The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small gift for a friend with a new horse?

So, a bit of a silly topic, but I'd like to get a little something for my friend who is buying a new horse. We ride together most days (but only for the last 2 months) and she painted my horse's crumbly feet for me while I was out of town. I thought I'd get her a little something as a thank you and also to celebrate her new horse. Any suggestions? We are both working adults who ride in the evenings after work.

How about a cute turnout halter? There are so many colors and cute designs you could choose from and they are not that expensive.

If you know the new horse's name, a bridle tag/stall plate/tack trunk plate?

The nameplate bracelets are a great inexpensive gift.

A nameplate bracelet (Smartpak has some really fun padded ones) or a pretty picture frame with a plate on it with the horse's name.

Depending on your budget and your local stores:

- horse treats
    - hoof pick with a tag with horse's name
    -lead rope with horse's name
    - lesson with her trainer
    - schooling saddle pad with horse's name embroidered
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Personally I wouldn't go for something with the horse's name on it. What if something goes wrong (pre-purchase, not the right fit, etc) and she decides to send the horse back or she changes the horses name? A bag of horse treats in a little flower pot with her name painted on it would be very cute! Or a saddle pad with her name on it would be nice, depending on the types of pads she rides in. If she never uses a square pad that's embroidered or colored (like plain white pads or fitted pads), then maybe she doesn't like the colored embroidered pads. Hope I helped.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

A basket filled with carrots and apples!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I got my friend a grooming tote in her favorite color (and the color she was going to "deck out" her new mare in) - purple! Another friend got her a nice, nylon breakaway halter (no embroidery), also in purple. I think it's nice to find something personal - either for the person or the horse.

I like the idea of the saddle pad with the person's name on it. Also, the horse treats, maybe in a cute personalized container is a great idea.

Such a nice, thoughtful idea for you to do!

Smartpak is having a sale on pads, so you could either get the horse's name embroidered, or her monogram. If the name was changed/something happened, you could return it/exchange it.

I think a monogrammed saddle pad would be a really nice idea. If you have it monogrammed with her initials there will be no worry about whether her horse works out or not. I have the SmartPak catalogue in front of me right now, the Lite AP Saddle pad looks like a nice schooling pad on sale for $11.95.

But if you don't want to seem too "over the top" for your new friend a horse treat gift basket would also be cute. Fill it with a few carrots, apples, peppermints, and small bag of your favorite horse treats. If you want to add a little more you could throw in a new hoofpick and/or a brush. It will look cute and not be too specific to any particular horse if that is a concern.

Have fun Let us know what you go with!

A tote (plastic cleaning supply tote, if money is tight -- or right now (like TODAY) TOTD has a tote/grooming bag for sale at a "ridiculous, tacky price") with a couple new brushes and a curry and a 3 pack of hand towels (from the Dollar Store) to use as rub rags.

Round out the above with carrots and apples for a nice presentation.
    If it weren't for horses, a man would be the best thing in the world.

I recently bought a new brush and because brushes are constantly growing legs and walking away, I decided to customize it a bit. I painted the top (had leftover paint from kitchen remodel) then wrote my last name on the top. Sealed it and let it dry. It came out super cute and only cost about $10.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

horse treats are always a welcome gift! Especially the nice ones like Paddock Cakes.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I'm leaning toward either a monogrammed saddle pad (and thank you for the heads up on the smartpak sale, I need some for myself) or a basket with some horse treats and other stuff. Both the horse she is leasing and her new horse are total cookie fiends and I swear my leased horse is extra good to me because I supply the paddock cakes!

I have often made homemade horsey treats (muffins) that go over well. Not expensive, but shows you took the time and care and that you are thinking of her. I like the pad idea, too.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Cactus cloth.

Horses love 'em and rubbing with one of these is a great way for your friend to bond with her new horse.

Oh, and it will last for 15 years....taking off sweat stains, mud, whathaveyou.

Cactus cloth. Eight bucks of pure, thrifty old skool joy.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

There's a girl on ebay who has custom baby pads for about $16.00...

Default Cactus Cloth

Where do you find the Cactus Cloths at? Those sound great!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
    Where do you find the Cactus Cloths at? Those sound great!
    Any tack store should have them in the grooming department.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.