has average slope but its good extra length ensures a well set wither and even head carriage. The fore certainly encourages a longer and efficient stride at the gallop.

The back, girth depth and barrel size are all fine.

Looking at the hind and we have good extra length to the croup although it lacks a touch of muscle shape at this stage. The lower hind proportions are pretty standard (good thing).

Overall appears as a versatile middle distance type (based on photo, not breeding etc) and actually has excellent athletic potential. Based on this *image would rate within the top 5 - 10% for general conformation in my opinion.
    Last edited by oneyequine; Jun. 24, 2012 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Dogs View Post
    I don't like the angle that much for athletic jumping skill....but I am ever a student.....
    More of an eventer, rather than show jumper type.

Thanks for all the comments, muchly appreciated.

I pick her up this weekend

I do like Irish/Irish crosses but think that cross would result in something too big and too solid for what I want. I'm 5'4" - I prefer 16hh ish.

I am hoping to put her to one of the original Andalusian stallions in NZ - Maluso. I have/had two of his already, just had one of them PTS I know I am not going to get a replica of what I have had/currently have, but I do like the TB/Andalusian cross for what I want to do

I have an ISH who is 3/4 TB by breeding. He's a nice, stout 15.2 and a half at 3, I don't think he'll get too much bigger. Both parents are 16, and if he gets to that height I'll be pretty surprised.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I currently have a full PRE Andalusian mare, an Andalusian/TB (Iberian Warmblood) and an Andalusian/Friesian (Warlander). The Andalusian/TB is mare is one of the most talented horses I've ever sat on. She has the best qualities of both breeds: she is a fantastic mover, is a great jumper and is incredibly athletic with an excellent gallop.

I realize a sample size of 3 is not very large, but none of mine are at all brave. They range from slightly to very spooky, and none are remotely bold cross country horses. I love the Andalusian temperament in general, but I would personally steer clear of Andalusian crosses for eventing if you are looking for something novice friendly for cross country, among other things. I agree that an Irish horse might be a more suitable cross for what you're looking for.

so I see we have the same name..that should prove confusing to alot of people

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm OK with it.

good for you..