The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there a market for this?

My sister and I are wanting to start a business in making nice, high quality, classy saddle pads. Offering lots of different colors, materials, and piping. Also embroidering. I know how to sew, and I will teach my sister, and hopefully can make some pretty pads.

I want to make unique ones (white velvet with small rhinestone edges for her friesian stallion) Some will be a bit costly (have you seen the price of velvet?!?) but unlike what most saddle pad carriers offer. I have looked at Dover and they don't have what I'm wanting to make them unique and classy but not gaudy or too blingy.

Is there a market for this? Or would it just flop? I don't want to do internet sales or much from a website, but mostly at shows. (we live near Del Mar)

Also, what colors are allowed in jumping shows? I want to make nice show pads.

Just let me know any thoughts, ideas, warnings etc.

Thanks in Advance!

I also posted this in Dressage forums.

Conservative colors in jumpers (white, black, navy, etc.) but only white in hunters. Dressage folks tend to stick to white or black pads. Now, the eventers pretty much can do whatever they want on cross country and lots of folks there loooove to color coordinate. I'm sure lots of people of either discipline would like neat stuff for schooling though.

Maybe it's due to the lovely weather we're having, but doesn't velvet sound incredibly hot? And hard to clean? I'm sure it would make a beautiful pad, and I'm sure someone out there would love it, but I'm not so sure about the practicality of it all.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I would think the velvet would be fine as a "fashion" fabric on the outside, and cotton/coolmax on the underside. I'd just want billet and girth straps on a velvet pad for sure. I'd love for someone else to make saddle pads in the Euro shape besides Mattes.

I would love if someone made a Coolmax saddle pad for the horses!

YES, coolmax saddle pads!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarrx View Post
    I would think the velvet would be fine as a "fashion" fabric on the outside, and cotton/coolmax on the underside. I'd just want billet and girth straps on a velvet pad for sure. I'd love for someone else to make saddle pads in the Euro shape besides Mattes.
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=KM00012

Not only Euro, but custom! And much more affordable than Mattes. (Although obviously without fleece.)

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by janedoe726 View Post
    Maybe it's due to the lovely weather we're having, but doesn't velvet sound incredibly hot? And hard to clean? I'm sure it would make a beautiful pad, and I'm sure someone out there would love it, but I'm not so sure about the practicality of it all.
    Yes velvet would be hot and hard to clean, it's just my dream pad and I would love to see my sister's horse wear it. I would have a cooler fabric on the under side.

I would use all different kinds of materials, I thought a velvet one would be a good "advertisement" at shows if I put our name on the pad as well. for schooling in not for the actual test.

How about matching brow bands? if I make a saddle pad that has swavorski beads that match a brow band?

I think the Swarovski browbands are definitely only seen in dressage and not on a majority of horses. I've never seen them in H/J. Me thinks they're starting to go out of style.

Quote Originally Posted by alternate_universe View Post
    I think the Swarovski browbands are definitely only seen in dressage and not on a majority of horses. I've never seen them in H/J. Me thinks they're starting to go out of style.
    hmm. Ok, They are very pretty, I think a lot of people liked them, but I think you are right, they were a fad that is going out of style.

What do jumpers use for pads in shows? Anything like a navy pad with metallic silver rope piping? Subtle, but classy and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    What do jumpers use for pads in shows? Anything like a navy pad with metallic silver rope piping? Subtle, but classy and unique.
    From what I've seen, most jumpers (especially on the A-AA circuit) just go with a) white saddle pad, b) white saddle pad with subtle (navy or other similar color) trim, or c) a saddle pad in their barn colors. Although you'll occasionally see something other than these three, the navy/silver combination would probably be saved to be used at home.

I think the custom pads would probably be better suited to the eventing types who often like lots of colour (hot pink is my personal fav!). I also think that although you said you didn't want to do anything online, it would probably expand your market significantly.

Side note: I had never heard of a Euro pad before (I'm not that cool), so I checked out the link posted above. Isn't that just like one of the pads the QH people use but coloured??

I just started making saddle pads, and honestly they are hard. It takes about $20 in basic materials for one pad, plus good machine, running foot, and all the other little items. I am currently selling online. It took me 3 pads to figure out how to make them nicely (~$60 plus some start-up items). Each takes me 4-5 hours.

Remember that selling them at shows will include a cost to set up a stand (around here it is $20 for a A/AA) and Del Mar will be more expensive.

However, you can sell them for $60ish for a 'basic pad' and making fancy pads will net you alot more. Also, selling at a show means that you will not have to pay Paypal/etsy fees. It is also nice to combine horses and sewing (both of which I love!). Sitting down with the TV and sewing machine is a good way to relax after a long day.

Feel free to pm me with questions or for tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday's Child View Post

Side note: I had never heard of a Euro pad before (I'm not that cool), so I checked out the link posted above. Isn't that just like one of the pads the QH people use but coloured??
    Well, not really. They're not so that you can put your big giant numbers there, although I suppose you could.

They're great for smaller horses; I have a petite TB mare who just looks silly in regular-shaped pads....so much pad on such a little horse! I also think it helps with heat reduction. The dressage euro cut pads are not as drastic, but are even more of a life-saver for me....if a full-cut AP pad looks silly, you can only image how silly a full-cut dressage pad looks, particularly with my short-flap saddle!

The Mattes Euro cuts are drop dead gorgeous, but then again all Mattes stuff is..
    Jump: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_T1DeeF5lQE.../mattespad.jpg
    Dressage: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_T1DeeF5lQE.../Eurofitd2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maigenesis View Post
    I just started making saddle pads, and honestly they are hard. It takes about $20 in basic materials for one pad, plus good machine, running foot, and all the other little items. I am currently selling online. It took me 3 pads to figure out how to make them nicely (~$60 plus some start-up items). Each takes me 4-5 hours.

Remember that selling them at shows will include a cost to set up a stand (around here it is $20 for a A/AA) and Del Mar will be more expensive.

However, you can sell them for $60ish for a 'basic pad' and making fancy pads will net you alot more. Also, selling at a show means that you will not have to pay Paypal/etsy fees. It is also nice to combine horses and sewing (both of which I love!). Sitting down with the TV and sewing machine is a good way to relax after a long day.

Feel free to pm me with questions or for tips!
    I was wondering if there was a was I can get around the fees to set up a stand. I don't want to set up a stand so much as just have a couple signs and pads up at our stall where we show. at least at first until we get some money.

I too love the idea of combining horses and sewing/crafts. lol, thats why I make horse hair bracelets, horse styled dog blankets and Breyer saddles too! lol,

so you think I should make simple pads as well as fancy ones?