The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rehab/layup facilities in the midwest?

Just found out this morning that my brand-new 5 yr old TB mare has a fairly serious SDFT injury. She had a pasture accident 4 weeks ago, at which time there was too much swelling to get a clear ultrasound. Another ultrasound was done this morning and apparently it does not look good.....anywhere from 4-12 months off.

I am researching options and one of them is to send her to a rehab facility. Looking for recommendations. I am in the Chicago area and would be willing to ship her up to several hours away to the right place.

Thanks.
    friend of bar.ka

KESMARC is the only major one I know of, and it is in Versailles, KY, which is about 6 hours haul from Chicago. I am sure there must be qualified places around Arlington. I would ask your vet for recommendations, or call the closest referral vet center that does a lot of lameness work and see if they have recs.
    Good luck.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I have heard Fox Haven Farm in Grand Rapids, MI is good but I have no personal experience with it.

I saw a brochure for http://www.equispaofbristol.com/ However, I do not have any personal experience. It would be fairly close though.

Stupid question: What does a layup facility offer versus just a regular boarding facility? Like specialized care and such?

Quote Originally Posted by AzulBlue View Post
    Stupid question: What does a layup facility offer versus just a regular boarding facility? Like specialized care and such?
    I assume the OP means a hospital-like facility that allows long-term residents (LTRs) for rehab and has the necessary equipment (swimming pools, aquatreds, land treadmills, in addition to procedures like shock wave therapy, IRAP, etc etc).

I know the U of MN has an aquatred and can perform most, if not all, of the "cutting edge" treatments for musculoskeletal injuries, but I'm not sure of their LTR policy. One of mine stayed for a few months for rehab (aquatred, acupuncture, neuromusclar e-stim, among other things), but I had special circumstances. But it definitely couldn't hurt to ask, given their website advertises "rehab and conditioning", and you can't really do a good rehab program without daily activities.

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    I assume the OP means a hospital-like facility that allows long-term residents (LTRs) for rehab and has the necessary equipment (swimming pools, aquatreds, land treadmills, in addition to procedures like shock wave therapy, IRAP, etc etc).

I know the U of MN has an aquatred and can perform most, if not all, of the "cutting edge" treatments for musculoskeletal injuries, but I'm not sure of their LTR policy. One of mine stayed for a few months for rehab (aquatred, acupuncture, neuromusclar e-stim, among other things), but I had special circumstances. But it definitely couldn't hurt to ask, given their website advertises "rehab and conditioning", and you can't really do a good rehab program without daily activities.

Thanks morganpony. U of MN might be a little more than I need. I am looking for places that have the facility and staff to deal with bandage changes, handwalking, etc. and are set up for small paddock turnout etc. We will do the treatments at home, but I am interested in finding somewhere that can do the day to day specialized care that is hard for regular boarding barns to take on.
    friend of bar.ka