The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Amendment Passed that reduces funding for horse processing plants

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle....D=20197&src=RC
    Now why am I not surprised that there is going to be a reduction for funding in inspecting horse processing plants. From what I read the government has opted to continue the inspections of cow, sheep, pig processing plants but there wont be any funding for the horse processing plants. Why is it all of a sudden there wont be any money/funding in which to inspect these plants that are proposed around the country? So horses wont be allowed the same policies that protect cows, sheep, etc from abusive practices at the slaughter plants? Gee wonder what is going to happen there? Also, wonder how much of this has to due with the plants being owned by foreign countries. I hope for all that believed that once the law passed and opened the doors for horse slaughter plants to be reopened under the guise that these plants were to be inspected etc, have had their eyes opened.. I wonder how long its going to take the government to empty their holding pens of the mustangs?

Food for thought.

Actually, it will mean no horse slaughter plants will be able to operate in the U.S.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Quote Originally Posted by MandyVA View Post
    Actually, it will mean no horse slaughter plants will be able to operate in the U.S.
    Correct.

Not all processing plants require the ongoing presence of an inspector. (USDA inspector)

Plants processing horses do. There is no exemption available for plant operators.

No inspector - no plant.

There are exemptions that exist for certain types of processing; it's pretty complex and it depends on what species and number of animals processed.

None of that applies to equines - there is no way a small custom plant can offer processing to a horse owner - even if the intent is for humane euthanasia and disposal of the carcass.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

With the new EU regs I don't think horse slaughter, at least for the European markets, was going to be a viable industry anyway.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I could see equine slaughter being added to the custom exempt provisions of the Federal Meat Inspection Act - but personally I'd find that extremely problematic.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I think I recall that that is how they stopped horse slaughter before. They didn't ban it, they just refused to fund inspections, which defacto closed the doors. If that is the case, this would be a win for the anti-slaughter movement.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    I could see equine slaughter being added to the custom exempt provisions of the Federal Meat Inspection Act - but personally I'd find that extremely problematic.
    This administration put animal rights extremists in regulatory positions.
    They are not going to let anything like horse slaughter happen during their watch, that is a given.

Quote Originally Posted by PoohLP View Post
    I think I recall that that is how they stopped horse slaughter before. They didn't ban it, they just refused to fund inspections, which defacto closed the doors. If that is the case, this would be a win for the anti-slaughter movement.
    Correct. This is a return to the prior status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    This administration put animal rights extremists in regulatory positions.
    They are not going to let anything like horse slaughter happen during their watch, that is a given.
    Except that that's a bill from the House appropriations committee, not the Executive branch. And the House is majority R's, and not exactly amenable to suggestions from the Executive branch. And the head of the appropriations committee is a Republican from the horse-centric state of KY.

And it's proposed funding for one fiscal year, and there aren't any plants currently operating in the US, and they're looking for ways to cut the budget to the Dept. of Ag.

But otherwise, carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lame View Post
    Except that that's a bill from the House appropriations committee, not the Executive branch. And the House is majority R's, and not exactly amenable to suggestions from the Executive branch. And the head of the appropriations committee is a Republican from the horse-centric state of KY.

And it's proposed funding for one fiscal year, and there aren't any plants currently operating in the US, and they're looking for ways to cut the budget to the Dept. of Ag.

But otherwise, carry on.
    The new regulatory Czars are not dependent on either.
    Not only that, if you think everyone is not in everyone else's business and pockets, you have not been following politics long enough.

Meh - I don't see how animal welfare is enhanced by cramming the animals into trailers and trucking them over our borders.

Not sure how anyone can call that a "win" unless they are more concerned about scoring points than they are with animal welfare.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Meh - I don't see how animal welfare is enhanced by cramming the animals into trailers and trucking them over our borders.

Not sure how anyone can call that a "win" unless they are more concerned about scoring points than they are with animal welfare.

I know I should not laugh.
    The subject matter is really not funny.

alas, the point has been made - uh - well over six years ago, while we still had 2 operating plants on US soil.
    it's not about welfare. never was.
    It's not about the horses, never was.
    It's about the agenda. it always was.

Sadly, all the people who back then cheered for the closure of the US facilities returned quickly to the finger pointing once it was clear who the fallout was going to settle.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Well, I'm not just thinking about horses, but about all species. And for me it's a timely issue because it's something I'm working on this very minute.

Well, not really. I'm supposed to be developing a proposal and I've got the material in front of me..... but I'm procrastinating.

One problem that is almost impossible to overcome is the NIMBY phenomenon. Oh sure, folks wax poetic about the charms of the quaint little farmer on this tractor, and they just love the fact he's protecting open space.....

Just don't actually produce anything. To get that food to the table requires infrastructure - and that includes plants of all sizes. But folks can't stand the thought of a plant, even a small custom one anywhere near them. No matter how well designed, how progressive, doesn't matter.

NIMBY.

Which means increased consolidation, fewer plants, and more animals being transported long distances.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Well, I'm not just thinking about horses, but about all species. And for me it's a timely issue because it's something I'm working on this very minute.

Well, not really. I'm supposed to be developing a proposal and I've got the material in front of me..... but I'm procrastinating.

One problem that is almost impossible to overcome is the NIMBY phenomenon. Oh sure, folks wax poetic about the charms of the quaint little farmer on this tractor, and they just love the fact he's protecting open space.....

Just don't actually produce anything.

well then, get to work!
    We will never be able to vote you into the White House if you start slacking!

alas, I hear you loud and clear.
    The quaint little farm....with the free range chicken...carrying salmonella (yep, one reason they invented batteries for laying hens)
    the manure and the flies....
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

The quaint little farm....with the free range chicken...carrying salmonella (yep, one reason they invented batteries for laying hens)
    the manure and the flies....
    Hey - stop making fun of my farm. I actually prefer the grass fed beef I raise here, and the pork is fabulous (didn't raise any hogs this year though)

Chicken tastes great too. Eggs are wonderful.

Can't feed billions of people that way though.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Oh look, this thread again.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lame View Post
    Who is the regulatory czar for Agriculture?

Thank you for the (typical) little patronizing comment about how long I've been following politics. Not a snowball's chance that I could know more about the topic than you, eh?
    One example:

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/19017

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Yeah, that reads like a reputable source. Oh, wait no it doesn't. At least find a reputable source to link. One from in the US would get you bonus points.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Hey - stop making fun of my farm. I actually prefer the grass fed beef I raise here, and the pork is fabulous (didn't raise any hogs this year though)

Chicken tastes great too. Eggs are wonderful.

Can't feed billions of people that way though.

it's only the green eyed monster speaking...
    GNU Terry Prachett