The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Breeding an Unregistered Mare?

I have a "mystery mare" of unknown breeding. I was told she is a WB/TB but who knows. How would this affect her chances of being able to be bred to registered stallions? Would a solid performance/show history and good conformation work in my favor? My guess is that her offspring would not be able to be registered. I just was not sure if her mystery background would be off putting to stallion owners. I am not currently looking to breed her but was wondering for future reference.
    Last edited by RMR-AK; Jun. 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

I have one broodmare who is not registered. She is supposedly by Falke (Trak) out of "Bitters" a Connemara. She has produced at least 4 foals by RID stallions. When I took her oldest to be inspected the judges were very impressed and said Sophie was exactly what they were looking for in a sport horse mare.

However I found that it was not worth the trouble to try to determine if Beeza was indeed by Falke as any offspring would only be eligible for the lowest book, even if by an approved Trak. The funny thing is that there was some talk of opening an appendix ID book to approved RID/TB/Conn mares and Sophie's supposed Trak blood keeps her out of that as well
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

You can try to have her approved with ISR (Old NA). Two of my friend had their mares approved by ISR (both unknown pedigree) and their foals have been registred and branded with ISR.
    Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

There are a few stallion owners who screen mares but most people are selling a product (semen) and if you are willing to pay for it, they will not ask a lot of questions. It is up to each individual to be a responsible breeder.

Your mare could be entered into the lowest approval breeding books for SOME registries. A good show record and correct conformation are nice but you are certainly taking a bigger risk (if you decide to breed) than others who know what their horses' ancestors were like. I have seen foals that look just like a grandparent or even get many characteristics from a great-grandparent (things that are not seen in the dam). So, pick a stallion that has lots of offspring and clearly stamps them to slightly improve your odds.

I have a "mystery mare" of unknown breeding. I was told she is a WB/TB but who knows
    I wouldn't breed her. You don't know anything about her breeding, what if there's some undesirable breeds lurking in her pedigree, and you get a throwback?
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by JazzIT View Post
    You can try to have her approved with ISR (Old NA). Two of my friend had their mares approved by ISR (both unknown pedigree) and their foals have been registred and branded with ISR.
    This is what I am doing with my mare. She came from the Camelot Auction and background has been hard to obtain. The seller (who was private) said she was WB/TB. She looks VERY TB but could have some WB due to her substance.

She is a SUPER nice mare though. So we are taking her to the 2012 Oldenburg Inspection. The only thing that sucks is not knowing what the WB part of her is so I can work up a pedigree. I worry that I will select a stallion too closely related to her.

Right now my first choice for her is Balou Du Rouet. The chances of him being closely related are low I think..

I am still making calls and contacts now trying to connect with her previous owner to get details....

I own an unregistered andalusian mare. I know what her bloodlines are but it does me no good as the breeder is withholding papers. ( Looooong story, and I no longer care since I will never sell this mare.)
    Anyway, my point is that the IALHA would see her as a "grade" mare. Just like any unregistered mare. Her offspring, should I decide to breed her to a PRE or IALHA registered stallion, would be register-able as 1/2 andalusian. So that may be an option for you if you chose to breed her to an iberian.

There may be a few stallion owners who will worry about it, but fewer than you would imagine. Most will sell a breeding regardless. It's not like stallions in the US are getting overbooked. I think the hardest ones would be the ones that are still competing and standing to a very limited book because collection is an inconvenience.

Stallion service auctions could also be an option.... The SO has very little say in who actually purchases their breeding. Just make sure to read the fine print (know one SO who adds about $750 in booking fees to their auctions)
    The rebel in the grey shirt

As stallion owners, we personally don't have issues with breeding an unregistered mare. However, we won't breed to just any mare. The mare must meet certain criteria - either conformation/movement/temperament or a performance record. Remember, you don't ride the papers.

We have an unregistered Appendix mare who has consistently produced lovely foals for us by Thoroughbred stallions. We tried a couple of years ago to track down her breeder (who was unfortunately deceased) as her previous owner told us that he had registered several of this mare's full siblings, just not this particular mare. So, we have no idea who her sire/dam are. That being said, she is a nice mare with excellent movement and her foals have all been very nice. This year's colt is the best so far!
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0c45b8c1dc

I have an Unregistered mare, I was told by former owner that she is a Quarter horse. She deffently looks every bit to be. She is a paint but has unknown Pedigree. This is what I know, She is in foal next year to an Appaloosa stallion, he being registered. Is it possible to register the foal in the future? Possibly register the mare?
    https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...31811583_n.jpg
    Last edited by Silver Bits; May. 18, 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: to post picture

You could breed her to a nice sport horse type Arabian and get a registered 1/2 Arab foal. Choose the stallion wisely and you can go hunt type, dressage type, or jumper type. Good 1/2 Arab sport horses are selling well right now....

I think that if she's a good mare and you're breeding for yourself to keep, go for it.

The problem is probably going to be when/if you try to sell. There is not much of a market for foals out of grade mares, and unless it's spectacular and already winning, for adult horses of that breeding either.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

I've bred unregistered mares with good attritubes (temperment, conformation and movement/show record) for others with good results. However, it would be a hindrance in some markets and if selling as a youngster is the idea. It doesn't seem the hunter/jumpers have registration papers as often as dressage horses. But it still detracts from the overall idea of breeding to better the bloodlines and athleticism and being able to trace the lineage for future reference. I would not want an unregistered mare for myself to breed. If the end product is to keep or the mare is truly exceptional and breed is somewhat discernable I guess it's fine. It's certainly up to the individual but provides nothing as far as breed purposes and further produce. Stallion owners have to be aware the stallion will get the credit - or the blame, so assessing a mare is imperative.
    PennyG

Thank you everyone for your responses. This is definitely all good information to have for future reference. I was surprised to see this thread pop up especially because I recently sold my mare and purchased a gelding.