The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old kitty blues... opinions?

My 15 year old man became just about completely inactive yesterday. He has slept 99% of the time.all blood work was "perfect" according to the vet. Gave himsome anitbiotics in case his teeth were bothering him and Revolution.
    He ate some canned food when I brought it too him, but I had to stand him up in front of water to get him to drink.
    He purrs if I hold him.
    He is not suffering.
    BUT.... I leave saturday til wed. then fri- sun for out of state jobs.
    Should I put him down while I am here? I hate to leave that to the house sitter. I don't feel he is going to "get better". There is no cure for being a 15 year old super cat. he is just so special. He is the last cat that my father loved.
    Damn it all.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I'm really sorry. My parents were just forced to make a similar decision. If you want me to expand on that, I can....but I don't want to influence your decision.

*hugs*
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

You know him better cause you're living there with him in person, but.....why put him down? Old kitties sleep!

I have a 17 year old right now who has done almost nothing but sleep and ask for food for the past five years. He's awake when I come down in the morning and asking for food (after I shove his litany of daily pills down his throat), then goes to bed. He wakes up when I come in for lunch, and gets more food, then goes back to sleep. Then when everyone is in for dinner (his favorite box is right in the kitchen) he wakes up and asks for more food. (And his dinner pill.)

He's got thyroid issues and what is most likely a brain tumor (has some neuro stuff over the last couple months, actually had him at the vet to put him down before we tried a steroid, which seems to be working) and is deaf, but is otherwise content and is in good weight. Perfect litter box habits. He still puts the dogs in their place, and will happily wake up and sit in a lap for hours, purring.

Sometimes he sleeps really really deeply and I shake him to make sure he's not dead. Occasionally I have to shake him really really hard to make sure he's not dead. I fully expect that when he does die, it will be peacefully in his sleep and I'll just look like an idiot shaking a dead cat before I realize he's actually dead this time. (I have to give him a good shake at least once a week, for the past couple of years, so you can see how it has progressed from a potentially horrific task to a humorous one.)

Long story short: If he's just sleeping, and the bloodwork is perfect, why worry? I love kitties and always have a bunch (six currently, all young'ins except for the oldster discussed above) and have had MANY live into their twenties. Old cats just sleep a lot. Usually we put their water dishes closer to the favorite sleeping spot, and food dishes if the dogs will leave them alone, and just live and let live.

I'd just leave him be, but leave specific instructions with both your sitter & your vet in case things come to a definite head while you're gone.

I'd just leave him be, with specific instructions left for both your sitter & your vet should anything go pear-shaped while you're gone. And just check in periodically - as I'm sure you will anyway - to see how things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    You know him better cause you're living there with him in person, but.....why put him down? Old kitties sleep!......

Long story short: If he's just sleeping, and the bloodwork is perfect, why worry? I love kitties and always have a bunch (six currently, all young'ins except for the oldster discussed above) and have had MANY live into their twenties. Old cats just sleep a lot. Usually we put their water dishes closer to the favorite sleeping spot, and food dishes if the dogs will leave them alone, and just live and let live.
    This!

Please don't rush to put him down. And really, 15 is not THAT old in kitty life. I too have had cats live into their twenties - and yes, as they aged they slept a LOT (and sometimes we'd have to look carefully at their sides to make sure they were still breathing.

A few thoughts about your kitty. Could the heat be bothering him? As animals get older they are less able to handle heat (and cold). Is he in a room with A/C or at least a fan?

If he isn't drinking enough, could he be dehydrated? This can cause lethargy too.

Also, sometimes as they aged, our cats would suddenly get rather picky (or should I say *pickier*) about their food. Maybe try offering him a few different choices in different bowls (all at the same time) to perk up his appetite.

Any of these (and other) things may or may not work, but if he has no medical issues (bloodwork all normal), I wouldn't rush to end his life, especially at only 15. He could easily have many more years with you.

Since you'll be gone for a few days at a time, would your house sitter be willing/able to deal with any emergency?

I know this is all very hard to deal with and I'm sorry that you're going through it now (especially since you have to travel soon). Tough situation for sure. Jingling for a good outcome.

thanks for all the replies.
    He broke his pelvis about 1 1/2 years ago, and that is the other factor besides his age. I had a 22 year old cat! So I know 15 can not be too old, but he acts old. he was supposed to be an indoor/outdoor cat on the farm, but he has wanted to be waaayyyy more an outdoor cat. this winter, last thing at night I'd try to hunt him down and bring him in.
    he is now staying in, in the air, but wants to be in the bathroom, which works fine.
    I appreciate your help so much and I think I will wait and hope he stays the same while I am gone.
    You guys are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    He broke his pelvis about 1 1/2 years ago, and that is the other factor besides his age. I had a 22 year old cat! So I know 15 can not be too old, but he acts old. he was supposed to be an indoor/outdoor cat on the farm, but he has wanted to be waaayyyy more an outdoor cat. this winter, last thing at night I'd try to hunt him down and bring him in.
    he is now staying in, in the air, but wants to be in the bathroom, which works fine.
    I appreciate your help so much and I think I will wait and hope he stays the same while I am gone.
    You guys are sweet.
    Jingles that he's just decided he's hot, old, and done being an outdoor kitty! I had an outdoor cat (all of mine are indoor, but she just appeared and didn't want to come in) who spontaneously decided that she was going to be an indoor cat around age 10....she just followed me into the house one day and never looked back! Sometimes they just decide to live the easy life.

Just in terms of getting him to eat/fluids...try some Fancy Feast. My old man refused all the delicious grain free options I offered him over the years, and refused to eat anything except Friskies. The last year or so he got even pickier, eating only a few "textures" of Friskies. And then he just started picking at it, particularly in the evening when he'd get the half of the can left over from the morning. I came here, exasperated, pretty sure I was going to watch my hyperthyroid cat starve to death! Many lovely COTHers suggested Fancy Feast, and while I cringe every time I buy it.....he absolutely loves it, every flavor. Scarfs it right down. And while the small cans are just hideously expensive, the portion is right for a single feeding, and if he eats it all, who cares, he's 17 and can demand "expensive" food if he wants!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    You guys are sweet.
    Our cats like to hang out in the Bathroom too, and our dog used to sleep on the cool stone floor next to the fireplace in the summer. I think if its hot animals will lay on any cooler surface to be more comfortable.

Definitely keep the AC on when you're away, at least on the floor of the house the cat spends most time in, and like everyone says, cats sleep, especially as they get older!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

My 17 year old was also displaying similar symptoms. I thought, it was the end, cancer, or some other life threatening thing. He was letharic, losing weight, just seemed to be losing interest in everything.

We brought him into the vet, got xrays - perfect, got bloodwork - perfect. He is also an indoor cat, has been for several years. Vet opted to try treating him for worms (forgot the name but its two pills given two weeks apart) and viola! He perked up immediately and put some weight back on. He is back to his old self. I never would have guessed it. But I board my horse at a facility, there are numerous animals I interact with (including cats). I probably brought something in with me that he caught. But the treatment worked and I was very much relieved.

Default Jingles & AO for your dear 'old man" ~ safe travels ~

Jingles & AO for your dear 'old man' ~

Safe travels ~ hurry home ``

He'll be waiting and glad to see you ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I just had my 15 year old cat in for constipation and dehydration. Lo and behold a UTI showed up. He's never had one before and since I've had two boys with it before I'm pretty in tuned to it. A couple days on antibiotics and he was a different cat. I too jumped on the OMG he's dying wagon but the blood work came out perfect and it was a UTI.