The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Oh my God, I have never killed anything. Not so much as a bug. On purpose, anyway. So I was driving to the barn last night, blissfully dreaming of whether the mare was going to toss me or not, when a little bunny ran right in front of me. With oncoming traffic, I couldn't swerve, I braked a little, but it was instantly apparent bunny wouldn't make it.

I heard a Bang! then saw fur fly over the hood. I screamed, managed to keep the car on the road, and burst into tears (ok, I love bunnies). So I look in the rear view mirror to see what damage I had done, and nothing. I continued driving to the barn, upset, knowing I was a bunny murderer. So I get to the barn and figure I should check the front of my car for damage when lo and behold the ENTIRE bunny is plastered against my left headlight. If it hadn't been real, it would have been funny. It was hanging on to the headlight with it's front paws. I screamed, literally, and went into the barn.

It took me 20 minutes to find someone willing to go remove it. My ride was ruined, how can one concentrate when one has just murdered an innocent bunny??? My headlight is smashed to pieces. I called my husband (a hunter) who says "yah?...Can you bring it home?"

ARRRGHHHHG!!!

I feel terrible. And four days before Easter. I tell ya, the drive to the barn is getting more and more dangerous.....

Oh my God, I have never killed anything. Not so much as a bug. On purpose, anyway. So I was driving to the barn last night, blissfully dreaming of whether the mare was going to toss me or not, when a little bunny ran right in front of me. With oncoming traffic, I couldn't swerve, I braked a little, but it was instantly apparent bunny wouldn't make it.

I heard a Bang! then saw fur fly over the hood. I screamed, managed to keep the car on the road, and burst into tears (ok, I love bunnies). So I look in the rear view mirror to see what damage I had done, and nothing. I continued driving to the barn, upset, knowing I was a bunny murderer. So I get to the barn and figure I should check the front of my car for damage when lo and behold the ENTIRE bunny is plastered against my left headlight. If it hadn't been real, it would have been funny. It was hanging on to the headlight with it's front paws. I screamed, literally, and went into the barn.

It took me 20 minutes to find someone willing to go remove it. My ride was ruined, how can one concentrate when one has just murdered an innocent bunny??? My headlight is smashed to pieces. I called my husband (a hunter) who says "yah?...Can you bring it home?"

ARRRGHHHHG!!!

I feel terrible. And four days before Easter. I tell ya, the drive to the barn is getting more and more dangerous.....

Just be thankful it wasn't a deer. You would have had more than a smashed headlight and probably wouldn't have been able to drive home. Hubby would have been thrilled tho.

PS. This response is NOT meant to be funny or sarcastic.

msj
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

never swerve for small animals. Rather a dead bunny than a dead person.

But still, it is soooo upsetting, I know.

Worthy, we know you did not intentionally commit bunnycide. If it makes you feel better, maybe the bunny wanted to die, I mean, maybe his wife left him for a younger bunny, he was in debt up to his eyeballs, he was stealing from other bunnies to support his carrot habit etc. It may have been for the best....

1 members found this post helpful.

...I know I should feel sorry for the bunny....but thanks for the laugh!

Were you able to strip the bunny and get some good Easter candy off of him? We could all get on a virtual sugar high if you'd like to share some jelly beans!

Oh, Worthy, so sorry to hear about your bunny incident. Like VTrider, don't mean to giggle, but it is amusing.

Thank you all for your well wishes.

Msj, yes, you are absolutely right that I am lucky it was not a deer.
    Or worse yet, a moose...my Dad lives in Northern Ontario and trust me, if you hit one, you will die, your vehicle will be totalled, and the moose will get up and walk away.

I do believe bunny had some sort of suicidal thoughts. He ran out into 4 lanes of traffic, all going well over 80, (kilometres, that is), and his position (spread-eagled, face first) could only mean a death wish.

Hubby has my car today. He has promised to remove the fur, and order me a new headlight.

While I was extremely distraught, I will be more than willing to share my virtual stash of Easter Eggs/Chocolate Bunnies/Jelly beans. He had no will, you know. I am the sole beneficiary.

Does this mean I have to wear bunny ears and deliver chocolate to all the good girls and boys this Sunday? Have any of you seen the Santa Clause?

Worthy that awful!! Here's a story, but you have to have a hardened heart to read it. This is a true story.

2 Easters ago we were driving up our county road on Easter morning. There at the side of the road was a little white body. As we have 2 white cats that have the run of our property, we stopped the car to make sure one of "our guys" hadn't been hit by a car. Low and behold it was a bunny. But not any old bunny - it was the Easter Bunny. I guess the person who hit said bunny decided to play a joke-the little dead bunny was clutching a small wicker basket with a few chocolate eggs in it.

Worthy, that is so awful and so..... awful. I am laughing mostly because I can relate.

Years ago on a drive home from Collingwood at night, we hit something huge. It was a blond colour and ran out in front of us across a two lane road. We didn't see eyes or have even a chance to break. We stopped and tried to find it but it was nowhere to be seen. Never even thought to look at the car.

Got home and hubs went around to the front of the car to access damage. I hear some good trading floor language and go to see what's up. The fender is hanging by a thread. We just pulled it off without trying.

I think it was a dog or Coyote(are there wolves in Ontario?), but who knows. In the dark it looked like a sheep. I was afraid of that highway for a long time afterwards.
    And God took a handful of southerly wind, blew his breath upon it, and
    created the horse.\" Bedouin legend

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

It's OK Worthy - I am hear to absorb your bunnyguilt...

I have been thinking VERY evil thoughts about bunnies, who have been nibbling my pansies, my little tender newborn hostas, not to mention my (should be) blooming and beautiful clematis vine (a mere nub of it's former self). I am sure it was the sheer evilness and ill will that I feel towards bunnies that caused that bunny to make the suicide dash, so it isn't your fault...

And yes, I sorta giggled too, but unlike VT (evil, callous person that she is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ), I have some well placed bunnyanger to deal with [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have a conference room just behind my office and I laughed so hard when I read your 'Easter Bunny with a basket' that I heard the meeting get very hush for a second! Oops! Their going to take my internet access away or fire me yet!

msj
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I ran over a cat over ten years ago on my way home from a "date" (I was 16 and it wasn't much of a date, more dinner and watching tv), but, nonetheless, I was on cloud nine--until...

Kitty runs out onto the El Camino (four lane road) and right in front of me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] No time to stop and can't swerve because of oncoming traffic.

Cat was very dead and I cried all the way home where I then threw up. Way to end a great date!!

Poor Worthy, that stinks! I almost committed bunny murder myself at Pin Oak. Almost squashed bunny between tire and speed bump. Yuck. Luckily, it scampered away, avoiding the huge truck coming the other way, too. Some bunnies are luckier, I guess.

My husband always wants to throttle me when I swerve for animals. I will risk our lives (if I see the darn things) to avoid hitting them. Forget oncoming traffic...it's all about the animal! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> but unlike VT (evil, callous person that she is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ), <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll think 'evil' when I leave the ring with an armful of ribbons next week and you'll be listed as an "also ran."

Just kidding - you will EASILY kick my tail!

Yuck - it really does ruin your day, doesn't it?
    I once accidentally ran over a snake, thinking it was just a stick in the road, and had nightmares about it later.

Ahem, then there was the time a bat flew in front of the truck. I could have sworn I hit it, but never felt a bump.

A week or two later, I happened to walk around the front of the truck, and there, plastered across the grill, was...

I think I made someone else pry it off.

I missed a deer once and hit a bridge!!! Hit a german shepard on a back road pulling a trailer, and had no place to pull off. There was a state trooper behind me that took care of it, and when he caught up to me, I was shakeing and crying on the side of the road. I felt so badly--it was someone's beloved friend. I guess the biggest problem that I had, was the fact that I felt every tire (2 truck, 2 trailer) go over it...

My trainer was trailering us to a show, and as we were going down the hill by the barn, she said, "Oh, look at the cute bunnies". So, we looked at the cute little bunnies hopping in the road...and hopping in the road...and then we hit one of them. Not that there was anything that could have been done, towing two horses down the hill...but it was still kind of funny.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." ~Mal, Firefly

I feel for you. I have only killed a few birds that committed suicide by flying into my windshield and a turtle that darted into the road before I could stop. One of the birds smashed all over said windshield and I drove home trying not to throw up while I looked through the mashed bird and tried to decide if it would be better to leave it or turn on the wipers and smear around all the feathers, blood and feet.

My favorite was the person in Virginia I knew who hit a small deer, thought it was dead and put it in the backseat of her Honda. Unfortunately it was only stunned and woke up, panicked and kicked all the windows out of her car before she got the door open and it escaped.

And re: the dead Easter Bunny - here in Texas people have strange sense of humor. For some reason many armadillos (Texas speed bumps) that get hit by cars wind up lying on their backs with their little legs in the air. And someone (some good ol' boy gettin' rid of the empties no doubt) is constantly placing empty beer cans between their little claws so they wind up lying around on the shoulder of the road with a can of Lone Star clutched in their paws...It is truly a Texas phenomenon.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Well, of course I will VT, but that is because I come equipped with authentic cajun voodoo charms.
    You think SU's magic is powerful stuff? Heh heh heh heh...

Muhahahahahaaha [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

AbbyB Guest

*tut tut* No Easter PEEPs in your basket THIS year, missy.

A B B Y