The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default camp ideas

I'm pretty good at coming up with great options for summer camp for the kiddos, but this week with having 7 weeks I'm in need of some new ideas so we don't get bored!

We are having each week have a theme. . .this week was pony field day, next week for my tot week will be Princess/Pirate. With activities to match the theme.

Any other themes, with ideas for that theme are welcome! Olympics would be a fun theme too! But 90% of the kids have not ridden before, so that makes things difficult.

Lastly for my more advanced week (which pretty much means they can ride independently :P), we go on a few trips. One trip to the park to swim with the ponies, one day to a horse show and I would like to plan a third trip. . .but to where, I don't know! Most of these kids are 8-10 in my "adv" week. . ..

Maybe take them to get ice cream in town? A tack shop?

When I was at Girl Scout camp in Iowa, we'd take the kids on a "pony express ride" and trail ride them down the road and have a picnic and ride back. Or, have an overnight camping trip at the corrals.

The kids liked both.
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Lucky for us (or unlucky for our pocketbooks), we have a tack shop right next to our farm. . . .we walk the kids there almost weekly (depending on heat!) long driveway to walk .. . .we love the owner and do photo scavenger hunts there. . ..so fun!

Would love to do the trail ride/overnight camping trip. . . .would just have to figure out the logistics! Love getting ideas from others .. . .