The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Perhaps one small way we can help, even if just a little, is to open our homes to stranded air travelers known to BB members.

If you know of anyone who is stranded because of their plane landing at the closest airport, perhaps we could get a network going to provide a home cooked meal, a bed and a big hug. Please post the airport/city so that COTH BB'ers in that area can offer some hospitality.

Part of the problem is feeling so helpless -- Maybe this is one way some of us can make a small difference in the next couple of days.

Oh, BTW, I am in Lexington, KY and have a guest room ..... and horses that need exercising ( <---a [very] little humor on this dark day -- and isn't the weather incongruous -- 78 degrees, light wind and its an absolutely beautiful fall day... How can nature be so wonderful and mankind be so evil today?)

[This message was edited by Lord Helpus on Sep. 11, 2001 at 04:11 PM.]
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

Perhaps one small way we can help, even if just a little, is to open our homes to stranded air travelers known to BB members.

If you know of anyone who is stranded because of their plane landing at the closest airport, perhaps we could get a network going to provide a home cooked meal, a bed and a big hug. Please post the airport/city so that COTH BB'ers in that area can offer some hospitality.

Part of the problem is feeling so helpless -- Maybe this is one way some of us can make a small difference in the next couple of days.

Oh, BTW, I am in Lexington, KY and have a guest room ..... and horses that need exercising ( <---a [very] little humor on this dark day -- and isn't the weather incongruous -- 78 degrees, light wind and its an absolutely beautiful fall day... How can nature be so wonderful and mankind be so evil today?)

[This message was edited by Lord Helpus on Sep. 11, 2001 at 04:11 PM.]
    Don't Worry About Hurting My Feelings Because I Guarantee You, Not One Bit Of My Self Esteem Is Tied Up In Your Acceptance.

I'm about 15 minutes from BWI, should anyone need anything. While it's a SMALL 2 bedroom my husband and I share, it's got a guest bed, TWO computers with cable modems [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] , and a wine store right around the corner.

--My most accommodating strength is my willingness to humiliate myself
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

I'm in the DC area...Local to BWI in Baltimore, Dulles and National in DC

I have an open door and good food...

Always,
    FairWeather
    Stall rest is over! Hand walking may begin...but don't forget the stud chain over my nose :P
    http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

I'm ten minutes from Austin Bergstrom Airport if anybody needs a place to stay or a place to check their E-mail. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

They are expecting 20-25 diverted flights into Pearson airport, just outside of Toronto. Needless to say, if anyone knows of someone stranded on one of these flights into Toronto, please let them know that they are welcome to stay here.

And if anyone knows of someone stranded in Edmonton, please let me know and than I'll let my husband know.

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

What a nice idea LH.

One tends to feel real out of it being out West. We can only watch, read and hear of those in the midst of all the confusion. While prayers go out at each story of an individual's plight, I still feel so removed and helpless.

Though we may not be logistically able to help, I have my email listed and would be there for anyone that is overwhelmed with the world that is so so close to them. Sometimes a distant vent can be helpful.

I emailed my whole address book with a "thoughts of you" and have received some very nice responses. These are the times we need our friends the most.

I am proud to be a part of this caring group.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

If anyone ends up in Wichita Kansas [ha] email me crazymisspriss@hotmail.com

I'm about 5 minutes from Raleigh/Durham International Airport (RDU)in Raleigh, NC. I live in a dorm room, but we have a couch, and we'd be happy to help out in any way we can.(plus, we're college students and have plenty of FOOD!!) My number is 919-512-2163 and 252-671-0610 (cell phone)

**~~Rachel and Moon~~**
    www.geocities.com/rach99nc

While I'm in central PA and it's unlikely anyone would be anywhere near me, I know my parents would be more than happy to help anyone if they're stranded at BWI. It's about 5-10 minutes from my house, so feel free to email me at edempsey@wilson.edu and I can direct people to my parents.

"Technology is my friend, and sooner or later I will beat my friend into submission."

What happens to the cats and dogs who were on the diverted planes? I don't ask this in a mean spirit or to cheapen the problems "human" travlers are facing but really, will rescues/airline employees take in the cats/dogs for the night or until the flights resume??

SLW

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I live on the north side of Atlanta (airport is on the south side) but would be happy to offer a guest room, dinner and the contents of a wine cabinet to anyone who is stuck in this part of the world. 404-993-5090

Susan
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

If you know anyone stranded in Ireland, I am about an hour from Shannon and one and one half from Dublin - I have offered my house to some AMericans who are supposed to be flying out Sunday, but obviously won't. (A coupel with three kids - I met them in the bookstore and got worried they might run out of money.) If you know people who are at Goresbridge Sales or anything, let them know they are welcome in my cottage.

A friend of mine who works for Aer Lingus is stranded in Boston, but not allowed to go anywhere - she is on duty.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

If anyone is stuck at Detroit Metro, gimmee a holler. Always room for one more on the couch, and the cats love guests. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

My mom went to pick people up from Austin Bergstrom.

5 months down........6 to go
    (OMG, I totally missed month 4!!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My adventures as a working rider

theworkingrider.blogspot.com

SLW those of us in the research profession are reacting and getting the word out to the airports that we will open our facility to these special animals where possible.

I am not sure but I believe there is a network of vet clinics near our airport who take care of the issues involving pets in transit. There is usually someone in the larger international airports who is responsible for these critters, however research animals are often overlooked in their special needs. The average vet slinic is not set up to accept them.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

I am 5 minutes from the Roanoke airport and my parents are about an hour from Charlotte-Douglas. Send email if needed. Pam, this is a great idea.

Hoope, thanks for your insight.

I'm south of Kansas City if anyone is stranded.

My oldest daughter just got home from work in out little town of 5,000 and the lines for gasline were very long.

SLW

There are supposed to be a lot of flights diverted into Vancouver (I think they said maybe 4000 passengers total), I know a few of you live around there.

Aleesha