The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

OK- IF -IF -IF our website could be revamped and offer advertising possibilities (as a way to keep it going) in the future, I would like to get an idea just how popular the advertising thing could/would be. We are talking about banners, not classifieds, although those are not out of the question either. If you or someone you know would be interested, please chat it up either here or in an e-mail to me. This is very important. I understand that price is a consideration, however I don't have a completely clear picture on that. I can assure you that it would be very affordable. The more interest in it- the more affordable, I'm thinking.

Also ideas like a message board/forum, a history of the Org. page, classified section, candid photo page, and LIPHA and LIHSAA Update page have been tossed around.

I have been chatting with Claire, and she has great ideas and can help us put them into fruition.

So, please let's generate some advertising interest and let me know so we can get an idea just how this endeavor will stay afloat. Thank you.

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose."
    \"I can\'t drive....55!!!!\" Sammy Hagar

Although I'm now in VA, am originally from Long Island. Depending on costs, layout, etc. I might be interested in advertising my fledgling sporthorse breeding operation on your site.

Keep us updated.

Spoke with knowledgeable young person who is horsey and a whiz at designing website s . He says that our site needs revamping anyway but none if what we are discussing is hard to get done at all!!!!!I think we could get a large number of ads for a yearly fee plus classifieds none of this should be hard but we need to get all the data everything well organized to present to board !!!
    Brilyntrip

I believe Janet, that person sounds great. We need someone who will take this job on and have the time!! Have the time to take phone calls, answer e-mail,drum up advertisments and post information [ie:diner dance coming up, start thinking about table arrangements, send in checks with list of names and if reserving a full table a full list of the names....big plug done by myself there lol [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]] I this short time, look at the interest in advertising. I love the banner idea. Marty and I would definitly do an add and many of our clients I know would like to one for their buisness.

I've heard so many nice thigs about you Claire. Welcome to the madness and thanks for your offer. We could use someone with your knowledge of the WWW. world! See you at the next horseshow or when I come to Morningstar for a visit!!!

Breezymeadow-thanks and we'll keep you up to date!!!

Karin- I have seen the improvements on Catchride and they look really great. If anyone would know-he would!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

Thanks Gold Dust. I hope everything comes through with this project. I think there's a lot of potential for the site. Feel free to email me with any other questions.
    On another note no horse shows for me yet, have some steering issues to work on ~grin~ but I look forward to meeting you at Morningstar.
    Have a great weekend!
    ~Claire

Well I just got off the phone with Deb and she told me that the invitations are being mailed out next week for the LIPHA dinner dance. Dinner Dance? Oh there is still a Dinner Dance? Who going to it? No one knows if they even have a chance with 6th place!!! So if you dont think this is a problem then I dont know what is, i understand that we should be geared up for next years improvements but this has been a problem all year. You may not want to hear anymore about this topic, like I have read in earlier posts, But its a problem that no one has gotten to the bottom of. All we have heard is that Micheal is working on it, 2 weeks ago Laura said that Micheal promised he would have an update on the points, "And again, nothing has been done. Why couldnt someone do something about this problem earlier? Instead it got worse! So how do you fix problems if you dont handle them the right way. When you saw that the job wasnt getting done, Why didnt we get another person to step in, maybe then we wouldnt have this problem. Tell me I am wrong, but dont tell me to drop the topic because we have the PHA horse show to think about, I can think of more then 1 topic at a time to focus on. Without points there is no dinner dance. And its unfair to keep people and kids hanging on to something that they might not of even had a chance in getting but they dont know not to because nothing is ever update. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

It cannot be, or could ever have been, handed over to anyone else. No one can just take over the job. We couldn't start a new site- that takes $$ and Michael has all the points anyway. He still holds the reins and until the end of the year, there is not much we can do.

I understand how all of you feel about not knowing where you stand. Heck, I'm not sure where I stand!! I am aware of some who don't know if they are even in the top 6 of their division. There is a Childrens Hunter in my barn who got a late start and could be receiving a low prize, but how would she know? She's 13th on the list right now!!!

But concerning yourself about this year's problems is truly futile at this point. Rectifying this for next year is all we should be concerned with. And we now have losts of help and input from others who can do the job.

The next step is to propose someone, their price sheet, and their ideas to the board. Laura does not want to meet until after the Dance, so we have lots of time to get organized.
    Claire is available for all to talk to and question. That's a big start. I'm thrilled we have someone with ideas for an informative new site.

As far as the website deleyer[and not just because she is my sister in-law]projects the feelings of most of our comunity. Yes,it is where we stand and we have to deal with it. I believe this was a huge mistake made by the board. I predicted this months ago and everyone said to me 'No, you cann't be right' and sorry to say I was. I do believe you should learn from mistakes. On that note, why in the world do we need to get started after the diner dance?? I was under the impression Laura did not want a meeting until after the dance. No reason we cann't get working on this now via e-mail and phone for the board or executive comittee to aprove befor our next meeting. If it needs a meeting for approval I guess I could request an emergency meeting then. Now that I am on the board I guess I will be labeled as the resident pain in the butt!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] If we have someone who is already willing to step up to the plate and has stated how easily she could begin re-vamping the site why not let her get started now? The first show of next season is just a few weeks away and I for one would be pleased to see something in motion already. I can only imagine the phone calls I will be recieving once these ivitations go out if no update has been done. How anyone could turn down the offer of Claire is beyond me. Yes, I understand she is not the point keeper but if she can start re-vamping and work on advertising isn't that a good thing? If another person is hired to keep points these two should work together or Claire could do it if she wanted??[sorry Claire] All you need is someone up on their computer skills. This has come back to haunt us and has been shown to me that this situation needs to be put up to the top of the chart right alongside the dinner dance. Not after the dinner dance. The date of that is January 4th. That is way too late in my book to get started.
    Stevie Nicks

I hate to be a pillar of doom, but what if it's not brought up to date soon, or ever. Why can't someone(as a backup precaution)get the show results, assume the shows posted are correct and start constructing the end of the year results. It doesn't have to be all fancy on a website, just do it and maybe fax the results to the trainers. It does not seem impossible to me.

I really like the format of this bbs and for only a few hundred a year it can be installed-it's prefab.

Another idea for the new website, rather than hitting up the same Long Island businesses again, how about going after a more national market on the advertising.

for figuring out the year end results...

If Michael is in possession of the show results AND the current website, how, in the time frame of about 3 weeks, can someone get the points from him and tabulate them and post them??

I believe he is TABULATING. He's just not posting.

I really don't know what can be done for this past year at this time. As Janet has said,I heard he had tabulated through the Hamptons and just needed to post them. Plan B would be nice but what would that be?

Next year, that's a whole different story. As I said, the time to move is now. From all of these posts it is obvious how important this web-site has become. That needs to be acknowledged so forward motion can be set in!! I refuse to have this same conversation next year so I guess that is why I am so gun ho on this.
    Stevie Nicks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PONYPULR:
    If Michael is in possession of the show results AND the current website, how, in the time frame of about 3 weeks, can someone get the points from him and tabulate them and post them??

I believe he is TABULATING. He's just not posting.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Assuming he's using a spread sheet program, the toughest part is entering the data (points), the program does all the work. Then comes the posting part.

I can understand why so many people are frustrated. Remember, there are many people out there who don't read the COTH BB, and even though they occasionally check out the LIHSAA website, they really have no clue what's going on.

Question: Is Michael the only person in possession of the show results? and what does he have as a backup in case of error in data entry? does he or a second person double check on things?
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

All you have to do is assume the totals for the posted shows are correct, gather the show results for the remaining shows and do it-you don't need a special program, you don't even need the computer, people have done bookeeping without computers(back in the old days). This is simple record keeping. I would love to assume that he has been tabulating results and only needs to post, but sorry there have been far too many stories. We've only had the website format for two years, I'm assuming it was done manually prior to that.

Another question, who actually owns the URL, if it is not owned by the LIHSA perhaps first thing to do towards next year is register a new one(unless he is willing to release it).

Please, let's calm down about Michael. It appears that he will let us know who won and who lost when he's good and ready. And that's the bottom line. There is no point in discussing this here any further.

My mission is to not let any of this happen next year. And to create a website that is interesting, fun, informative, and perhaps even profitable.

Think of it in these terms-This whole thing is just a leftover from the old LIHSAA. There is a whole new group that wants to give it a bright, new look and feel. Let's help them improve LIHSAA so that it can work for all of us as it was initially intended.

But I don't think so. Would hate to see a scramble on January 3rd to figure out who won. Maybe it could be run like the academy awards and actually have surprizes.

Now about the new website, if you are going to have a meeting, let me know, I would love to help and know how to make it profitable.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jane:

I can understand why so many people are frustrated. Remember, there are many people out there who don't read the COTH BB, and even though they occasionally check out the LIHSAA website, they really have no clue what's going on.

QUOTE]
    That is why I feel we need to move towards the new web-site. Even if someone just started re-vamping it with a message board and posting info [that blank screen for the last 2 months is wasted space]a whole bunch of people would at least feel we are going towards improvemet. That is why I have no problem letting all know where I stand and will persue this!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]
    Stevie Nicks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LURKNNOMORE:

Another question, who actually owns the URL, if it is not owned by the LIHSA perhaps first thing to do towards next year is register a new one(unless he is willing to release it).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I checked with one of the commercial domain companies. The URL LIHSAA.COM is owned by Michael.
    He is also the administration and billing contact.
    The registration was arranged by Interliant Inc, Atlanta GA.

The URL was registered in Dec 1998. Usually URL's need to be confirmed and the annual fee paid on the anniversary date of registration. It is possible to arrange for a multi year registration and there is usually a grace period of a few months before the site is shut down for non payment of annual fees. The last update to the registration record was on 2/25/01. This may indicate that the web site's expiration date is in Feb 2002.

Bottom line, unless Michael agrees to a transfer you will need to obtain a new URL. The cost for that is minimal, usually less than $20 a year. However, there are additional fees for storage, bbs, updates etc. The additional costs depend on how much storage you need and what vendor you choose. It pays to shop around. Sometimes it takes a while to select a URL due to names being used, copyright problems.

Going forward you should ensure that the URL is not the property of an individual, it should be registered to the LIHSAA or LIPHA to prevent transfer problems or changes in who maintains the website. Also, by registering to an entity instead of an individual all requests for renewal fees would go to whatever association you choose so you would know exactly when the expiration dates will be.

There were a few posts suggesting that this should be resolved ASAP. To get a URL, design the site,get it programmed, test it and go live takes a minimum of 3 weeks if you use a professional provider. So, if you want it to be available for the new show season you probably needed to start on this 2 weeks ago.

I looked at the site today and noticed a few changes. The top of the page says "Coming soon,The Long Island Equestrian Directory"
    Coming soon, Weekly,Rider Spotlight". What gives??
    Is Michael making some of the changes that have been suggested or has somebody else taken over. Looks like the current web master doesn't think LIHSAA.COM is going away!!
    Fan of Sea Accounts