The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Show Scratch Fee Vent

I have read the numerous threads on here about crazy horse show fees. I am not sure what the answer is to the rising cost of everything, but this particular vent is about hidden or unclear fees.

I called the Deep Run Horse Show here in Virginia today to scratch my pony who has a stone bruise. I have a vet certificate indicating she is unsound to show. I am also scratching another pony because he was only going to show in one class and I don't want to make the 2 hour drive for one pony and one class.

So I checked out the rules for scratching in THEIR Prize List and is says this:

SHOW SCRATCHES: There will be a $35 FEE for show scratches without a veterinary certificate. There will be NO FEE for show scratches with a veterinary certificate received by the start of the division entered or issued by the official horse show vet.

So, I assume that I will be paying $35 for the pony with no vet certificate and nothing else. Naive, I know.

It turns out that I will be paying $25 for the pony with the vet certificate because "Every horse has an office fee". I can't find this written anywhere in the prize list. Actually this is what I found about fees:

A grounds fee of $30 per horse will be charged to all entries which show over fences and do not purchase a stall.

Even after pointing these things out I was pretty much told tough luck. That is the way it is. They have my open check.

Wasn't there a thread recently about snarky horse show office people as well.

Anyway, I know in the scheme of things, it is silly to get mad about $25, but my horse show money is carefully budgeted and all of these fees start to add up.

Yes, this is usually the case, they charge you an office fee for a scratch. Just be glad you didn't get a stall because you would be out of that money too!

Do I ever feel your pain. I just scratched one this weekend with a vet certificate - problem is I'm still out stall fees, stall splits, and office fee (which is $45 here). Something like $400 to NOT go to the horse show. It hurts.

Ugh, I know I should be glad it is only $25 and I didn't have a stall, but I am still frustrated by the fact that it says "NO FEE" in the prizelist (capitalization is theirs). I've paid plenty of scratch fees before without the need to vent because the fees were clear. If they are going to charge a $25 office fee then it should say Veterinarian scratches will be charged a $25 office fee.

To play devils advocate, it says no fee for scratching. You interpreted that to mean no fee at all. I would have interpreted it to mean that there is no ADDITIONAL fee for scratching, i.e. no "scratch fee." The office fee is not a scratch fee.

But either way, I'd be happy that you're only out $25. The last time I scratched with a vet certificate it cost me like $600...

This is partly why I don't pre-enter if I don't have to. I'd much rather just pay the late entry fee as insurance against situations like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    This is partly why I don't pre-enter if I don't have to. I'd much rather just pay the late entry fee as insurance against situations like this.
    Depends on what show you go to. A late entry fee can be up to $500. So a 1000 dollar show would then cost 1500.

Yes, the No Fee means that no additional charge will be added, but you still have to pay the office fees for them to have put you into their computer and have you 'booked' into the show, then to pull you out again. Thank goodness you didn't get a stall or that would be on your bill too.

Thank you for those playing devil's advocate. I understand what you are saying. I am just saying that it should be clearer.

So, I ask this (not that I want to pay any more money!)...If what you guys are saying is the logic behind this, than following that logic it should actually cost me $60 to scratch the non-vet certificate pony. That would be the $35 scratch fee, plus the $25 office fee. Instead I am just paying the $35 scratch fee...

I also just wanted to add that part of my frustration was the amount of snark that the message was delivered with. I was simply asking for clarification based on what was printed in the prizelist and was pretty much told to just go away. If I had been treated nicely I problem wouldn't be so upset about my measly 25 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Ponies View Post
    Thank you for those playing devil's advocate. I understand what you are saying. I am just saying that it should be clearer.

So, I ask this (not that I want to pay any more money!)...If what you guys are saying is the logic behind this, than following that logic it should actually cost me $60 to scratch the non-vet certificate pony. That would be the $35 scratch fee, plus the $25 office fee. Instead I am just paying the $35 scratch fee...
    I assumed that you HAD paid the office fee for the other scratched pony. I think, then, that you're actually ten bucks better off than you should be...

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    I assumed that you HAD paid the office fee for the other scratched pony. I think, then, that you're actually ten bucks better off than you should be...
    Actually it would make me about $25 better off than I should be (the entire office for the other pony). The bottom line is that the whole thing is as clear as mud.