The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Locking your tack stall...

Just curious if anyone locks up their tack stall and how do you do it? Bike chain with padlock? Combo lock? We usually take our saddles with us to the hotel and lock bridles in tack trunks but there are still 100's of dollars worth of items left in our tack stall. We dont have grooms that can stay behind guard everything....Anyone ever had an entire tack trunk stolen? Recent thread on tail wacking has me a little paranoid....Just curious as to everyones menthods for safeguarding their things!
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

We pull a bike lock on ours. It is still a possibility to climb over the doors, etc. but I think that it is a good deterrent.

The barns I have ridden with always locked the tack room with chains and padlocks, and all saddles and tack were locked in the tack trunks at night.

Locks simply keep honest people honest. if you REALLY want to rip off a stall, they (most)are only held together with pins. Take saddles back to hotel or lock them in car trunks!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Couldn't someone just walk off (well, lug off!) your tack trunk as well? We've always locked our tack stall with a chain/padlock too. I've left my saddle and taken it to the hotel, depending on the show's location.

I do think given where our big shows happen here in Oregon, thievery is less likely--but it still happens. I've "lost" things ringside and had a halter taken off the stall door by, I'm assuming, a fellow competitor or spectator. Of course, I've also chased down grooms who liberated our nice, big wheelbarrow to use to clean their barn's stalls. Jackwagons! And, yeah, I know what Spanish swear words are...and who your barn's trainer is. Idiots.

Oh, and have a spare key to that padlock and don't give it to a hard-to-wake-up fellow boarder. Just sayin'
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

It is much more likely that you will have your stuff stolen if it's easy for someone to steal it.

A thief is going to move on to the unlocked stall rather than try cutting locks or climbing walls or taking walls down.

Make it harder for someone to steal your stuff and they'll move on to someone's stuff who has made it easy.

I have nothing that can't be put in a locked trunk/tote/box whatever. The box itself then gets locked to the stall grill, or locked to the trailer.
    I mean, I would leave towels out to dry or something but not eskadrons.

All padlocks are combinations so I don't have to worry about losing keys.

I suppose if someone really wanted to drag a stall wall out with my trunks, they could steal the whole kit and kaboodle, but my hope is they will skip my setup and go for someone else's that is easier.

Also my trunks are of the "Stanley" and "SportTote" persuasion, and my saddles are "off brand" for hunterland, so I don't think there would be much interest anyway. Why drag out a whole wall when all you get for it is a plastic trunk, a weird saddle, and this lousy t-shirt.

I have a locking saddle rack for my english saddle but if a theif wanted it.....it would not take long to rip the rack off the wall but take them a bit to do so!!!

I take everything home with me every night. It gets loaded back up in my Stanley trunk and into my truck. Period. One of the many reasons I got a Stanley instead of a heavy wood trunk.

with night check walking about all night long i imagine any theft is hard to do so confidence is most likely the killer. thieves would most likely want in and out without causing a commotion. but seriously, shouldn't nigh check notice that a truck/car is driving around and loading stuff into their car assuming most is stolen at night?

I guess the answer to this is in the thread about the horse with its tail mangled.

Short answer: No.

Quote Originally Posted by rapazzini09 View Post
    with night check walking about all night long i imagine any theft is hard to do so confidence is most likely the killer. thieves would most likely want in and out without causing a commotion. but seriously, shouldn't nigh check notice that a truck/car is driving around and loading stuff into their car assuming most is stolen at night?