The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mini with a breathing issue...

In March I rescued a mini from an auction. Clearly from the previous statement you can assume she came with some issues. After being treated with SMZ's and Dex she still has some breathing issues. I have done blood-work and I am in constant contact with the vet.

Her breathing becomes heavy when she exerts her self. At rest and a quiet walk she is perfectly fine. I didn't notice a connection to the hay/bedding/weather/etc. just exertion.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with a mini or horse. I want to put her one something however, getting it in her will be an issue considering she gets only a few pellets of feed and is very picky

No one?

Sounds like COPD. Scoping may help, as would a bronchoalveolar lavage - they can sample some fluid from the airway to see if there is pneumonia, or just inflammation, then determine a treatment plan. Often it's bronchodilators, either orally or by inhalation mask +/- steroids. Bloodwork is unlikely to yield anything helpful. They really have to look at the airways, and do some more diagnostics. Good luck.

What mjmvet said. Only I would add that if your little rescue was ever amongst donkeys that lungworm can appear much like COPD.

mjmvet isn't there a different fecal test for lungworm?

Could I suggest that you try Omega Alpha's 'Respi Free'. You give it right before work or exercise by dosing syringe and it gives substantial relief for about four hours. You can even compete on it as it has no banned substances.

I spent a summer on a mini breeding farm and quite a number had malformed nasal turbinates and skulls. Needless to say these individuals had breathing problems. Hopefully your mini has something easily treatable.

There is a different test than the usual fecal float - it's called a Baerman (spp?) preparation. It's still just fresh feces sent to the lab. You can deworm with ivermectin twice, three weeks apart if it's positive.

Interested about lungworms. I just got a mini donk, and I noticed two days ago that it sounded like he was breathing a little different. Not labored, and not really loud, just different. When I hunkered down and listened I didn't hear anything, but as I was picked his feet I heard it again. Almost like.... quiet snoring?

Can my gelding get them from him? If that indeed is what it is?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Interested about lungworms. I just got a mini donk, and I noticed two days ago that it sounded like he was breathing a little different. Not labored, and not really loud, just different. When I hunkered down and listened I didn't hear anything, but as I was picked his feet I heard it again. Almost like.... quiet snoring?

Can my gelding get them from him? If that indeed is what it is?
    Yes the horse could get lungworm if the mini donk carries a load. From what I know about them (which is little cuz a friend had the mini donk and not me) is that lungworms have a tuff time completing their life cycle in horses. So the fecal test for them may not always diagnose them in horses. And also the donkey could have a load but still be assymtomatic.

I was eye'ing a pair of mini donkeys the other day myself. Hubby would have freaken killed me if I said to bring the trailer plz dear. But they sure were as cute as can be!

Cue enabling picture!! Also, this would be why "if one has it, the other has it." They share EVERYTHING like this.

Though I wonder, since he's so small and has a refined little head with a dish to it, if it's not just his conformation. He runs around and plays hard, and certainly has no problem telling us what he thinks about whatever current situation he is in.

I guess I can deworm Odie and see what happens. Rory just had a neg fecal, so not sure there...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Cue enabling picture!! Also, this would be why "if one has it, the other has it." They share EVERYTHING like this.

Though I wonder, since he's so small and has a refined little head with a dish to it, if it's not just his conformation. He runs around and plays hard, and certainly has no problem telling us what he thinks about whatever current situation he is in.

I guess I can deworm Odie and see what happens. Rory just had a neg fecal, so not sure there...
    Cute! What an understatement!!!

You are gonna get me in a ton of trouble tonight when I show this to the hubby. He is just going to shake his head and say step away from the donkey.

If you're going to get in trouble, go all the way with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUUSq...1&feature=plcp

Quote Originally Posted by EllieBean115 View Post
    In March I rescued a mini from an auction. Clearly from the previous statement you can assume she came with some issues. After being treated with SMZ's and Dex she still has some breathing issues. I have done blood-work and I am in constant contact with the vet.

Her breathing becomes heavy when she exerts her self. At rest and a quiet walk she is perfectly fine. I didn't notice a connection to the hay/bedding/weather/etc. just exertion.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with a mini or horse. I want to put her one something however, getting it in her will be an issue considering she gets only a few pellets of feed and is very picky
    sounds like copd -