The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Goopy eye - vet appointment or not?

My mustang has had a goopy eye for a few days now - it is that eye-booger-whitish-yellowish that rolls around on the eye's surface and globs up in the corner of the eye. I think it is from the flies that got up into his fly mask. For a couple days, when it was most goopy, his eyelid was puffy and crusty in the mornings. Since I got him a new fly mask that the flies can't get into, the goopiness has gone down. I had made an appointment with the vet a couple days ago, but today the symptoms are almost gone - should I keep the appointment . . . could it be an infection for which he'd need antibiotic eye drops or anything, or just an allergic reaction?

I don't let eye troubles go unchecked. Your diagnosis sounds right but still...maybe a fly got into his eye and made footprints on it...
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Always, too much can happen if there is something going on.

I always err on the side of caution with eye "stuff" after having seen a few things that went unchecked go bad. The nastiest thing I ever saw was seeing fly larvae being flushed from an eye...blech!

I would have flushed it well with saline the first day and if it didn't go away then I would have had the vet out. At this point I would go straight to the vet since it has been so long.

Yup, don't not to dink around with eyeballs. They can go south so quickly.Jingles for da mustang!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Ditto call the vet ASAP and make sure to keep the fly mask on. Eye infections are usually very contagious. (Flies going from one horse eye to another.)
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Eye problems = vet ASAP. Never screw around with eyes.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

ditto. Eyes can go bad really fast.

(I think you have the message by now...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    My mustang has had a goopy eye for a few days now - it is that eye-booger-whitish-yellowish that rolls around on the eye's surface and globs up in the corner of the eye. I think it is from the flies that got up into his fly mask. For a couple days, when it was most goopy, his eyelid was puffy and crusty in the mornings. Since I got him a new fly mask that the flies can't get into, the goopiness has gone down. I had made an appointment with the vet a couple days ago, but today the symptoms are almost gone - should I keep the appointment . . . could it be an infection for which he'd need antibiotic eye drops or anything, or just an allergic reaction?
    dont ever muck about with eyes
    get a vet asap or let him go blind
    so many people will give you advice of what to do not to do, but if this was your eyes
    where would you go for proffessional help

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    My mustang has had a goopy eye for a few days now - it is that eye-booger-whitish-yellowish that rolls around on the eye's surface and globs up in the corner of the eye.
    My morgan developed this slowly over a period of time several years ago. I finally woke up and really noticed it and had the vet out. She did a full exam including checking to see if his tear ducts were clogged and he was fine. She said it was likely some kind of mild allergy, since he was unaffected I opted not to go through allergy testing on him.

He's still had this mildly goopy eye all these years. Wiping the "eye cookies" from the corners of his eyes became just a normal morning routine. His eyes were never bothered, etc., and he's always been fine.

A few months ago, I allowed myself to run out of flax seed, I wanted to see if my horses would really miss it in their diets (one did the other not). Anyhow, very very slowly, his goopy eye cleared up. A couple weeks must have went by before I realized I wasn't wiping out eye cookies every morning. This is the first time my horse has not been on a flax product of some kind and he was goop free for the first time in my owning him.

I recently purchased more flax, my older horse really does do best on it. I reintroduced it to my Morgan, and 3 days later, goopy eye.

Just thought it was weird and worth sharing, would never think of a food allergy causing such a mild issue.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Just thought it was weird and worth sharing, would never think of a food allergy causing such a mild issue.
    Soy makes my mare's eyes goopy. Did the same thing, had it and tear ducts flushed, used ointments, etc. Nothing helped until I removed soy. Every now an then when she has an IR "flare up", her eye will swell.