The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What's worse, first two weeks or last two weeks?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • First two!

12 26.67%
  • Last two!

19 42.22%
  • BOTH!

13 28.89%
  • omg, thank goodness my foal days are over, I can't take it.

1 2.22%

Default What's harder to wait for, the first two weeks or the last two weeks?

I was thinking about this today. My mare's done having babies. I remember the wait for the black dot, and then just chilling for 11 months until the last two weeks, wondering when the baby was going to come out, lol... I don't know which was worse!

Her first baby for me was a filly, and she had her at exactly 320 days, totally caught me by surprise. So the last one I was ready at like 315, she was not going to surprise me again. But this one was a boy, so she cooked him for like an extra two weeks. Torture! LOL But he was worth the wait.

No comparison. You never know exactly when the last two weeks are and the mare doesn't die if she isn't in foal at the two week check, she could possibly die if you miss the foaling and even if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    No comparison. You never know exactly when the last two weeks are and the mare doesn't die if she isn't in foal at the two week check, she could possibly die if you miss the foaling and even if you don't.
    This ^. The last 2 weeks is extremely stressful, so much can go wrong.

Oh Lord, I've only done 1 foaling and the last weeks were by FAR the hardest! I swear about a month out I put my mare out, her udder had *just* started making changes, I went to work, then panicked and called my neighbor to pleeeeeeeze keep an eye on her 'cause I was sure I had made the wrong decision LOL At that point I told my boss with few exceptions I was going to be working from home until she foaled LOL

You don't know when the last 2 weeks are! Then she gets closer, obvious changes and progression, and despite having my MareStare cam up, I was on edge all the time

But it went well and the stress didn't put me off wanting to do it again

The last two weeks are torture! I have a mental list of all the worst possible thigns that can happen and no matter what I am doing, that list is scrolling in the back of my mind. Like terrible background music!

I, personally, was the most stressed the first two weeks when we were on the third try to get the mare I had bought that spring, strictly as a broodmare, pregnant, because if it didn't happen I wasn't breeding her back again. I was looking at losing a lot of money and having to wait another year to possibly loose more.

But that's not normal...

Also, I shipped her to the vet's to foal. So while I was stressed, I knew she was in excellent, experienced hands and that helped a lot.

Thinking back, I was actually more worried about her foaling the foal before. I bought her pregnant and that foal went back to the other breeder. Also, that was her first foal....
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I'm in the last 2 wk camp. The first 2 is disappointment with failure, but the last 2 can cause so much heartache if it goes wrong.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

the last 2 where you actually lose sleep....

i'll let you know in a year!

Absolutely the last two--I find it easier to guess when they've gone in foal than to predict when they are going to foal.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    Absolutely the last two--I find it easier to guess when they've gone in foal than to predict when they are going to foal.
    Ditto this.

*Is currently waiting on her last mare (who is overdue) to foal*
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

First two.

When I get to the last two, I am very much in a resilient mode, "whatever happens, happens and so be it". That doesn't mean I take every precaution, but I become very zen in a way. I watch my mare like a hawk, but it's not like there's any "turning back" at that point anyways...

The last two for sure! The first two are early in the season, and you can try again. Waiting 11 mos and then worrying about all the things that can go wrong does my head in! I don't even think about the first two weeks
    Visit us on FB : ~ http://www.facebook.com/Leopard.Rock.Appaloosa.Stud
    Breeders of the JG Wap line of Appaloosa Sport Horses