The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stallion suggestions for dressage? # PLEASE READ POST 37! #

I would appreciate any serious input about the stallion I should use on my mare for next year.

She has never been bred yet but I need to make a decision soon in order to reserve the semen.

The is by Laurent (Lauries Crusador xx) out of a Federweisser x Fabriano mare.

She is currently 3,5 years old and already 172cm high, so I don't think size will be an issue. I really like the way she's built, except for her neck set - its set slightly low and could be a little longer - and her hind leg - a bit straight.

She's a very light type.

Her trot is excellent, with lots of swing and suspension. Her walk is good too, but her canter really needs improvement.

So basically I'm looking for a stallion that throws good canters and lots of power in the hind leg.

I'll probably be keeping the baby, but we never know how things turn out so the stallion should be a well known one so its makes it easier if I decide to sell.

Right now my favorites are Weltmeyer and Quattro, but I've been told Earl, Furstenball and Rubin Cortes might work as well.

I am in Europe so I think it would be easy to get German or Dutch semen.

I appreciate all help, I'm feeling more and more confused everyday!
    Last edited by SCMSL; Dec. 9, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Horses known for improving the canter:
    Don Primero
    Florencio
    Don Romantic
    Don Schufro
    De Niro

Of these choices, given your other criteria, I would go with Florencio or De Niro =)

Concetta - I don't really know Rhodium but on a quick search on google I found out he's not approved for hanoverian.

Trinity - I also love both Don Schufro and De Niro, but their semen is quite expensive. I don't really know what this mare can throw in the table, so I don't know if I am willing to spend too much money...

Anyway, where can I get De Niro's semen? How good is it?

I am not being original but I will suggest Dauphin. He is a very correct son of Donnerhall, on the smaller side (16h1) but your mare is pretty tall. He is known for throwing good walk, canter and rideability (ammy friendly minds). His semen is very good (frozen) and not that expensive. He is approved hanoverian.

Edit to had that a son of Dauphin, by a Fabriano mare, is now under the saddle of Imke Schellekens-Bartels, two times olympian dutch dressage rider.(Don Presidente)
    Vergissmeinnicht.
    Forgive me, between French, English, and German, I'm sometimes completly lost

i would go with Weltmeyer or Wolkentanz I

Just checked a video of Dauphin, he's such a poney! hehehe

I don't really know what my mare throws, so I don't know if I should use such a small stallion...

Wolkentanz was an option too, but I heard his semen isn't that good, and for embryo transfer you really need great semen.

What about Belstaff?

In terms of bloodlines it would look like this: http://www.sporthorse-data.com/dbtes...damid=10817719

It would bring back some more Weltmeyer and Bolero blood through Brentano II, and also Donnerhall through De Niro...

What about Don Frederico or Don Frederic. Don Frederico is known for improving the canter.

Regarding De Niro, I do not agree that he improves the canter. He brings a lot of other desirable qualities, just not the canter.

Dan

Don Frederic is a bit too young for my taste, nobody knows what he brings to the table yet.

I would like the stallion to bring some Bolero blood, I think it would complement my mare...

How about Belissimo M? Very proven, and his son Bonifatius is out of a Lauries mare and stands at Celle.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I think Belissimo might have a little too much TB blood. Also, I don't really know Romadour II...

How about Bugatti? I have a whale of a gelding by him...you'll have some Bolero blood. Mine has an amazing canter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Regarding De Niro, I do not agree that he improves the canter. He brings a lot of other desirable qualities, just not the canter.

Dan
    I was basing my recommendation on his high ranking on the BLUP. His index (for canter) is 140, which says to me that he does typically improve the canter.
    http://www.blup.se/en-US/rank/stallion/canter/desc/40
    I don't think DeNiro's canter is all that great but he apparently throws it. I can think of several of his sons that have scored 9 or higher on their canters...

Quote Originally Posted by Alianna View Post
    How about Bugatti? I have a whale of a gelding by him...you'll have some Bolero blood. Mine has an amazing canter.
    I think it is generally agreed that Bugatti tends to throw similar to the mare in terms of substance. My Bugatti filly is SUPER refined, though she will be taller than her dam (I think). He did score 9's on all gaits, though.
    I don't know if frozen semen is currently available in Europe, either.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinitySporthorses View Post
    I think it is generally agreed that Bugatti tends to throw similar to the mare in terms of substance. My Bugatti filly is SUPER refined, though she will be taller than her dam (I think). He did score 9's on all gaits, though.
    I don't know if frozen semen is currently available in Europe, either.
    I used Bugatti on a premium Donnerhall X Calvados mare.. and although I ended up with a gorgeous filly... Definitely did not improve the movement.. I ended up with less then either

I was basing my recommendation on his high ranking on the BLUP. His index (for canter) is 140, which says to me that he does typically improve the canter.
    http://www.blup.se/en-US/rank/stallion/canter/desc/40
    I don't think DeNiro's canter is all that great but he apparently throws it. I can think of several of his sons that have scored 9 or higher on their canters...
    Based on the Hannoveraner Hengste Yearbook 2009 the canter score was 111 based on results of the mare performance test. 111 is very average to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love De Niro. We just bred our mare Farina to him! Based on the tail rubbing signs, I think it took. Official results to follow.

Dan

Just looked at Belissimo M, they're asking 1500€ per cover. For a maiden mare, its a bit of a risk. And this would be multiplied for at least 2 because we're inseminating 2 mares with the embryos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Based on the Hannoveraner Hengste Yearbook 2009 the canter score was 111 based on results of the mare performance test. 111 is very average to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love De Niro. We just bred our mare Farina to him! Based on the tail rubbing signs, I think it took. Official results to follow.

Dan
    Very interesting, thanks for looking that up. I would believe the German scoring because they have likely had far more offspring to base it on.

Very interesting, thanks for looking that up. I would believe the German scoring because they have likely had far more offspring to base it on.
    Your welcome.

Dan

Thats funny trinitysporthorses....my Bugatti gelding is 16.2+ at three and is built very nicely...he came from a 15h smaller built mare (by Contucci) who was a good mover but not like him. Maybe I got a fluke!