The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rule Gurus - Multiple Riders, Same horse, same "class"

Ok I noticed on an upcoming show's schedule (not my own class) that there are two people riding the same horse in several instances, in the same "class" aka training-three but are under different divisions. The divisions are all being run together as one class, but I assume (?) they will be pinned separately. From DR 126
    >>(5) When entries warrant competitions are encouraged to split classes into separate
    divisions, and to provide separate awards, for Open riders, Adult Amateurs and Junior/
    Young Riders. Horses may be ridden only once in any class, including separate divisions
    or sections of the same class. See DR119.1 (says same statement)<<

I think this is NOT allowed?? Is this something that I should be bringing up to show managment or hope it shakes itself out by the weekend if there are scratches? I am just envisioning a HUGE overhaul of the schedule because that happened last year at this show for different reasons...

Becky & the boys
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Is it a USEF/USDF sanctioned show? If not; then the rule doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Is it a USEF/USDF sanctioned show? If not; then the rule doesn't apply.
    Not necessarily. Our schooling show series, while not sanctioned/licensed/recognized, etc., runs according to USEF rules and the situation described in the OP would not be allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Yes USDF/USEF show. Level 3 I think...

Becky
    Becky & Red
    In Loving Memory of Gabriel, 1998-2005 and Raalph, 1977-2013

Definitely not allowed.

DR119.1 No horse may be ridden more than once in any Dressage class (including separate divisions or sections of the same class).
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

also
    DR119.2

Horses may compete in no more than one Licensed Competition on the same day and are limited to a maximum of three Dressage rides per day at Fourth Level and below or two Dressage rides per day above Fourth Level. Horses competing at both Fourth Level and Prix St. Georges, or their equivalents, are limited to two Dressage rides per day.
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I think they are allowed to enter (pay for) the same class with more than one rider, but would not be allowed to actually have the different riders RIDE the same class.

I could see someone with money to burn doing this so that if their horse is naughty the trainer can ride, and if being good the owner can ride. I theory wouldn't having the trainer entered in the show on the horse also allow the trainer to school the horse before the class? Then if all goes well, trainer scratches and hands horse to owner to show.

This is all theoretical, but I don't think merely entering the same class with same rider is against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Not necessarily. Our schooling show series, while not sanctioned/licensed/recognized, etc., runs according to USEF rules and the situation described in the OP would not be allowed.
    Just because a schooling show says they run in accordance to the rules 1) doesn't mean they do 2)they don't answer to anyone, so if they want to make an exception, they can.

Quote Originally Posted by CHT View Post
    I think they are allowed to enter (pay for) the same class with more than one rider, but would not be allowed to actually have the different riders RIDE the same class.

I could see someone with money to burn doing this so that if their horse is naughty the trainer can ride, and if being good the owner can ride. I theory wouldn't having the trainer entered in the show on the horse also allow the trainer to school the horse before the class? Then if all goes well, trainer scratches and hands horse to owner to show.

This is all theoretical, but I don't think merely entering the same class with same rider is against the rules.
    This is correct. It is legal per USEF to ENTER the same class with both riders.

My trainers have done that in the past with a horse who might act up. The trainer and the AA/YR enter the class: if the horse is naughty, trainer rides; if the horse is fine, AA/YR rides. No biggie, as long as both don't ride the horse in the same class at the same show.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

Yes, it is legal to enter as long as only one rider ultimately competes.

CHT - No, trainer doesn't have to be entered in the show to ride the horse in warm-up.

Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    Just because a schooling show says they run in accordance to the rules 1) doesn't mean they do 2)they don't answer to anyone, so if they want to make an exception, they can.
    Perhaps, but I was talking about my GMOs schooling shows, about which you clearly know nothing, and about which I know a lot.

Perhaps, but I was talking about my GMOs schooling shows, about which you clearly know nothing, and about which I know a lot.
    that smiley face doesn't cover the witchiness of the post. really wasn't necessary.

I didn't like the implication that our shows don't do what they say they do. That kind of stuff brings out the witchy in me.
    Last edited by SillyHorse; Jun. 22, 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Yes, it is legal to enter as long as only one rider ultimately competes.

CHT - No, trainer doesn't have to be entered in the show to ride the horse in warm-up.
    In Canada, at Silver and Gold shows, only the competing rider(s) may ride school the horse. Grooms can walk on a loose rein only. So if the trainer wants to school/ride at the show, they must be entered as a competitor on that horse.

Although if we are discussing schooling shows, then that rule doesn't apply

I was not aware that was different in the US. .

Quote Originally Posted by ponysize View Post
    that smiley face doesn't cover the witchiness of the post. really wasn't necessary.
    Witchiness is in the eye of the beholder !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Witchiness is in the eye of the beholder !

Schooling shows should be about learning and getting experience. If a trainer brings some young riders to a show and only has a few school horses, sometimes they need to share. I think that's worth making an exception. We need new young riders in the sport, so let's encourage them!

The show the OP is referring to is not a schooling show, but a USEF recognized show, where everyone has to play by the rules.

Default Many (many) years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Galloping Granny View Post
    Schooling shows should be about learning and getting experience. If a trainer brings some young riders to a show and only has a few school horses, sometimes they need to share. I think that's worth making an exception. We need new young riders in the sport, so let's encourage them!
    I was a working student at a local eventing oriented barn, along wth two other young women, and our trainer wanted us to get our first experience going to a show. We were all very green and working students more for our eagerness to learn than for actually knowing much of anything before we started with him. We had one "reliable but not push button" schoolie that was capable of going to a show and just doing his job. We received permission from the organizers of a local schooling show to have the three of us get a chance to ride him in the same class without having to go HC. It was Training Level 1, we all got to get our very first test sheet with judges comments, one of us won a prize (whoo hoo! Not me, but yay us), and no one at the show had a problem with it. This was in the dark ages of dressage in NC. I don't know if folks would be so understanding now.

But of course totally not allowed at a rated show.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!