The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else...? (OTTB Pedigree/confo critique)--Update

Does anyone else see potential in this mare?

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ainer-listings

I love the shoulder angles and most of the proportions. I think she could use a little more depth in the hip and a more refined neck, but what do you think?

I thought her pedigree was nifty too, but again, what's your opinion?
    Last edited by Vermilion; Oct. 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
    "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

Better than average, but I'd surely want to see a picture without her neck yanked up in the air. Her ankles are a little thick, and she either looks down in the ankles behind or her feet are much worse than average back there. For the price, however, I would go and look if I were shopping for an OTTB.
    Click here before you buy.

I definitely would have to agree about the ankles, now that you've mentioned it.

Does anyone know her sire?

What about the sport-potential of Langfuhr?

Does she come out of a good mare line for sport?

Lagfur is Danzig, but the rest of the Pedigree is relatively obscure????

He ankles do look a little worn up front, the hinds a victum of long toes no heels.
    she does have plenty of bone.

A better phot to see how her neck really works is needed.

My ask is .....she is 6yr old and has 16 starts..?? awefully light racing for a sound horse...

I LOVE this mare, and I would have her shipped out here if shipping weren't so expensive. Her pedigree is beautiful for sport--Double Jay twice, Crozier, Langfuhr, My Babu twice, Nodouble, tail female to two Reines-de-Course. Her sire was super durable with *121* starts and her dam wasn't terrible with 24. On the bottom side, Bold Example is a full sibling to Good Lad, who had 146 starts. Healthy dose of durability in this pedigree. And, wow, it's just so old school. You go from 2006 to 1907 in five generations. That's just amazing.

Go get her and post lots of pictures so I can live vicariously through you

Judy, she's got 34 starts per equibase: http://equibase.com/profiles/Results...498&registry=T

I love that she didn't start until she was three. I'd want to know why she hasn't had any starts this year, though.

What a classy-looking girl, with real substance! LOVELY shoulder and all-over good proportions, as you noticed. Can't speak to the "sportiness" of her pedigree, I only know TB pedigrees for racing, but Simkie has given expert analysis, so there you go.

I'm not an eventer or a confo expert, so please help me out here (I hope to be in the market for an OTTB myself someday so try to learn all I can). Does it bother anyone to see her a hair tied-in below the knees, or that her hind legs are a bit straight? Will the latter angles improve when those horrid long toes are brought in and heels raised (I know that will take time)?
    Last edited by RiderWriter; Jun. 23, 2012 at 04:28 PM.

Apparently I just needed to open my eyes a bit wider, 'cuz I just found the thread re: posty hocks, which certainly has a thorough discussion on THAT issue!

I know this gal's are not that bad, so I imagine the consensus here will be when you look at the big picture, she'll be just fine, depending on intended use.

I like her -- she looks so well cared for, which is a plus, because it indicates someone cares. There are shadows in the photo around her ankles, which don't look like they have any big issues to me. She is sitting back on her heels behind, which is what happens at the track. Great shoulder, nice eye and expression, Simkie did a great job on the pedigree analysis. She is maybe a bit tied in below the knee, but nothing to really get your knickers in a knot over. Overall, she looks clean-legged and in nice condition with some depth in her shoulders and body. Even with her neck up you can see she ties in decently to her withers and back. Go get her!
    PennyG

I like her! And I liker her name. Hehe...
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

I was told she may already be sold. If not I could probably get
    Erica to go hack and get some video. I think this was a last minute listing so she didn't
    have her video camera handy. She did say the mare was a nice, big mover.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Truth be told, I was on my way to see her this morning! I wanted some opinions minus the enablers. I live with an enabler so I almost need anti-enablers hanging around. Hahaha. Anyway.

Let me just start out by saying...These pictures do her NO justice. This mare is built like a brick s**t house (in a good way). Just wow. A warmblood with a thoroughbred face. She is just that solid in person. She is long in the back but she still over tracks from behind, her stride is so big. Unfortunately, her neck is a bit thick and unrefined as it looked in the pictures, but she apparently doesn't have an issue being on the vertical because she's more than happy to sit there and lick my hand the entire time with a finely arched neck! Her front toed out ever so slightly and she almost appeared a tad sickle hocked in person believe it or not (I can't say we stood her up to look at specific conformation though). The most concerning thing was a somewhat green osselet. There was no heat and while soft, it was practically unnoticeable and she traveled evenly and soundly. He decided to retire her instead of potentially causing any more problems with it.

She was clearly her owners baby. It looks like she has always been well taken care of. He has owned her her entire career. He is selling her without papers to ensure she never races again. Said he'd work something out with the papers in the event she's ever bred. I know this because I put a deposit on her!! Hooves crossed everything works out and she'll be in my hands by the end of the week.

Thank you all for your input. Feel free to keep spilling the beans anyhow. I love talking conformation.

Well done Vermillion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME, Vermillion! Congrats--she is a FIND.

You go girl! I love her!!! And noooo..I dont have a Langfuhr bias!

Thanks guys! I'm so excited to bring her home. Everything is set for Saturday...Now it's just down to counting the days!

I must remember to take some pictures this time and share. She's such a lovely girl.

Glad you're getting her, she is gorgeous! Her back is a wee bit longer than I like, but the rest of her more than makes up for it!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Love her, congrats! I agree her back is a little bit long so take it slow and muscle her up gradually. I like the long back, hocks on the straight side for a jumper. They can take work on the flat but Frank Chapot notes in his book that this combination can produce excellent scope in a jumper. She exudes the look of a big-moving sweet horse with a long stride and I bet you will have a lot of fun with her. She has a lot of promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I love that she didn't start until she was three. I'd want to know why she hasn't had any starts this year, though.
    ETA: Saw she is yours now My thought was they stopped to breed her and perhaps she didn't catch. But nice big mare. Have fun with her!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Congrats!!!! What a pretty girl! Keep us posted on how things go. So excited for you!

Alright ladies and gents. The count down begins after a short nap. I'll be starting the trek to go get the lovely.

I'm sooo excited about her! Wish me luck. I'll try to grab photos and pray that no one melts in the heat wave.

Since there's already a "Queen Z" out there, I thought I'd go ahead and give her the barn name of "Queen B" haha. Her current owner calls her "Bee", but I already own a "B."

But anyway, lots of nervous energy here tonight. I just want everything to go smoothly. You guys are awesome for all of your encouragement and advice!