The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Happy to hear you know that you won the division-meanwhile the rest of us are totally unaware of the winners. Seems that the results have been tabulated.

Although I do not know you or your father, Esme, I was always very grateful for the fact that someone took the job of controlling the website and last year, your father did a great job. Everyone was very happy. But as GoldDust said, my horse could have stayed home the last few shows of this year and relaxed. But not knowing where my horse and I stood was very difficult. I do not keep count of my points and I wasn't chasing points this year. I think I say this for everyone, that we all do this for the fun of the sport and when you walk out of the ring knowing that you received a ribbon is a great feeling!!

You Esme and your sister are to be congratulated on your success.Your dad and mom should be proud to have such lovely ( and you both are ) charming talented girls!
    If you can understand some of the feelings here and be OBJECTIVE about this I'm sure an intelligent girl like you will readily admit that there is real reason for at the very least IRE on the subject of point tabulation and end of the year awards.
    Pretend that your dad isn't the computer whiz he is .That he is just a regular person.After years of doing things the old way( calling and calling Marie Gibbons to see where you are)a miracle occurs,a website with monthly updates.Voila!!! EVERYONE can see where they are and even call the webmaster about corrections!!
    The website creates so much interest that entries are up at all shows...LIFE IS GOOD
    Dinner Dance tickets grow over a two year period by leaps and bounds.
    Then the year 2001 begins not with a whimper but a bang.First the general membership learns that a MAJOR change has been made in the way things are to be done.This is learned after the fact even board members are not informed.Who had this IDEA but the webmaster!Interested parties insist ( and rightly so) that this kind of change was improperly done .The webmaster is very unhappy that the general membership seem to have taken over.New idea ( 20 horse show thing) is tabled.In fact the entire Long Island Horse show association is recreated to represent the people who actually show at these shows! What a novel idea!
    Now throughout the year with mind you 70 some shows on our schedule there are only 4 updates . This is after such marvelous service in previous years that everyone concerned gets upset. After they get upset and after emails phone calls ( I believe not every call was a rude one .)get zero results people start frothing. NO apologies from our esteemed webmaster just loads of attitude.
    Then some one notices that hey the webmaster's kids are very actively showing this year.They also notice or realize that the webmaster is really the only one who KNOWS where everyone stands.Now many people begin to notice that maybe just maybe there is a corelation between the lack of timely updates and a possible self interest .
    If the updates had been done as they had been in the past No one could've said a word.They weren't and now even making corrections is just about impossible since we have been told that we have 15 days to get it straight.Honestly this mess ,and it is a mess , is of the webmaster's own making .
    Now about point chasing .First of all,Many of the animals that show on our local circut get two weekends off every 4 weeks . Don't believe me I can name them. Some do not get that lucky.
    But all of us who have any part of a clue about this business know that LIHSAA is not a big time circuit there are two big important shows on our schedule. Winning first through 6th means not much except to the people who are getting started.
    Your horse will not get sold for an extra 20 k just because they were high score anything on LONG ISLAND.It is a nice little circuit with plenty of shows and ( more importantly) plenty of room for improvement.
    If you turn your nose up at point chasing then why did you spend evey possible moment on LONG ISland CHASING POINTS???why not spend more time at OLD SALEM ,HITS ETCETC??? I think it is really the cat calling the kettle black to say such things about your competition when you were there at almost every show beating them most of the time.
    For whatever it's worth I still say your a lovely talented well raised kid with a sister just as lovely talented etc etc . I think you two are just swell.My praise stops there.The way this entire show season was handled was tantamount to insider trading in my mind.It stinks to high heaven .But if it means so much to some people to win I say let them have what they want .Once they get it the victory will be hollow.
    Brilyntrip

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My father created that website, and yes he owns it. He brought you into the 21st century. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not even Bill Gates can (nor will) claim he's the one who brought anyone into the 21st century!

I don't know you personally, but I'm willing to assume that you're a nice girl who got a little upset reading posts that at first impression seem like they were personal attacks on your father. As someone who's been on this BB since the beginning, and have probably read every thread on or about LI, let me assure you that was not the case. As someone (Mary?) has already pointed out, this issue has been brought up many times in the past, on other threads, as well as at horse-show meetings. The general concerns were that perhaps your father was too busy, for whatever reason, to keep up. Most, if not all people were extremely understanding, and many offered their help...all to no avail. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out why at this late date many people are simply frustrated.

As for the dinner dance; I agree, it should be a fun occasion for all, regardless of whether one's getting an award or not, and quite a few people who don't even show attend the dinner dance yearly for that very reason. Of course, it's a bonus if you're receiving an award, and people have worked hard all year to achieve that goal. As for those who won't really make a big effort to attend unless they're getting an award...it's their right, and it does not necessary make them "lesser" sportsmen or whatever you want to call it. It only means people have different priorities and perspectives on things.

BTW, there are a number of regular and occasional posters on this thread, but there are far more lurkers. It would be wise to not use the term "all of you" in such a tone as you had done repeatedly, as that would only ruffle more feathers.

I'm glad the points has been updated, and results will be completed before the end of the year...I was never "chasing points", but I'm happy to see the task completed nonetheless. Besides, it's always nice to see where everyone stands! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and I'd like to just throw this in -- a horse does not need to be at a horse show to be "jumped into the ground". Many do that quite well without ever leaving home. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Ok I just decided that we are going to be going to the dinner dance after reading all this "DO YOU THINK I WOULD MISS THIS ONE"
    I could say alot here with Esme remarks about the bashing of her dad and how she feels for the animal having to suffer and riding them into the ground. "PLease" is what I have to say to that.
    Lets get a grip on what you are saying, Esme you didnt become the rider you are because you stayed home and watch on Video how to become a rider, now did you? I wouldnt throw stones at other people for what they do because you have been there and done that as well. Just needed to remind you on that, but all and all what it comes down too, is truth hurts, and I know as a daughter you would only want to stick up for your dad, hey I would if it was directed to someone in my family, I would do the same! But the fact is, is that more then one person has been effected by this, when you go to the dinner dance just look around and see how many people are there, ALL OF THOSE people have been waiting patiently on something that you have already known about for months, "THE UPDATED RESULTS". I congradulate you on your Championship, Now how about lettng us all know where we all stand!!! As a smart girl I wouldnt thought again before writing that remark.
    But enough said here, its not worth it, this year is a NEW YEAR for all and lets gets things started on the right foot, Oh by the way does anyone know when they are going to post this years points, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    I had to say it, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Now that we have all unloaded on Esme(sorry kid, your smug tone annoyed people), let's get back to next year.

One thing that we should learn from this is that there should be duplicate show results filed. Whoever ends up doing the job should obviously have one set of show results and a dependable person a second set. If our new webmaster goes AWOL, we shouldn't be held hostage.

The website should be owned by the LIHSAA, not the webmaster. I still don't see how Michael owns it, when he was paid to create it, but it is so easy to duplicate-WHO CARES. I would think though, since his daughter is professing love for this organization he, in the interest of doing the right thing would donate it-rather than being a BIG BABY.

Oh, and one more thing for Esme. You have been very fortunate throughout your riding career to be provided with very nice horses to ride, so please do not take that haughty attitude. Your mare was not "undefeatable", towards the end of the season several horses defeated you. Nobody can stand a sore loser, but an ungracious winner is even more distasteful. Try to remember that your father did not GIVE US A INCH, he sold us an inch and DID NOT deliver. As for excessive showing and point chasing, both your ponies are highlighted in blue-they seem to have been shown quite a bit, so enough already. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Prior to your posting nobody held you responsible for your father's dereliction, it's nice you came to his defense, but why isn't he defending himself? After the shit job he did this year, he's the one who owes an apology-yet he has never even offered a viable excuse.

LETS MOVE ON!!!!! Enough said is right! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I didn't have the chance to get upset about things this year since I am new to the Long Island show scene!!! Let's try to start this year off on a good note!! WHAT'S DONE IS DONE!!! Nothing we say will change it!! Let's have a good 2002!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Watch out Low Hunters!!! Sylvester is going to be great!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Well I hope!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

**Barb**
    **BARB***

Yup-time to move on and start all new bit*** for next year!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I will now start a new tread for December with the New year! Time to put this one to bed!
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

IT ALL SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!! LET'S START THE YEAR OFF WITH A NEW THREAD THAT WILL BE, HOPEFULLY, ONLY HAPPY THOUGHTS!!

This is just too EXCITING isn't it?