The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alternative to the "big yellow" eventing watch

I just wanted to share a review. Instead of dropping the almost $100 on the traditional big yellow event watch, I found an oversized watch from Champion on Amazon for $32. It's about the same size as the event watch. It has both countdown and traditional stopwatch features. In the countdown, it beeps for a few seconds when you hit zero and starts counting back up. It's pretty easy to set and has made it through 2 events so far. Seems like a good budget friendly option.

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Sport...topwatch+wrist

Does it beep every minute? I find I really hear that beep and it keeps my mental clock running on course...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Does it beep every minute? I find I really hear that beep and it keeps my mental clock running on course...
    It doesn't beep every minute. I think the "big yellow" watch only beeps every minute in regular stopwatch mode and not on countdown mode? I know it beeps with one minute left in countdown mode though. I guess those eventing specific features are what you pay the extra money for! I only compete through training right now though, so time usually isn't as much as an issue as it is for the upper levels.

I'm just starting out and will attempt first BN this year, if all goes well maybe Novice next year. Nice to know there is a cheaper alternative out there. Besides I don't like yellow all that much.

Or you can get the Timex Ironman which a lot of us use, cheap and comes in colours! I think you can set it to do minute beeps, but I don't know how. I just use the timer and set it to optimum time.

I have both the big yellow watches and a couple of these. These are way nicer as it is VERY easy to change the battery.........

In case you are wondering why I have so many I combine drive. We go out with 4 watches for the marathon LOL

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/optimum_t...eriding_watch/

You can get the Optimum Time watch from here for $73 including shipping from the UK.

If you look at watches on the Bit of Britain website they've got another type of eventing watch that comes in around $40 I believe.

I use this watch, which is about $15:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o02_s00_i00

It has up to 10 intervals on the timer, so I set it to one minute intervals and it beeps every minute. Usually I'll set the first interval for 1min 50 seconds and each subsequent one at 1 min. When they count down from 10 seconds, I'll start the stopwatch, so that way it beeps on each minute marker.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I bought a runner's watch. It cost me about £10, it's waterproof and easy to use.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I used to have a stopwatch on a band - it didn't do anything other than count up once I hit the button, but it was very simple and easy to use. The buttons were big enough to hit while moving and wearing gloves, and I could easily read the numbers while zooming along.

I now have the BYW and I really do like it. It's got BIG numbers, it beeps at me when I want it to (or not if I don't) and it's really easy to program. It was definitely one of those things I could live without for a long time because it was expensive but I got it as a Christmas present and it does make life easier.

The other watches' buttons are smaller and harder to manipulate with gloves/bouncing ponies.