The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default supplements for horses living outside?

For those whose horses live outside, do you add any supplements to their diet because of this? Extra bug or electrolyte protection or anything? And any specific recommendations? My new horse is my first who will live outside (his preference!) Any thoughts appreciated - thanks!

I would think a horse that needs electrolytes needs them because of his workload, not because of that fact that he lives in or out. For bug protection, fly sheets, fly masks, and fly spray always seem to work better than "bug protection" supplements, which I'm convinced do little more than stink like garlic. Actually, most horses prefer a run-in shed during the heat of the day and buggiest times of the day. I think that would make them more comfortable than any supplements.

Usually it's a good idea to try to minimize the number of supplements you are feeding an outside horse, due to the risk of pasture buddies eating your expensive supplements instead of your horse eating them.

SmartPak has a supplement for horses on pasture.

Maybe cross post in horse care?

Make sure he has shelter, fresh water, plenty of good forage and a buddy if warranted.

I don't know about your region, but where I am it has been blazing sun and epic bugs around the clock, our horses are going out minimally, they don't like it.

All 11 horses here are out 24/7 and none are on supplements because of pasture. If you think about it, keeping them outdoors is much closer to what a horse "needs" than keeping them in a stall with more grain and hay.

One big EquiPride "Lix" Tub. They get what they want/need when they want it. The rest of the time, it's ignored. But they do squabble over it after rain to see who gets Lix-Soup.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Sorry- I also meant to mention that the pasture he's in really has very little grass, but free-choice hay, and he also is a big draft that only gets half a scoop of grain per feeding. I wonder if he's getting enough of the vitamins/minerals too.

But I am also pretty sure I am just being an overly concerned mama bear

Thanks y'all!